05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

My quote for painted stripes

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/06, 07:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stang9325 @ February 24, 2006, 2:31 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
He told me that I wouldn't be able to feel the stripe at all. My qoute includes wet sanding, etc. and clearing all panels that are to be painted. I think the $1762 deal is a good one. I think I will call him tomorrow and schedule it to be done. I don't think I can go wrong with this. I will start a new thread when it is done with pictures.
[/b][/quote]

Can't wait to see some pics! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] You will be blown away the first time you see your car all striped up in person. The feeling is so surreal. I had a smile a mile wide, when I saw my car for the first time, after the painter was done. Also, you will be noticed ALOT more by passers by.
Old 2/24/06, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropped the car off a couple of hours ago. The ducktail will be here Monday or Tuesday. They said they were going to prep the car this weekend and call me to go over there to look at a sample they are going to make up with a pearl white color (on a seperate piece of metal) so that I can decide on the stripe color. Should be done late next week.
Old 2/24/06, 03:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Can't really comment on stripes but I live in a somewhat rural area and it cost $600 to get the middle of my hood painted black. This involved removing the hood, the liner and the re-install with new clips for the liner. Most of the labor cost is for "non-paint" work which of course is sometimes easy to not think about. For example, having my chin spoiler paintedt ran just $60 - it was not on the car.
Old 2/24/06, 07:42 PM
V6 Member

I just got my stripes done at the dealer AND I got my mirrors painted AND I got a door ding repainted and the whole panel removed, fixed and clearcoated again! Total cost was just under 2000.00. They did an awesome job!!!!! And at the dealer no less! They wet sanded everything correctly and clearcoated several times. You cannot feel any lines whatsoever and it looks really, really good!!!!

By the way, I got 12" stripes with a 2" spacing
Old 2/25/06, 08:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SVTJackl @ February 24, 2006, 9:45 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I just got my stripes done at the dealer AND I got my mirrors painted AND I got a door ding repainted and the whole panel removed, fixed and clearcoated again! Total cost was just under 2000.00. They did an awesome job!!!!! And at the dealer no less! They wet sanded everything correctly and clearcoated several times. You cannot feel any lines whatsoever and it looks really, really good!!!!

By the way, I got 12" stripes with a 2" spacing
[/b][/quote]

Hey George, your car sounds awesome looking, CONGRATS [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] !! Please post pics as soon as you can. Doesn't Vista Blue look so much different with the stripes? I just love how my car looks. Can't wait to see the pics. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/25/06, 06:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

I really checked around but the area that you live probably dictates some of the cost. I think that for a decent job (taking car apart, sanding,painting) would be anywhere from 17-2,100.00. Then you add the cost of the ducktail and it goes up a few hundred. I don't think people really know what goes into a good paint job. You just don't mask, whip out a spray can and let it soak in the sun. There is a lot of body work involved but again, it probably depends on the area you live and what the cost of living is....I'm in NE ohio which has a lot of paint shops and such.
Old 2/25/06, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm curious bill, where'd you get your stripes done? I remember seeing your car at Summit last August.
Old 2/27/06, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I dropped off my ducktail today and picked up the sample piece he made up. Both are types of pearl white with differences between them. The first one (can't remember the name) was kind of a flatter looking pearl white. It was definately white, but didn't stand out a whole lot. The second one was called frosted blue pearl, I think. It is definitely a cool looking color and you can only see the blue hue while looking at it at an angle. I would post a picture, but I don't think you would really be able to see the blue in the white paint.

This is an interesting color and was wondering if anyone else has seen it or heard of it?
Old 2/28/06, 01:10 AM
Bullitt Member

No one have any opinions?
Old 2/28/06, 03:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'd say go with the Frosted Blue Pearl paint color. Sorry for the delay, I didn't have time to check the site last evening. If you go with that color, and you take the car to a car show and its at night, the lighting from street lamps and parking lot lights, would really make that color shine. Can't wait to see some pics.
Old 2/28/06, 03:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I paid about $1600.00 for mine, but it included several clear coats over the stripes wich were then wet sanded smooth and buffed ( no Ridges )

$2500 seems a little high....
Old 3/1/06, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, decided on the "frosted pearl blue", or whatever its called. Can't wait to get the car back. They said it should be early next week, but we all know how that goes....
Old 3/1/06, 11:06 AM
V6 Member

I'm dyin' - mine is still getting painted. It's been raining the past week and it slows them down a lot. Looks like I won't get her back till next week!
Two weeks and no car!
Drat!
Old 3/1/06, 11:18 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ranger @ February 24, 2006, 5:30 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Can't really comment on stripes but I live in a somewhat rural area and it cost $600 to get the middle of my hood painted black. This involved removing the hood, the liner and the re-install with new clips for the liner. Most of the labor cost is for "non-paint" work which of course is sometimes easy to not think about. For example, having my chin spoiler paintedt ran just $60 - it was not on the car.
[/b][/quote]

Hey Ranger, where in VA are you? I'm in Front Royal and got a quote from Charlie at Shenandoah Ford body shop for about half that to black out my hood and paint my rear spoiler. That was after the initial $750 quote and about a week hanging out and B/Sing with him and the painters. Mickey, one of the painters, has a white ’05 that he painted on stripes and it looks awesome! They have a great reputation but also have a reputation for being pricy. You get what you pay for and it never hurts building a report with the shop you are going to have do your work. If you are in my neck of the woods, the Northern Virginia Mustang Club is having a Dyno Day at Excessive Motorsports in Manassas on 03/25. $50 for two pulls W/AFR. Your Pony look great BTW.
Old 9/7/06, 03:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to PING you guys again on this. I spoke with another body shop today and they came back with a price of $2100 for the stripes. That includes removing the bumpers and 2-3 coats of clear on the top of the car. Thoughts?
Old 9/7/06, 05:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Fryguy
Just wanted to PING you guys again on this. I spoke with another body shop today and they came back with a price of $2100 for the stripes. That includes removing the bumpers and 2-3 coats of clear on the top of the car. Thoughts?
Hey Jeff, it sounds like the shops are bringing their prices down a little. May be because they have been doing them more, and have the process down pat. $2,100 is a good price for this.
Old 9/7/06, 07:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That is what I am thinking as well.

Now, how do I convice the wife of this.... hmm...
Old 9/7/06, 08:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dealer charging me $1,500 to do my vert, no pulling bumpers though. With the CS they dont have to. Also a three step process with a day in between to dry, prep and paint each coat. My guess is a base coat, top coat and clear coat. I am going with Fords Cashmere, which is a pearl finish. At first they were going to add another $1,500 to paint the bumpers, having to pull them and put them back on.
Old 9/8/06, 06:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Dougxox
Dealer charging me $1,500 to do my vert, no pulling bumpers though. With the CS they dont have to. Also a three step process with a day in between to dry, prep and paint each coat. My guess is a base coat, top coat and clear coat. I am going with Fords Cashmere, which is a pearl finish. At first they were going to add another $1,500 to paint the bumpers, having to pull them and put them back on.
Hey Doug, I would really think about having the stripes painted on, while the bumpers are still attached to the car. If you ask everyone on here, who had their cars done, I am sure that 95% of them all had the painter take the bumpers off. That way, the clear is on the entire part, and not just what is visible. Not taking them off, to me anyway, spells trouble. I'm sure others would agree with me.
Old 9/8/06, 10:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Spoke with the wife this morning and she did not have a problem with me doing this... Woo Hoo!!! Scheduled for the week of 9/18!

Quick Reply: My quote for painted stripes