05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

My quote for painted stripes

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/06, 01:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the neighbor of a friend of mine does good paint work. So, figuring he lived next to my friend, he would natrually give me a good deal. I don't think so though.

His quote to paint 2 12" stripes with a 1.5" gap down the center from front to back, including painting the SSE ducktail and mounting was $2500. From what I've read (even considering painting and mounting the ducktail) this seem pretty high. Thoughts? Anyone now a reasonably priced shop in MI?
Old 2/23/06, 01:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stang9325 @ February 23, 2006, 2:42 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well, the neighbor of a friend of mine does good paint work. So, figuring he lived next to my friend, he would natrually give me a good deal. I don't think so though.

His quote to paint 2 12" stripes with a 1.5" gap down the center from front to back, including painting the SSE ducktail and mounting was $2500. From what I've read (even considering painting and mounting the ducktail) this seem pretty high. Thoughts? Anyone now a reasonably priced shop in MI?
[/b][/quote]

Holy crap that is way overpriced. For reference reasons... a dealer rep. at Galpin quoted me $500 for vynil stripes installed and $1000 for white painted stripes. THen again, that was gonna be in addition to paying $42,000 for a Saleen at the time. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

$2500 is way too high. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img]
Old 2/23/06, 02:20 AM
Bullitt Member

That's what I figured. I was thinking that around $1500 would be an average price to pay for very good work. Is that too much to ask??
Old 2/23/06, 06:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stang9325 @ February 23, 2006, 4:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's what I figured. I was thinking that around $1500 would be an average price to pay for very good work. Is that too much to ask??
[/b][/quote]

I talked to a local paint shop about stripes on my car and they quoted me $2,000 for the job. Ask your neighbor what they are going to do. The body shop that I use was going to prep the car, paint the stripes, and then clear the stripes and top of the car. By clearing the top, the stripes would be smooth with the paint, no bumps.

As they say, you get what you pay for. Take it to Macco, and you will get a $199 paint job.
Old 2/23/06, 06:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just a question, why 12 inch stripes and not 10, seem a little big?
Old 2/23/06, 07:47 AM
V6 Member

I couldn't find anywhere in my area that would come close to $1500 unless they cleared just the stripes (with bump). To do it right they have to remove lots of body panels and wet sanding the clear takes lots of hours. I'm paying $2200 along with getting mirrors and rocker vinyl to the sides, but no change in spoiler.

Joe
Old 2/23/06, 08:14 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't say the price is too high. It depends on what is being done. If he is sanding the entire surface to be painted, painting the stripes, wet sanding the edges, clearcoating the panels, wet sand edges and then clear 2-3 more times, then $2500.00 is worth it. If he is just painting them ontop and clearing the stripes, no, $2500.00 is way too much. The quote for my car was over $3500.00 and that included removing the windshield and rear window to make sure the entire area was cleared properly and not just tucked under the weatherstriping where the clear can crack.
Old 2/23/06, 08:15 AM
Queen Of Nascar

I paid $750 for mine to be sanded, painted and cleared. My painter did an excellent job, but says if he ever does another it will be at least a $1000 job.
Old 2/23/06, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

For my car to get stripes clearcoated, no bumps....cannot feel the stripes, my quote is $2,300.00 here in Minneapolis. Id say thats not too far off if they are clearing all the panels, and making it where you cant feel the difference from where the stripes are.
Old 2/23/06, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

The work to be done would include prepping the area to get striped, and clearing all panels that were painted (i.e. hood, front/rear bumpers, deck lid, and roof). He wasn't planning on removing the glass like adrenalin, but would be removing the front and rear bumpers. And as mentioned, painting and installing the SSE ducktail.

ps I know a lot of people just use the 3M tape with their spoilers, but he recommended bolting it down.
Old 2/23/06, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm getting the same quote range $2000 - $2500, here in N Florida.....
Old 2/23/06, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I just went to a shop that I had a car repaired at years ago and got a quote for $1762. This is for the exact same work as the other place (except they are going to take off the hood too).

Apparently they have a guy that lives in FL that comes up here for 2-3 months out of the year and does restoration work for them. They said that he is VERY maticulus (sp?) and does great work.

Maverick mentioned that he thought the 12" stripes would be too big....should I go 10.5 w/ 1.5" gap.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
Old 2/23/06, 01:28 PM
GT Member

I did 10 1/2" stripes with a 2" gap. Check my gallery from the link in my signature
Old 2/23/06, 01:32 PM
Queen Of Nascar

My stripes are 12" 2" gap if you want to look at my pics for comparison.
Old 2/23/06, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Donna @ February 23, 2006, 3:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My stripes are 12" 2" gap if you want to look at my pics for comparison.
[/b][/quote]

As far as price go's $2500 is not too bad. keep in mind, It's according to the quality of what kind of paint they use. You can get it done cheeper, but remember the old saying! You get what you payed for. If the guy use's the higher quality paint. then it will be a better job. Some shops will use a cheeper quality paint. and it will look good for a while, But it won't last. Also ask the guy if he is going to do a final color sand and buffing of the car to get the mirror like shine. My car will be finished next week and and we can put a yard stick up against any where on the car and read 36 inches in the refection of the car. But, to get that kind of a finish. It's takes a lot of hard work and patience.
Old 2/23/06, 03:13 PM
GT Member

Had mine done for 950. With ducktail and louvers painted and installed too.
Old 2/23/06, 03:55 PM
Queen Of Nascar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flamin ponyexpress @ February 23, 2006, 5:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
As far as price go's $2500 is not too bad. keep in mind, It's according to the quality of what kind of paint they use. You can get it done cheeper, but remember the old saying! You get what you payed for. If the guy use's the higher quality paint. then it will be a better job. Some shops will use a cheeper quality paint. and it will look good for a while, But it won't last. Also ask the guy if he is going to do a final color sand and buffing of the car to get the mirror like shine. My car will be finished next week and and we can put a yard stick up against any where on the car and read 36 inches in the refection of the car. But, to get that kind of a finish. It's takes a lot of hard work and patience.
[/b][/quote]

This is why my painter said he would never do another for the same price I paid. My painter used PPG paint which in his opinion was the best. You can not feel my stripes at all. I think I got a job much better than I actually paid for. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/23/06, 04:02 PM
GT Member

IMO when it comes to body and paint work you get what you pay for.
Old 2/23/06, 04:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nagman @ February 23, 2006, 6:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
IMO when it comes to body and paint work you get what you pay for.
[/b][/quote]

Nagman what you said above is so true.

The estimate of $2,500 isn't so far out there. It all depends on how he is going to stripe the car. The stripes I had done on my car are worth $2,000. Now I'll be honest, I didn't pay anywhere near that. The owner of the shop, he is the guy we use here at the dealership for all work, and the service manager brokered the deal for me. For the price that the painter told me that the job is worth, he took off both bumpers, hood, and trunk lid. Measured, taped, painted, sanded, and cleared the stripes down. Smooth to the touch. Then when it came time to put on the SSE ducktail, he primed and painted it to match. Then test fit, and laid the stripe pattern down to match, and then painted the stripes on the spoiler, and them mounted it. Plus, he also put on my bottom GT heritage stripes on the side. The job his guys did was AMAZING!!! Better than wildest dreams. They read my mind, in how I wanted it to look like. I got way more than I paid for. I'd say go for it, especially if he will take extra care, and do everything that us on this topic have listed. Believe me, it changes the entire look of the car, and everyone will be checking out your ride. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 12:28 AM
Bullitt Member

He told me that I wouldn't be able to feel the stripe at all. My qoute includes wet sanding, etc. and clearing all panels that are to be painted. I think the $1762 deal is a good one. I think I will call him tomorrow and schedule it to be done. I don't think I can go wrong with this. I will start a new thread when it is done with pictures.

Quick Reply: My quote for painted stripes