05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

More Powerful Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/08, 11:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More Powerful Headlights

I added the smoked headlight covers from American Muscle. Nice pieces went on well look awesome (I'll add pics soon). But, I'm definitely giving up more visibility than I feel good about due smoked surface.

Is there a new bulb or other option which will increase my visibility over the stock???

I'm sure this is already posted, but after 15 minutes of searching, I'm just going to ask.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by eric n; 9/17/08 at 01:23 PM.
Old 9/17/08, 03:35 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silverstars or HID conversion.
Old 9/17/08, 05:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Ditto.
Old 9/17/08, 10:04 PM
Cobra Member

I have the VVME bixenon HID kit and you can't beat it for the price. The only complaint I have is I wish it had the slim ballasts.
Old 9/18/08, 01:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Deric
I have the VVME bixenon HID kit and you can't beat it for the price. The only complaint I have is I wish it had the slim ballasts.
Can you post some pics???
Old 9/19/08, 01:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Commbubba19
Silverstars or HID conversion.
Don't waste your $$ on Silverstars. They aren't any brighter than stock.

Get HIDs.

Be careful though... in many states having anything covering the headlights is illegal... don't give the po-po an excuse to pull you over and bust you for that and other things... like taillight covers... no front plate... tinted windows... etc.
Old 9/19/08, 06:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Theres a pretty small difference between stock and slightly brighter albeit blue-er silverstars on the headlights, but a big one on the foglights. I've had other mustang owners comment on that. Probably still nothing compared to HID but $50 versus $1000?
Old 9/19/08, 06:49 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
go HID, i've heard some good things about HIR bulbs, but know next to nothing about them. I asked on another forum about the silverstars and heard about every negative thing in the book

also, definately check on the legality of headlight covers. being in california, it more than likely wont be legal, if it's not stock.
Old 9/19/08, 07:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Go with a HID conversion. Here's a deal on a HID conversion kit, with slim ballasts. Plug and play. I just received mine today.

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8021
Old 9/20/08, 01:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well not to sound like a ricer, but I did the hid conversion on my car. I also pointed the headlights down.

I do allot of night time driving so I first bought silverstars. Horrible, the light wasn't any better, just slightly whiter. The fogs on the other hand were much brighter with the silverstars.

So I got a set of bixenon bulbs and harness for my headlights and a set for the fogs. Went with 5000k (white bulbs and looks slightly blue when just turned on, the blue vanishes after a few seconds) on my car. Had em for about 6months. No complaints from other drivers flickering at me for having high beams on, so they are aimed correctly. They light up everything I need to have lit. And the fogs stay off now. Don't need them anymore. The only time ive turned on my fogs was when I was driving in complete pitch dark in the country side and that was a moonless night. No other cars on the road. They come in handy for that. Another fear I had was that xenon bulbs take a while to warm up so I thought maybe I would loose my flash the lights ability. They actually flash just fine even cold. The next test is extreme cold, they passed the hot and humid phase of the test with flying colors.

The only issue I had was the relay got stuck on my headlights one evening so I opened the hood and flicked it and it turned on. A quick trip to autozone and I picked up another relay for 3bux and the headlights work withought issues every time. They do not heat the bulb housing as much as the halogens did either.

The whole setup for both headlights and fogs ran me 200bux. I have also installed a re branded vvme kit for a friend of mine, hes been using them trouble free for longer than I have mine. So they must be decent quality.
Old 9/20/08, 09:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
Well not to sound like a ricer, but I did the hid conversion on my car. I also pointed the headlights down.

I do allot of night time driving so I first bought silverstars. Horrible, the light wasn't any better, just slightly whiter. The fogs on the other hand were much brighter with the silverstars.

So I got a set of bixenon bulbs and harness for my headlights and a set for the fogs. Went with 5000k (white bulbs and looks slightly blue when just turned on, the blue vanishes after a few seconds) on my car. Had em for about 6months. No complaints from other drivers flickering at me for having high beams on, so they are aimed correctly. They light up everything I need to have lit. And the fogs stay off now. Don't need them anymore. The only time ive turned on my fogs was when I was driving in complete pitch dark in the country side and that was a moonless night. No other cars on the road. They come in handy for that. Another fear I had was that xenon bulbs take a while to warm up so I thought maybe I would loose my flash the lights ability. They actually flash just fine even cold. The next test is extreme cold, they passed the hot and humid phase of the test with flying colors.

The only issue I had was the relay got stuck on my headlights one evening so I opened the hood and flicked it and it turned on. A quick trip to autozone and I picked up another relay for 3bux and the headlights work withought issues every time. They do not heat the bulb housing as much as the halogens did either.

The whole setup for both headlights and fogs ran me 200bux. I have also installed a re branded vvme kit for a friend of mine, hes been using them trouble free for longer than I have mine. So they must be decent quality.
**** thats impressive and I'm glad the price on these kits has come way down. This is kinda tempting..