05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Mirror delete panels

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/06, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On drag strips they require you to have door handels, so they can open the door if your knockedo ut.....most drag cars have lexan windows, and they dont break.

and yea im gonna make a set fo these delete panels for any1 who wants a set, as soon as someone tlels me they want a set....lol
Old 3/5/06, 03:15 PM
FR500 Member

Roger, I got bored and took my mirrors off at the shop last week, brought them home this weekend and started making my own panels. As you might know, my car has been in the shop for about 3 months now. So, with the extra time, I thought I'd give this a shot myself. Plus, like I was telling you... the budget is a little tight right now so can't pay someone else to do it.

What I did was use a dremel with a cut-off wheel and then a small hacksaw to cut the mirrors (what stuck out) away from the panel. I was then left with a flat panel with a hole cut in it from the old mirror/arm. I got some thin plexiglass and cut it to fit the triangular panels and then epoxied them on. I then took multiple grits of sandpaper and sanded the edges of the plexi down and rounded them so that they were molded flush to the panel. I started with 60, then 150, 220 and finished it with some 600 grit waterproof sandpaper and water. I spent about 4-5 hours on each panel doing this until it was completely flush. This is definitely not the most efficient way to make a mirror-delete panel. After it was sanded down really good, you could see the line between the plexi and the plastic, but you couldn't feel it. I then just painted them with a few coats of gloss black spray paint and you cannot see a line at all. It looks like one piece. I thought about painting them the body color.... but I want them to disappear and almost look like a piece of tinted glass from far away, since glass was actually in that triangular area on the older stangs. With my tinted windows, it should blend in nicely.

I got some reproduction chrome mirrors that would have come on a '67 Shelby. I thought about the "Rotunda" bullet-style mirrors, but those came on the '65 & '66 Shelbys, and I am doing a '67 tribute. Plus, those mirrors are about a hundred bucks a piece. The '67 repro's were only about $80 for the pair.

Here is a pic of the mirrors I got from mustangsunlimited.com. I'll post a pic of one of the mirror-delete panels after the paint dries. All I have to do now is figure out a way to mount the panels onto the car. I may epoxy some bolts on the back so that I can use the factory nuts to hold them on from the inside. I'll figure it out once I get my car back from the shop.
Old 3/5/06, 04:40 PM
FR500 Member

Here are a couple pics of the finished panel after a few coats of black. I sprayed the paint in a way to make it have a bit of texture, since the orinal plastic was textured. This should blend in good with the black textured door trim.

I also attached a pic of the corner up close. You can't even see the line where the plexi meets the stock plastic material. In the pics, you may see a "line" there, but it's a shadow line from the radius edge. In person, it's completely smooth. Also, the texture looks off because of the glare... but that looks good in person too and is very consistent. I think they turned out great... only problem is I have over 12 hours of work in them. This isn't the way I'd recommend doing them.

Now I just need to get my car back from the shop so I can mount these and the new mirrors.
Old 3/5/06, 05:14 PM
GT Member

wow that looks really good - i hope it turns out well and make sure you post pictures when you have the on the car.
Old 3/5/06, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

cool man....looks good. just now you dont have the actual mirros to sel land make some $$ off of....lol thats why i was gonna make them from scratch....so the delete could be reversable...lol
Old 3/5/06, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Im liking the idea, I do tend to use my mirrors which im slowly realzing, Ive had them titled sso that I cant and I do findmyself looking at them. Those pieces look good. If possible can you mount one beforeinstalling the mirrors on them
Old 3/6/06, 03:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

if you do end up making these plates out of metal i would like a pair unpianted please sir, i plan on attatching a set of motorcycle mirrors to the plates before i paint them and put them on the car [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/6/06, 07:35 AM
FR500 Member

Thanks for the compliments. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cruisin @ March 5, 2006, 9:26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If possible can you mount one beforeinstalling the mirrors on them
[/b][/quote]

I will try and take a pic of just the panel mounted before I attach the mirror. But I'm going to the shop today to mount everything. I'll try and bring a digital camera though. Oh... and from your post it sounds like you think I'm going to mount the mirrors on the mirror-delete panels. I am actually mounting the mirrors on the top of the doors like they were back in the day. Of course this means I need to drill two holes in each door... but it will be worth it in the end to have the smaller chrome mirrors that I want. And it will give my car even more of the '67 Shelby look I'm going for.
Old 3/8/06, 07:29 AM
FR500 Member

I went to the shop yesterday and put my mirror-delete panels on the car and attached the '67 chrome mirrors on the tops of the doors. I think it looks really good. It's a pretty drastic change though. These mirrors are a good bit smaller than the stock ones. I personally think it looks really sleek. I am definitely looking forward to people's opinions on this once I get pics up. I forgot to bring my digital camera from home... thinking I could use the one here at work... but someone had taken it to a site visit. So I apologize for not having pics. I should be getting back the car Thursday and may be able to take a pic then if it's still light outside by the time I get home. If not, no later than Friday.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hippiehead025 @ March 5, 2006, 9:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
cool man....looks good. just now you dont have the actual mirros to sel land make some $$ off of....lol thats why i was gonna make them from scratch....so the delete could be reversable...lol
[/b][/quote]

That's a good point, but one of my mirrors had taken a hit from a rock and had a decent ding in it. Plus, they are over a year old and had some minor scratches... both to the plastic housings and the mirrors themselves. I don't see how I could have gotten more than a hundred bucks for the pair on eBay. I would have spent that in getting some custom panels made. So I decided to just try and make them this way. Roger, as soon as you start making the panels, the fact that people can buy them from you and then sell their old mirrors to make some money back is pretty sweet. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

And as far as reversing the delete... I just drilled two holes in the top of each door... lol. There's no turning back now. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]
Old 3/9/06, 07:21 AM

I'm glad I found this thread I was thinking about doing this with the R code Shelby mirrors.

Hippiehead025 - I would gladly pay you for a set of delete panels if you decide to make them.
Old 3/10/06, 07:53 AM
FR500 Member

I still don't have my car back yet, but I took a quick pic at the Ford dealership yesterday evening (it's in there to get the airbag fixed). Now, it was dark and just starting to rain, so the pic isn't that great. But, you can see the side mirrors and mirror-delete panels on the car. The mirrors are a good bit smaller than stock... but IMO that's definitely a good thing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

You can pretty much compare the stock Mustang mirrors (about the same size as the F-350 next to my car [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] ) and the '67 mirrors.
Old 3/10/06, 08:20 AM

That looks great, now I gotta get off my butt and do mine.
Old 3/11/06, 05:38 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ponypowerracin @ March 9, 2006, 8:24 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm glad I found this thread I was thinking about doing this with the R code Shelby mirrors.

Hippiehead025 - I would gladly pay you for a set of delete panels if you decide to make them.
[/b][/quote]
R code Shelby mirrors? Didn't know they had different mirrors than stock. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] Any pics?
Old 3/12/06, 04:49 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ March 11, 2006, 7:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
R code Shelby mirrors? Didn't know they had different mirrors than stock. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] Any pics?
[/b][/quote]

Also known as Raydots and found on 64-67 Cobras also. Although, after seeing the 67 Shelby mirrors I am seriously considering them.

Old 3/13/06, 08:48 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Interesting. I had never seen those before. All I had ever seen where the bullit style. (which is what I thought were the Rotundas [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img])

I would definitely go with the 67's or the cone shaped bullit style I just mentioned.