05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Lug Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/08, 11:56 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lug Nuts

I have some new Shelby forged gt40 wheels on the way and i am looking to get some new locking lug nuts. I came across this and was wondering if they would work. Also, any recommendations are welcome. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 10/8/08, 12:07 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
IMO I'd go with a conventional wheel lock and a good set of lugs. McGard makes some really good locks (and Gorilla does make some good lug nuts), that design in particular doesn't hold up well to the typical neanderthal armed with a 1/2" impact over the long term very well, if you decide to go with it, inquire wether they use a torque limiting device, have a torque limited impact, or a standard impact. In every case, I'd reccomend that you insist that all the lugs be removed by hand (since even in the case of a torque limited impact in counter clockwise rotation the gun's full power can be applied while in clockwise rotation it isn't) and only installed with a torque limited impact or torque limiting device. If the shop has only a conventional impact and no torque limiting device insist on having them reinstalled by hand too.

The wheel lock "key" will distort and wear out under repeated use with an impact (since it essentially bangs against the nut) possibly leaving you stranded in the event you have to change the wheel out yourself.
Old 10/8/08, 12:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Try those: http://www.steeda.com/products/chrom...g_lug_nuts.php
Old 10/8/08, 12:13 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Not big on those for the same reason.

Hey, StangRalle if in the next couple months you see a yellow 2001 vert Corvette (oddly enough with black vinyl stripes running down the hood that say Corvette and is fitted with chromed Z06 style wheels shod with BFG Supersport A/S tires) ask the owner how the ride is? My shop just put some tires on a vette being shipped out to your neck of the woods tomorrow IIRC and I'm always interested in feedback.
Old 10/8/08, 12:14 AM
V6 Member

well....i will most likely being installing this by hand. still an issue?

i don't think im going to go with the steeda ones because i think it may look weird.
Old 10/8/08, 12:17 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Not a problem if you install them by hand and make sure anybody else does the same (a few times with an impact wont hurt anything, used responsibly). Always remember to torque the lugs as well rather than cinching them down as tight as you can. A good torque wrench can be had for a reasonable price.
Old 10/8/08, 04:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Not big on those for the same reason.

Hey, StangRalle if in the next couple months you see a yellow 2001 vert Corvette (oddly enough with black vinyl stripes running down the hood that say Corvette and is fitted with chromed Z06 style wheels shod with BFG Supersport A/S tires) ask the owner how the ride is? My shop just put some tires on a vette being shipped out to your neck of the woods tomorrow IIRC and I'm always interested in feedback.
Hey Bob, its a small world. Where in Switzerland did you send it to?
Old 10/8/08, 04:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Not a problem if you install them by hand and make sure anybody else does the same (a few times with an impact wont hurt anything, used responsibly). Always remember to torque the lugs as well rather than cinching them down as tight as you can. A good torque wrench can be had for a reasonable price.
Which reminds me: I still need to buy one.
Old 10/8/08, 08:01 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by StangRalle
Hey Bob, its a small world. Where in Switzerland did you send it to?
I'll have to ask next time I see my customer, he just said Switzerland. I was pressed for time and couldn't delve deeper at the time when he told me.
Old 10/9/08, 01:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
I'll have to ask next time I see my customer, he just said Switzerland. I was pressed for time and couldn't delve deeper at the time when he told me.
Understood. Even if Switzerland is small (size of LA), there are still 8 million inhabitants.
Old 10/11/08, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JMoraru
I have some new Shelby forged gt40 wheels on the way and i am looking to get some new locking lug nuts. I came across this and was wondering if they would work. Also, any recommendations are welcome. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
From what I've been told, not sure if it is true, thieves simply jam a 12 point socket onto the locking nut, wack it on with a hammer, and then back it off anyway if they want your rims bad enough. Of course with all locking nuts it would take them some time and that might be the deterrent.