05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/08, 06:41 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gremlin190
BAh, The beauty of the internet, can't show emotion.

I was not, nor am I upset. I also, wasn't trying to make it so you would have to defend the quality of your 3m products. I feel that my message was taken a little to close to heart. Not a bad thing, you're just showing pride in your product.. I didn't want to bother you directly if the guys here could answer.

Now that I hope we are both straight, what would be the best practice to remove them if they don't push out?
No sweat - I wasn't really trying to "defend" the 3M stuff so much as just let everyone (yourself included) know that they actually do have a shelf life, and we take steps to insure that of all the problems that you could run into, this hopefully shouldn't be one of them.

As to "bothering" us directly... let me say if it weren't for customers just like you, I'd have to still be working at my old job, not doing what I love - so if you or anyone has a problem, it's never a bother - it is always taken to heart, and we always want to be able to help if possible. I was just saying that we have been so busy lately that instead of coming by and checking the forums daily, I've only been by once every few days. Add to it that the instant notifications have not been working too great lately and we're getting ready to move yet again, and you can see how I would come spot this post and be worried that we were not involved until it was possibly to late to help.

So no bad blood anywhere, just trying to help from a keyboard in a galaxy far, far away...

On the removal - that's the tricky part. If they don't just start to push out, it's either razor blade, professional cutting blade-type window removal tool, or wire them out like the glass, which is not a good option because you will tear them and the paint up in the process. If though they do start to push, from even one corner, then you can get a small blade in from the inside and get cutting on the urethane. If they don't push, then the blade-type tool is the best bet, although you will have to be careful with it, as you're trying to now avoid two painted surfaces instead of just one.

I think though that almost everyone who has had to do a removal due to a leak at time of install or release of the urethane (failure to bond) was able to just push out the louver(s) in question, then re-install them correctly without issue. Remember that the louver is very resilient, and quite tough, so it can take some pressure. That said, be careful they aren't flexed too much, as the louver might survive the ordeal, but paint doesn't tend to want to bend so much...

Hope that helps.
Old 3/16/08, 07:50 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished my install on these...and I love them...here are some pics....enjoy.

Old 3/17/08, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Well,

I gave Marcello a call. What an awesome guy to deal with. He went above and beyond my imagination with support. It's very rare that you can find this kind of support from any business. I do A LOT of shopping on the internet, and I can tell you, I've never received such wonderful support. In fact, there is only one other person who I deal with that gives me such wonderful support, and we pay him over 10,000 dollars a year. It's really amazing that in a business that he is in, he can spend the amount of time and have the patience and enthusiasm he does answering questions. I'm going to have to buy more stuff from him just so I can make it up to him for all the time he spent with me on the phone this morning.

P.S. I just received tracking confirmation. Thanks for everything!

Last edited by gremlin190; 3/17/08 at 02:32 PM. Reason: punctation
Old 3/17/08, 05:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
once again, cant go wrong with SHR louvers....

i dont think they could have manufactured a better piece. well done boys. well done.
Old 3/17/08, 06:25 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks

Just treating people like we'd like to be treated ourselves, nothing more, nothing less... now if we could just get orders out as quickly as we used to we'd really be on top of things.

BugStang - we need some high res versions of shots of your car without anything in the background, or some real cool background, whatever works for you - I'm thinking print ads with it!
Old 3/17/08, 09:47 PM
V6 Member

I should get some great shots at Maryland International Raceway onthe 29th...big ford event out there..
Old 3/24/08, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Finally giot them installed

Well,
I finally got them installed correctly! After talking with Marcello and getting a better understanding of the requirements for the job, I was able to get them reinstalled without any leaks. Man they look great! I didn't put any promoter on the louvers themselves(thank God) originally. On removal, I saw where I didn't put enough urethane in places due to me starting a bead and then stopping it and then starting it again. They pop right out without a problem. Cleaned everything up and then put them back on. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dsc03209.jpg   Louver replacement for quarter window glass-dsc03212.jpg  
Old 3/24/08, 03:44 PM
GT Member

Did the install on Saturday. My only problem was trying to get a decent bead out of the tube without tearing ligaments in my hand... My neighbor had a MUCH better caulking gun (which is an absolute must).

I have not leak tested yet, but its a moot point since my car does not and will not ever see rain...
Old 3/24/08, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well u wash you car dont ya penguin?
Old 3/25/08, 06:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Redfireshaker06
Well u wash you car dont ya penguin?

Awwwwww crap!

You're absolutely right.

*heads to the garage to take the interior BACK out to leak test*
Old 3/25/08, 04:30 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by PenguinGT
Awwwwww crap!

You're absolutely right.

*heads to the garage to take the interior BACK out to leak test*
I just blew around mine with an air nozzle
Old 3/25/08, 06:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have had mine on for a month. I havent check for leaks yet . My car is a garage queen. I will check this week(car is not dirty)
Old 3/28/08, 09:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Here you go guys, I finally got my louvers on.

Step One: Make sure you put on double tape around the window.

Step Two: Make sure to clean out the old polyurithane, leave a little film so the new one can stick properly.

Step Three: After placing the louver on, hold it with masking tape for 12 hours.
NOTE: The polyurithane is hard to use with a normal caulking gun. I use an electric one with lots of torque.

Step Four: This is what it looks like after removing the tape, nice & solid.

The fit is very nice, even with the rest of the car.

I caulked the interior as well making sure it has no leaks, I tested it with a leafblower(120 mph). No air leaks. It will take a grenade to remove those louvers. lol.

Overall, the workmanship of the louver is awesome.
Thank you Marcello.
Old 3/28/08, 02:36 PM
Legacy Tms Member

No thank you

Glad you like them, and glad we could get them out to you quickly.
Old 5/12/08, 09:55 PM
V6 Member

Old 5/13/08, 08:21 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Sweet! Definitely need the high-res of that shot!

Fires in our area (yeah, we're the town in the news in FL) so I can't hang much today, running on generators at home, business is in and out due to FPL shutdowns for firefighters (understandable)...
Old 5/13/08, 09:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Let us know if yon need anything Marcello!
Old 5/13/08, 09:18 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks!

1) Rain
2) Rain
3) A scope so I can accurately target the arsonists that started this if I spot them... too bad the punishment isn't allowed to match the crime in our society... looks like 70+ homes now in the local area. Luckily 25 more fire crews from other cities showed up this morning to help take the load off our local guys - they are great with brush trucks and all, but they must be getting tired now.
Old 5/13/08, 06:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would love to send you what we have, nothing but rain. Starting to wonder about the yellow thing that was is the sky. LOL
Old 5/13/08, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

How is the visibility out of the louver from inside the car? Is the clear section tinted? Can you see inside the car looking in the louver from outside the car?

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass