05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Introducing Another Gt500 Clone...sort Of

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/07, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripes

Yup, just ordered from Baltimore for the front stripes.

Originally Posted by RobK
You are going to run the stripes down the bumper right?
Old 4/20/07, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cowtown
I had to wait a bit to reply after seeing my second one of these in a day. Again, I think that looks hot, the wheels, colours etc are great. BUT WHY O WHY must you guys who have done this mod (GT or V6) put the GT500 on the rocker? WHY WHY>????

Nice job though.
Bam. Hammer, meet head of nail. That's my gripe with these cars as well. Do the body mods, the hood, the spoiler, the front end, the wheels, whatever you want, just PLEASE don't put GT500 on the side or the Cobra badges for that matter unless you've actually got the power to back it up!
Old 4/20/07, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hammer?

HorsePower coming soon. And the sticker will be GT400 when a supercharger will be installed to back it up.

Originally Posted by titanjc
Bam. Hammer, meet head of nail. That's my gripe with these cars as well. Do the body mods, the hood, the spoiler, the front end, the wheels, whatever you want, just PLEASE don't put GT500 on the side or the Cobra badges for that matter unless you've actually got the power to back it up!
Old 4/20/07, 08:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shelby himself said the 350 and 500 numbers didn't really imply anything only that it sounded cool. Bottom line is this is a forum and people are entitled to their opinions This is the one thing that people always ask is why did you clone the emblems? Well put simply it is a clone...something that looks like something else. I'm not trying to attack you guys but we have seen several clones of the why/whynot posts (including mine ) So why oh why must you guys who read these posts complain? Because you can and to answer the question below - because people can put whatever they want on their car too. I was building an Eleanor clone but I wasn't planning on jumping it and picking it up with a crane just to make it 100% accurate. Some are pro-clone others are not.
*Steps down from soapbox and stops dramatic music in background*

I had to wait a bit to reply after seeing my second one of these in a day. Again, I think that looks hot, the wheels, colours etc are great. BUT WHY O WHY must you guys who have done this mod (GT or V6) put the GT500 on the rocker? WHY WHY>????

Nice job though.

Originally Posted by titanjc
Old 4/20/07, 08:20 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the horse is dead, but folks are welcome to keep beating it.

As you can see from this pole, and the susequent discussion, folks are evenly split on this subject.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=58003

Request you all just beat the dead horse in a civil manner.

As I mentioned in the link above, I thought this was a nice option for those going for a certain theme, yet didn't want to deal with the wrath incurred from certain groups/members of the mustang community.
Attached Images  
Old 4/22/07, 07:35 AM
GTR Member

It would look just as awesome w/ pony badges and same color rocker striping w/different wording
Old 4/22/07, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
It would look just as awesome w/ pony badges and same color rocker striping w/different wording
absolutely, the idea that the cobra symbol is what makes the cobra's look great is rather far-fetched. I see cobra badges tacked onto stock v6s all the time, doesn't mean they look great. And I also see cobras without the snakes on them all the time, and those still look awesome. When I put 03 Cobra wheels on my 99 V6, I made sure to put a "V6" sticker on the rear deck just so nobody thought I was pretending to be something I wasn't.
Old 4/22/07, 12:08 PM
GTR Member

I remember in the late 80's,the fad was to put "TURBO" badges on cars
Old 4/22/07, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I remember in the late 80's,the fad was to put "TURBO" badges on cars
hehe, all of this talk reminds me of this: (see incorrect badging)

http://www.ricecop.com/images/riceticket2.jpg

now having said that, the OP's car looks awesome, and would look even BETTER with shaved emblems or a tasteful pony. Cobra engines are hand-built and signed on the valve covers by the two engineers who assembled them, they are individually numbered and a certificate of authenticity is granted. Even if you swapped out every single component of your car, engine, tranny, etc from a GT500, it still would not be a cobra, so the badges shouldn't be on there, simple as that.
Old 4/22/07, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Another anti-project

As long as I'm the one spending $money on the car, there is no reason to be bothered. This is a free country anyway.

Originally Posted by jedikd
hehe, all of this talk reminds me of this: (see incorrect badging)

http://www.ricecop.com/images/riceticket2.jpg

now having said that, the OP's car looks awesome, and would look even BETTER with shaved emblems or a tasteful pony. Cobra engines are hand-built and signed on the valve covers by the two engineers who assembled them, they are individually numbered and a certificate of authenticity is granted. Even if you swapped out every single component of your car, engine, tranny, etc from a GT500, it still would not be a cobra, so the badges shouldn't be on there, simple as that.
Old 4/22/07, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by project_v6
As long as I'm the one spending $money on the car, there is no reason to be bothered. This is a free country anyway.
When I hear dude's in stock WRX's talking about beating 500hp Shelby's (which are actually rebadged v6's), it does bother me as a mustang fan...

"free county"??? what does that have to do with any of this? we're arguing automotive taste, not habeas corpus or search & seizure...
Old 4/22/07, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Free Country

Sorry if I have offended you on the free country term.

But how's 400rwhp sound to you? That's going to be my next project on this V6. Either a paxton or X-charger at 8psi to 11psi. I'm just deciding which one is more durable and easier to maintain since ultimately it will be a daily driver.

When I hear dude's in stock WRX's talking about beating 500hp Shelby's (which are actually rebadged v6's), it does bother me as a mustang fan...

"free county"??? what does that have to do with any of this? we're arguing automotive taste, not habeas corpus or search & seizure...
Old 4/22/07, 04:20 PM
GTR Member

Albert,you're right.It's your money and you can do whatever you want. But when you are on Mustang boards,people are going to give you an honest opinion..Do you want everyone to lie to you and tell you everything you are doing looks excellent even if they don't think so? obviously you care about other peoples opinions or else you wouldn't be on the boards showing it off in the first place. Right? Some things I thought about doing w/ my car ,I changed my mind on because discussing them with the folks on here can sometimes help you see things from a different perspective. I don't think people are trying to flame you,just being honest..o.k. i'll shut up now.
Old 4/22/07, 04:25 PM
Cobra R Member

I won't bash you looks great. very clean assembly and paint match, but don't try to sell it for what it isn't, like telling people its a gt500.
Old 4/22/07, 05:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Boltzman

Boltzman, thank you for your opinion. And you are right, it may not be acceptable to others but as long as Im not fooling anyone by selling or admitting it as GT500, I think everything will turn out ok.

Albert,you're right.It's your money and you can do whatever you want. But when you are on Mustang boards,people are going to give you an honest opinion..Do you want everyone to lie to you and tell you everything you are doing looks excellent even if they don't think so? obviously you care about other peoples opinions or else you wouldn't be on the boards showing it off in the first place. Right? Some things I thought about doing w/ my car ,I changed my mind on because discussing them with the folks on here can sometimes help you see things from a different perspective. I don't think people are trying to flame you,just being honest..o.k. i'll shut up now.
Old 4/22/07, 05:31 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by project_v6
Boltzman, thank you for your opinion. And you are right, it may not be acceptable to others but as long as Im not fooling anyone by selling or admitting it as GT500, I think everything will turn out ok.
Take solice, you are not alone. According to the pole, 35.11% of TMS members agree with you
Old 4/22/07, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks great, love that Grabber Orange color. Personally I wouldn't have put any Cobra/Shelby/GT500 badges or emblems on it. To each their own I guess, I mean you have to be happy with the way you personalize your car. Again that Grabber Orange is just eye catching.

Good luck with acheiving 400 rwhp on a v6, from what I read, you're going to need more than just a supercharger to make that happen.
Old 4/23/07, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

But how's 400rwhp sound to you? That's going to be my next project on this V6. Either a paxton or X-charger at 8psi to 11psi. I'm just deciding which one is more durable and easier to maintain since ultimately it will be a daily driver.
Sounds dandy, still doesn't make it a GT500.
Old 4/23/07, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds dandy, still doesn't make it a GT500.
absolutely, you'll have a awesome and unique car, why stick cobra badges/gt500 stickers on it? If you've got (and IF, a planned mods list is easy to do, building a 400rwhp v6 is another) that much power in a six, put v6 stickers on it! I had them on mine, if I lost to someone, they didn't think they beat a V8, and if they lost to me, they knew they lost to a base mustang!
Old 4/23/07, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow!

Wow man, you're now dictating what to do with my own car?

I dont care about you hating the badges. READ: You are not paying any cent to it. ARE YOU? The wheels and tires and the front conversion alone cost me $$ and I dont mind spending more for a supercharger or turbo. READ MAGAZINES and articles first above 400rwhp v6. IT CAN BE DONE.

Can't care less if you hate the badges, can't care more if you hate clone projects or tributes. I can entertain suggestions but not ORDERS from you.

absolutely, you'll have a awesome and unique car, why stick cobra badges/gt500 stickers on it? If you've got (and IF, a planned mods list is easy to do, building a 400rwhp v6 is another) that much power in a six, put v6 stickers on it! I had them on mine, if I lost to someone, they didn't think they beat a V8, and if they lost to me, they knew they lost to a base mustang!

Quick Reply: Introducing Another Gt500 Clone...sort Of