05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

I Need Help With LED Tail Lamp Bulb Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/11, 12:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I Need Help With LED Tail Lamp Bulb Problems

Hey fellas! Recently I purchased dual circuit red LED taillamp bulbs and I am having problems getting them to operate properly.

I had properly installed resistors to adjust the flash rate with success OK. The problem I was having was getting the running lamps to come on when the running lamps were turned on. Also, when I activated a turn signal, current would jump from the flashing taillamps to the bulb in the innermost section of the opposite taillamp and make it flash. I solved that problem by cutting the dim+ wire of the innermost taillamp bulb which is wired on a seperate run than the center and outer bulb. I rerouted the innermost bulbs to the same running lamp wires as the center and outermost bulbs. So that problem was solved. Taillamps only flashed on one side as the should and running lights were now functional.

I am running a wired in taillamp sequencer that works fine with regular bulbs. It flashes sequentially perfectly when the headlamps are on, but when the headlamps are off it flashes the innermost section bright while causing the LED bulbs in the center and outer sections to light up dimly like running lamps, then as the dequencer sequences the center and outer section brighten up at virtually the same time not giving off the effect of a defined sequencing action as it should.

My first thought was that the first set of bulbs I purchased did not have proper diodes to keep current from backfeeding from the flashing circuits to the running lamp circuits. I bought a second set of bulbs from a different vendor. Same thing happened as well. I finally got fed up with the taillamp sequencing not operating properly with the headlamps off so I disabled the sequencer modules thinking maybe I could live with just non-sequencing taillamps operating properly. I was fine with that until I pulled up to a store window and noticed that whenever I step on the brakes my front parking lamps came on. I did change the fronts to switchback LED's.

Fed up with this whole thing and just put the regular incadenscent bulbs back in all around and enabled the sequencers to work again. I just chalked it up to a combination of the SBJ or circuits in the car being to complex or that there I have a problem finding quality LED bulbs.

I am mostly perplexed that I may be doing something wrong since I see so many of you using LED taillamp bulbs and sequencers successfully. Any advice would be great because right now I have a ton of money in 14 LED dual circuit LED bulbs that I cannot use. I really like the look and richer redder color of the LED's when they are working.

Thanks!
Old 12/10/11, 06:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
where did you get all the parts from?