05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

How are Your Trufiber Hoods Holding Up?

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/08, 11:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by purplepony
Hey Mellowyellow06, do you have any pictures from underneath the hood? Just wondering what the hood pins attach to, did you have to fab something up or did all the hardware came with hood?
+1, any pic's?
Old 10/27/08, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ill try and get some taken soon. Its the 1st one done/prototype hood like this and will update with parts as more become available.
Old 10/27/08, 07:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Cervinis hood, made in the USA, and have no problems with cracking or spiderwebs. The body shop said it did take a bit more prep than a factory metal hood, but nothing more than a fiberglass hood for a Vette would take.
The hood is over a year old, and in daily driving the only flutter I have found is when passing an 18 wheeler on the interstate. One other time was at over 125 when it fluttered real bad where I backed it down ( only noticed the flutter after slowing down a bit, keeping my eyes on the road and things around me, and the camero in my rear view mirror).
I plan on getting hood pins for at the track and those pesky 18 wheelers...oh and also for the looks
Old 10/29/08, 07:01 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, we're running a Suncoast hood which is not supposed to require pins at all, but I ended up with four of them ala FR500C setup, as I was at Daytona when the original FR500 test car lost it's stock hood. Not that I was worried about this one going anywhere, but darn it looks cool

Pictures next week when we unveil at SEMA
Old 11/11/08, 11:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
Ill try and get some taken soon. Its the 1st one done/prototype hood like this and will update with parts as more become available.
Bump. Looking for under hood pics of the new Venom hood showing what the twist locks are attached to, and info regarding whether this item is supplied by Trufiber.
Old 11/12/08, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Bump. Looking for under hood pics of the new Venom hood showing what the twist locks are attached to, and info regarding whether this item is supplied by Trufiber.

Here is pics of the hood I picked up this past weekend. I did not do any test fittings on the car since my stock hood has hood shocks I previously installed a few years ago rivited into place. Since I will have to drill those out to install the new hood, I decided to wait untill I actually am doing the mod before drilling them out.

The pics are of a Trufiber Hood gen 3. This one is primered already. I cannot tell you if they all come this way or not (I have NO idea). I just happened to get ahold of what I think is a final prototype (though I cannot say for absolute certain) that had been primered. I cannot find ANY pin holes or anything else for that matter that might suggest any necessary work before painting other than some finish sanding for smoothness. Obviously, I am in no way a body man, so when I do take it to my painter he may show me numerous areas requiring his attention, but I dont see any.

I'll also post a pic of the hood pins the hood was designed to use. They are the old style KR pins. If you look in the pic above, you should see the holes for each side towards the top and far left and right. Not realizing someone wanted a pic up close of these, I didnt take anything really close of them. Next time I'm down there, I will.

Here is a pic of the hood pin hole from the top:

Lemme know if you have any other questions, and I'll do my best to answer.

Andretti
Old 11/12/08, 06:02 PM
Cobra Member

Andretti, thanks for getting these posted! In comparing the underside to the one shown on the Trufiber website, looks to be some subtle differences in several areas. But the real key is "out of the box" fitment and required pre-paint prep. Please keep us posted!

Do you have source for those style hood pins? Other than a set that popped up FS on another forum, not had any luck finding them.

Last edited by Doogie; 11/12/08 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11/12/08, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Doogie
Andretti, thanks for getting these posted! In comparing the underside to the one shown on the Trufiber website, looks to be some subtle differences in several areas. But the real key is "out of the box" fitment and required pre-paint prep. Please keep us posted!

Do you have source for those style hood pins? Other than a set that popped up FS on another forum, not had any luck finding them.

Sure, here is a link where I will be ordering mine tomorrow.

http://www.trophymustang.com/1968-sh...ea64732e52cd70

And yeah, I was always eyeing every post very closely when I saw these hoods too trying to determine how good or bad they were and what it took to make them look right to the purchaser. With that in mind, I'll be happy to mention what will have to go into mine to make it fit the car and look good. I"ll have some test fitting pics here hopefully near the end of the month or early in Dec. I want to have everything on the car by mid Dec so when the painter calls and says he is ready for the car, that all I have to do is go down, uncover it and drive it over. Then he can start taking it apart for himself so when he paints it he will know how to reattach it all.

Andretti
Old 11/12/08, 10:37 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Andretti1
Here is pics of the hood I picked up this past weekend. I did not do any test fittings on the car since my stock hood has hood shocks I previously installed a few years ago rivited into place. Since I will have to drill those out to install the new hood, I decided to wait untill I actually am doing the mod before drilling them out.

The pics are of a Trufiber Hood gen 3. This one is primered already. I cannot tell you if they all come this way or not (I have NO idea). I just happened to get ahold of what I think is a final prototype (though I cannot say for absolute certain) that had been primered. I cannot find ANY pin holes or anything else for that matter that might suggest any necessary work before painting other than some finish sanding for smoothness. Obviously, I am in no way a body man, so when I do take it to my painter he may show me numerous areas requiring his attention, but I dont see any.

I'll also post a pic of the hood pins the hood was designed to use. They are the old style KR pins. If you look in the pic above, you should see the holes for each side towards the top and far left and right. Not realizing someone wanted a pic up close of these, I didnt take anything really close of them. Next time I'm down there, I will.

Here is a pic of the hood pin hole from the top:

Lemme know if you have any other questions, and I'll do my best to answer.

Andretti

Thanks for the pics Andretti.

Did the hood come with any sort of "receiving hardware" for the twist pins? ie How are you going to secure the pins to the rad support ?? Does Trufiber have some sort of kit?

Once the hood is on the car, I'm curious as to know if you can run stipes between the extractor vents that match the width of the factory stripes already on the car, or, if they'd have to be cut to fit around the extractor vents on this 3rd generation hood.
Old 11/13/08, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the pics Andretti.

Did the hood come with any sort of "receiving hardware" for the twist pins? ie How are you going to secure the pins to the rad support ?? Does Trufiber have some sort of kit?

Once the hood is on the car, I'm curious as to know if you can run stipes between the extractor vents that match the width of the factory stripes already on the car, or, if they'd have to be cut to fit around the extractor vents on this 3rd generation hood.

No, no hardware what so ever. Not even the metal part that actually is used to latch the hood to the car when it is down.

The second question is THE question to me atm. I have no idea how they will attach and have never seen a pic showing it (other than stuff people have fabbed). At this point I have no idea if I will need to do the same thing or if something comes with the pins when I purchase them that will clear this up for me and make it very obvious where things go. If it isnt obvious even then, I'll call Phil at Trufiber to get the info.

The stripes arent factory. I added them about two months after purchasing the car. My initial thoughts are to remove the vinyl stripes and to have them repainted on while it is in the shop. My body man though really is suggesting to me NOT to paint the stripes since he'd have to get into the factory paint on the roof and rear deck and rear bumper (he will be painting the hood and the front GT500 bumper already). I understand his points, but I would really prefer to have the stripes repainted on (they are 8" dual stripes and I want to switch it to 10" duals). Once it goes into the shop for the paint I will discuss it again with him and see how much money it will take to do it that way. If I end up staying with the vinyl stripes though, either they will split the little nose piece exactly in the middle or the entire car will be restriped so that it does. It'll look stupid if it doesnt as far as I'm concerned. I would think that vinyl stripes will work on the hood though since even though this isnt a carbon copy of the real hood, shelby puts vinyl on their real King of the Road cars as well as the Super Snake ones. The hood seems to be close enough in my mind to make me believe if it will work for theirs, it'll work for mine, but that remains to be seen.

I'll post any progress I make on the hood pin part when I get the chance.

Andretti

Last edited by Andretti1; 11/13/08 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11/13/08, 09:35 AM
V6 Member

I was sent this picture......

Sorry the picture size is too large to post. Trufiber emailed me a pic of a twist pin receiving unit that looks similar to, but not the same as the KR's version that secures the pins to the rad support. It's on a yellow mustang so I'm assuming it may be a picture of mellowyellow06's car. Mellowyellow 06, any pics? How is the hood holding up?

Last edited by purplepony; 11/13/08 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11/13/08, 10:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Andretti,

Paint 'em on!!!!!!! You will not regret it and like we talked before, your paint will look better where they clear coat over the stripes compared to other parts of the car which will still have the factory clear coat. Now's the time!

Those pics look good. A small part of me regrets selling it, but I'm glad you are giving it a good home. Please keep us updated with your progress and don't forget additional pics.
Old 11/13/08, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
Andretti,

Paint 'em on!!!!!!! You will not regret it and like we talked before, your paint will look better where they clear coat over the stripes compared to other parts of the car which will still have the factory clear coat. Now's the time!

Those pics look good. A small part of me regrets selling it, but I'm glad you are giving it a good home. Please keep us updated with your progress and don't forget additional pics.
I completely agree about the painting the stripes on. I really think that is THE way to go. Now why I have to convince the painter this is the case is beyond me though...

As far as I'm concerned, you selling it to me should get you knighted or something. It really looks to be absolutely perfect from what my non-educated eyes can see and I'd be more than alittle shocked if the painter says otherwise. Once again though, I certainly cant thank you enough for letting me purchase it from you. Well worth the drive and the money, so much thanks to you.

Andretti
Old 11/13/08, 11:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I was sent this picture......

Sorry the picture size is too large to post. Trufiber emailed me a pic of a twist pin receiving unit that looks similar to, but not the same as the KR's version that secures the pins to the rad support. It's on a yellow mustang so I'm assuming it may be a picture of mellowyellow06's car. Mellowyellow 06, any pics? How is the hood holding up?

can I get you to send me an email with the pic purple? I would really appreciate it. I need to get this figured out pretty quickly. I am hoping to get the hood and the front end converted by the end of the month or the first week or so of december. If I have to order any other parts, the sooner I order them, the better and easier the conversion will go.

andretti@kc.rr.com

Thanks if at all possible.

Andretti
Old 11/13/08, 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Hood pins for that hood

I think these pins are the way to go...

http://store.cobranda.com/19shcohopink1.html

they came with the brackets
Attached Images  
Old 11/13/08, 05:21 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Andretti1
can I get you to send me an email with the pic purple? I would really appreciate it. I need to get this figured out pretty quickly. I am hoping to get the hood and the front end converted by the end of the month or the first week or so of december. If I have to order any other parts, the sooner I order them, the better and easier the conversion will go.

andretti@kc.rr.com

Thanks if at all possible.

Andretti

PM sent. Mellowyellow06 where are you?
Old 11/13/08, 07:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5150PONY
I think these pins are the way to go...

http://store.cobranda.com/19shcohopink1.html

they came with the brackets
For the life of me I cant figure out how the bracket would attach and work. Obviously it will and does, but I cant figure it out in my mind. I have gotten the pic from purple, so I do have an idea how those can attach, I will just need to fab the bracket (which really looks rather easy). I'll take a few pics when I do that as well.

Just be forewarned guys....I'm totally stoked about this hood and new front end. But with the holidays coming and some health issues in my family, it may not be till the end of the month or even sometime next month before everything is done (though I have every intention of doing it as soon as possible). When any progress is made I will definately update anyone interested.

Andretti
Old 11/13/08, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought I'd throw in some comments just to think about. Those hood pins use the same design as my Harley saddlebags. The saddlebag pins are on the upper inside and secure the bag to the frame. The pin is pushed into the bracket where the spiral notch catches on a thin piece of hardened wire. Then, you twist the pin until it screws down somewhat like a bolt into a nut. The pin is held in place by the spiral notch which has a bit of a recess so it sort of clicks/locks into place. This design worked fine on my Harley saddlebags since the bulk of the weight rested on a support bar under the fiberglass bags, and the pressure on the pins was light since the bag pressed down instead of pulling outward.

However, I would not want to rely on these pins to hold a hood on, especially at higher speeds. Since the hood latch technically keeps the hood on, these pins would be great looking cosmetically, but probably not reliable for keeping the hood closed. On my GT/CS, I had a lot of hood flutter at freeway speeds. I put the Scott Drake Shelby style pins on and it has elimated 99% of my hood vibration. This tells me that the hood is pressing against the pins at speed and it is keeping the hood from moving. I think there is a fair amount of pressure on the pins at speed hence the thickness of the pins and cross pins, as well as the sturdy mounting of those pins. Perhaps Mellowyellow06 can answer up and tell us if he had any issues with his coming loose, the wire bending, or the bracket bending. If the hood is strongly secured through the latch and bumpers, then this probably wouldn't be an issue. If these pins are relied upon to hold the hood down, I might be a bit nervous about that. Just my .02, hopefully not an issue.
Old 11/14/08, 12:02 PM
GT Member

I've had my Trufiber Venom hood for several weeks now and it seems to be doing ok.

I will say that it took my bodyshop guy MUCH longer to prep & paint the hood than he originally quoted me...and that was even after he thoroughly looked it over in person.

here are some pictures.

no damage or pin holes on delivery day

no damage or pin holes on delivery day

Old 11/14/08, 12:35 PM
Cobra Member

If you don't mind sharing, what did it end up costing for the prep/paint of that hod?

Quick Reply: How are Your Trufiber Hoods Holding Up?