05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

How do you remove the stock spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/06, 10:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone!

I'm one of those that ordered spoiler delete, and the dealer put whatever order they wanted (I think they thought I was not gonna go through with it, and wanted to have one with the spoiler on).

Anyways, I want to take it out, so I took the screws out, and that spoiler is NOT MOVING! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE SPOILER!

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!
Old 2/9/06, 10:34 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Here you go, spoiler removal:

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/albums/us...val-spoiler.pdf
Old 2/9/06, 10:36 AM
Cobra Member

how do you RIP THAT SUCKER UP without breaking it?

And how do you clean the double stick tape (or foam... it looks like a black foam material)

Thanks!
Old 2/9/06, 10:37 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Try heating it up with a blow dryer or heat gun
Old 2/9/06, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the PDF, but the instructions say to remove the 4 nuts and remove the rear spoiler... well, I removed the 4 nuts, but that thing was not going anywhere, so I'm gonna need a little more help than that...
Old 2/9/06, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rony1976 @ February 9, 2006, 12:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
how do you RIP THAT SUCKER UP without breaking it?

And how do you clean the double stick tape (or foam... it looks like a black foam material)

Thanks!
[/b][/quote]

I used a razor to cut away the tape from the spoiler and used alcohol and a plastic scraper to clean it up. I read a post where somebody said to use a hair dryer to heat the tape for a couple of minutes and it would lift right up.
Old 2/9/06, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Rony when we did our car for SEMA I used a hair drier to get the double sided tape lose. Then it just pulled right off. You have to pull straight up so you don’t bend the thin trunk metal. We got any new photos yet?
Old 2/9/06, 11:49 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input!

Hey Rick, I have BEAUTIFUL pictures, but I can't find the cable to download them! UGH!

I've been looking for the darn thing for days now...

But in any case, I'll remove the spoiler this Sunday, take MORE pictures! and get you guys' input to see if you like what I have in mind to fix the spoiler delete situation.... I"M KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT (in case it comes out like POO!)
Old 2/9/06, 12:23 PM
GT Member

Use a high tensile strength fishing line and "saw" through the tape pulling the string between the wing and the deck lid this will release most of the tape and make the removal a lot easier and keep you from denting the deck lid. Softening the tape with a heat source might not be enough and if you pull up to hard you could just as easily create a high spot in the deck lid before the tape releases.

Jason
Old 2/9/06, 12:36 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rony1976 @ February 9, 2006, 9:32 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hello everyone!

I'm one of those that ordered spoiler delete, and the dealer put whatever order they wanted (I think they thought I was not gonna go through with it, and wanted to have one with the spoiler on).

Anyways, I want to take it out, so I took the screws out, and that spoiler is NOT MOVING! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE SPOILER!

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!
[/b][/quote]

My dealer warned me there is a good chance mine will have a spoiler since he caught his mistake (failing to include the spoiler delete on the order) late in the game. He says since it is his fault (if the spoiler is on there) he will pay to have a body shop remove it and fill the holes. Seems only fair when you consider you are spending over $30K on a new car. He has been great throughout the process so maybe my experience is the exception and not the rule.
Old 2/9/06, 01:39 PM
Cobra Member

Defenitely not the rule! And thanks Jason, I'll probably do that... actually, I'll probably do ALL of the above (hold the hair drier with my mouth while I saw the tape off, and probably be on the cell phone, can you guys picture that! ha ha

Hopefully my alternative to the body shop and more $$$ spend to fill the holes turn out ok.

I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the tips!
Old 2/9/06, 03:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(davetito @ February 9, 2006, 12:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My dealer warned me there is a good chance mine will have a spoiler since he caught his mistake (failing to include the spoiler delete on the order) late in the game. He says since it is his fault (if the spoiler is on there) he will pay to have a body shop remove it and fill the holes. Seems only fair when you consider you are spending over $30K on a new car. He has been great throughout the process so maybe my experience is the exception and not the rule.
[/b][/quote]

You should just tell the dealer to replace your decklid w/ a decklid from a V6 and switch the trunk badges.
Old 2/9/06, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Rony, if you don't have fishing line, several strands of dental floss will work great. It'll leave your trunk minty fresh, and if you're like me, you probably weren't using it anyway. Save the fishing line for fishing! You can (tediously) rub the foam rubber till it rolls up and eventually peel it off. Then use something like "Goo-gone" to remove the glue residue. It aint too hard. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/9/06, 09:43 PM
3rd Times A Charm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(backafter20 @ February 9, 2006, 8:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey Rony, if you don't have fishing line, several strands of dental floss will work great. It'll leave your trunk minty fresh, and if you're like me, you probably weren't using it anyway. Save the fishing line for fishing! You can (tediously) rub the foam rubber till it rolls up and eventually peel it off. Then use something like "Goo-gone" to remove the glue residue. It aint too hard. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

That is exactly how I removed my emblems. The good old fighing line trick! I think it will solve your problems. No need to heat it either. But it sure would make it a little easier.

Good luck.
Old 2/9/06, 10:36 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(06GT @ February 9, 2006, 2:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You should just tell the dealer to replace your decklid w/ a decklid from a V6 and switch the trunk badges.
[/b][/quote]

I would - the problem is my dealer is in Michigan and I'm not sure the dealer I am picking it up from will be so anxious to help me out. I will definitley try that.
Old 2/10/06, 06:28 AM
Cobra Member

Thank you fellas, thank you!

I'll be doing this on Sunday, and I'll post pictures. I finally found the cable to download them! Here's a teaser (this is how the car looks right now).

Tell me what you think.

[attachmentid=44858]
Old 2/10/06, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(06GT @ February 9, 2006, 5:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

??? V6s have the same spoiler as V8s.
Old 2/10/06, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

I think it's the same thing, just the medallion in the back, one has the pony, the other one the GT... hopefully my idea works out, I'll see sunday!
Old 2/10/06, 03:58 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or you could do it the caveman way - take 10 minutes and just rock it back and forth with hard pressure - breaks the tape bit by bit and it will tear away - they removing the adhesive is fairly easy........

Then again, I had my whole decklid off and did it on my living room floor - it will probably be a lot tougher ON the car....... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 07:29 AM
Cobra Member

It's been a female dog to get the glue off! I tried Goo Gone, I tried the hair drier, I'm about ready to pull a flame thrower! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/flamethrower.gif[/img]

I couldn't get all the glue out yet, so no pics until I can

Quick Reply: How do you remove the stock spoiler?