05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

hood project

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/05, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys have been great. as for using a whole saw, that would ruin the inner piece wouldnt it? all i want to do is cut the the line marked with an X, pull the front down around 1 1/2 - 2 ". weld an aluminium form for the front and sides or use fibrglass.
Old 2/5/05, 07:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 2MustangJohn@February 5, 2005, 4:57 AM
Yea, gotta agree with that, its a PITA to work with sometimes. 12 years working on aircraft here (military and commercial) so here goes. Like the other guy said. use a holesaw for the radii of the corners w/ some backing, and for the long (and short) straight cuts, use a die grinder (straight or angled) w/ a fiber cutoff wheel. Wheel should only be about a 1/16th" thick and use a straight edge or board for a guide. Wish i knew what type aluminum it was, some can be kinda forgiving, some not at all. How r u planning to form the scoops? One trick is to make 2 wooden forms of the shape you're wanting that fit together (sorta male and female) and use them to press out the shape. Or just one block and use a hammer to form the shape. Of course, you could cut and splice, then TIG weld it together (might warp though). Just remember, people have been working with sheet aluminum, in complex shapes, since the '30's. Anyways, good luck! oh and get some similar aluminum sheet metal to practice on! B)

As for practicing, i tried it on a small piece. didnt come out too bad.

THANX AGAIN GUYS!!!!
Old 2/5/05, 09:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You did not show the underside, and besides you could still use a drill with a drill stop, if you want , PM me with your phone #, and i will give you a call and try and help you out any way I can.
Old 2/5/05, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If i were you, i wouldnt cut the hood exactly like 3d carbons. If you are planning to stripe the car, i would make the gap between the scoops the same as the gap between the stripes and make the scoops as wide as the stripes. I think that would look incredible.
Old 2/5/05, 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah that way no one will look at yours and think it's just another store bought hood, but a truly custom one.
Old 2/5/05, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

guys i think what he is saying is that he wants to keep the inner area, the hood area inside the tape. Then just cut along the three edges leaving it attached at the fourth. That way he can just bend it down an inch and a half or so. If he was to drill a hole at each radius then he would be ruining the inside area (it would have a big hole in it) and he wouldnt be able to use it the way he has planned.
Old 2/5/05, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by b_btrick@February 5, 2005, 11:55 AM
guys i think what he is saying is that he wants to keep the inner area, the hood area inside the tape. Then just cut along the three edges leaving it attached at the fourth. That way he can just bend it down an inch and a half or so. If he was to drill a hole at each radius then he would be ruining the inside area (it would have a big hole in it) and he wouldnt be able to use it the way he has planned.

you got it butch.

As for changing the demensions, i love the way they made the hood.
Having 11" downscoops will look too small IMO. just like the small
stripes the dealers are selling lol
Old 2/5/05, 11:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by b_btrick@February 5, 2005, 11:55 AM
NOT if he uses a drill stop, he will just go thru the first layer, for that matter just use the hole saw and stop as soon as you are thru the first layer.
Old 2/5/05, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

You may be able to ask Ford what the Mill Cert is for their aluminum body parts are. This will tell you the hardness. Don't use water or laser, you will cause yourself huge work. You best bet is the good old fashioned way. Starting with a hole saw at a low/med speed. Test it out on another sheet first, make a few cuts with different speeds. Too fast will cause too much heat and cause it to warp, too slow will chew up the edges. Play a bit. Once you have that figured there are 2 ways you can go. By hand...the safest and most labour intensive. Or by aluminum cutting wheel. This is fast and fairly safe, just take your time and be paitent. If your not completely secure in either process, take it to a metal/fab shop that specializes in aluminum. If you only get them to do the cuts is fairly cheap.
Good Luck!!!

I just seen the "inside area" comments...if thats the case, use the cutting wheel, just make sure you have the right disc on it for aluminum. And have a few extra discs around, their cheap.
Old 2/5/05, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I took your advise Mustang John. I used the 1\16 cutting wheel.
Worked great.
Foe the radius corners? well that took me a while. Scribed it with hacksaw blade. Didnt want to screw it up.
Tomorrow i with cut the underside. So far so good guys.
Thanx again
Old 2/5/05, 05:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey!! Thats great!! Wasn't thinking about using the inner piece when i said to use a hole saw. Good thinking using a hacksaw blade!! And using fiberglass should work too, if you can get it to stick well!! Remember, aluminum transfers heat quickly and expands quickly too! But it can be done, I've done myself, just had all the equipment I needed in the Air Force!! If you can TIG-weld, that's the way to do it, and you'd not have to weld the whole thing, just some 1"-2" strips around the edges. B) BTW, let's see some pics!!
Old 2/5/05, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Does anyone know the width of 3d carbons stripes.
Looks alot wider than Adrenalins 10 3\4 stripes.
Old 2/5/05, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK to answer my own question,from the side of the hood to the middle of the hood(in the 3d carbon picture), the stripe is exacly in the middle of half the hood. now, from the side of the hood to the middle is 28". Half of that is 14", minus 1" of the 2" midhood spacing and you have a big arsed 13" stripe.
Old 2/5/05, 06:35 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by davids2toys+February 5, 2005, 12:58 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(davids2toys @ February 5, 2005, 12:58 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-b_btrick@February 5, 2005, 11:55 AM
NOT if he uses a drill stop, he will just go thru the first layer, for that matter just use the hole saw and stop as soon as you are thru the first layer.
[/b][/quote]

You don't understand. He does not mean the underside of the hood, he means the top layer of the hood between the squares in the first picture. He's cutting three sides (front and sides), leaving the rear intact as a hinge, and pulling the cut-out part down. Think about what this would look like if he cut anything out with a hole saw.
Old 2/6/05, 08:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by GirchyGirchy+February 5, 2005, 7:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GirchyGirchy @ February 5, 2005, 7:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by davids2toys@February 5, 2005, 12:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-b_btrick
@February 5, 2005, 11:55 AM

You don't understand. He does not mean the underside of the hood, he means the top layer of the hood between the squares in the first picture. He's cutting three sides (front and sides), leaving the rear intact as a hinge, and pulling the cut-out part down. Think about what this would look like if he cut anything out with a hole saw.
[/b][/quote]

Duh...sorry, I got it now
Old 2/6/05, 08:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Will these depressions be totally closed in...(no air pick ups)?
Old 2/6/05, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by davids2toys@February 6, 2005, 9:13 AM
Will these depressions be totally closed in...(no air pick ups)?

these are the air pickups.
BUT. i havent seen the underside to see how it sends it to the air filter.
Might have to fabricate an air dam that channels its way above the filter.
CHIP FOOSE move aside lmao

Also, how the heck do i stop the water from going in!!!!
Old 2/6/05, 09:37 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by legend05@February 6, 2005, 9:51 AM
Also, how the heck do i stop the water from going in!!!!
Here's an idea...drill a couple of small holes in the lowest corner of each side, whichever corner the water naturally moves towards...probably the outer corners. Butt a length of thin rubber tubing against the hole on the underside of the hood and seal around it. Then run the hose out to the edges of the hood, above a location where water droplets will fall harmlessly. Make sense?
Old 2/6/05, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

if you want experiment a bit, go to a wrecking yard and get an old Ford Ranger hood, they are aluminum also, practice different techniques on the disposable hood first!.
30 years in the aircraft biz myself, I enjoy working with alum. better than steel anyday!
Old 2/6/05, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

50% done

Quick Reply: hood project