05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Hood prices

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/07, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood prices

I've been looking at hoods lately and they seem to range greatly in price. I'm curious as to what the average hood costs and what makes the more expensive one's really worth it. I know that for the most part Cervini's hoods are right around $500, with some of their hoods being as much as $800+ due to having the headlight extensions. As far as I'm concerned they have some of the best products on the market. Now what I'd really like to know is how some of these lesser known companies want to charge so much for a hood. Is it the fact that they are a smaller operation and their cost is that much higher or what? I just can't see paying $800+ for a hood and then adding shipping on to that to come out with an unpainted hood for right around $1000. Then you have to go spend however much getting the hood prepped and painted. Someone please help me out here. Now don't get me wrong if someone would custom make the hood I want then I'd be willing to spend $1000 on it, but I just really don't see too many people wanting to spend that much on a hood.
Old 3/10/07, 07:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI the factory hood costs $713.85. This comes off the dealer repair sheet for my car. This is delevered, the sheet says 1.6 hours to install, and 5.5 hours to finish ( that includes a two stage finish with the stripes). Keep in mind these are dealer book prices.
If I have to get my car repaired, I am looking at some new hoods.
When you are looking at new hoods keep in mind what an OEM runs. I have seen some after market ones as cheep as $400 and as high as $1800
Old 3/10/07, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

My Steeda hood was $499 +180shp + $300paint. Quality is awesome and required very little prep.
Old 3/10/07, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Price of these aftermarket are varies. Some of the big companies can obsorb some of the high cost such as mold (composite mold runs about $3000 sometime more) metal jigs. Big companies, since they are shipping big volume, they have great discount on shipping from shipping companies.

But there are many small companies out there are producing great products at a great price. You just need to spent sometime to do your research.

As for custom made hoods. I think it is hard to find someone to do custom made hood since it cost to much just to make one hood. If you could find more people willing to go in it with you, maybe you can find someone to customize the hood for you. Typically, small company willing to customize hood if you place 10 or more for them to consider.

I hope that helps.
Old 3/10/07, 10:17 AM

See but our factory hood is aluminum where just about all aftermarket hoods are fiberglass. I can understand and aluminum hood being more expensive. I'm just trying to find the best hood I can get for a good deal and try not to spend $1000 doing it.
Old 3/10/07, 10:22 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2006GT500
See but our factory hood is aluminum where just about all aftermarket hoods are fiberglass. I can understand and aluminum hood being more expensive. I'm just trying to find the best hood I can get for a good deal and try not to spend $1000 doing it.
What style are you interested in..I've been doing extensive research and I'm tired as hell
Old 3/10/07, 10:55 AM

Unfortunately no one makes the style i'm interested in. I love the Cervini's hoods that extend out further, however I don't like any of the styles for my personal car. Just like how they extend out. This won't work for my car currently because I have the Shelby front fascia. If I could have my dream hood it would be a hood extended out like the Cervini's hoods and have the Eleanor hood scoop. Not like Cervini's Eleanor hood now though because I don't think the scoop looks much like the actual scoop that is on the '67 Eleanor. That would be my dream hood.

That or just an Eleanor hood to fit the Shelby or a GT-H hood to fit the Shelby.
Old 3/10/07, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2006GT500
Unfortunately no one makes the style i'm interested in. I love the Cervini's hoods that extend out further, however I don't like any of the styles for my personal car. Just like how they extend out. This won't work for my car currently because I have the Shelby front fascia. If I could have my dream hood it would be a hood extended out like the Cervini's hoods and have the Eleanor hood scoop. Not like Cervini's Eleanor hood now though because I don't think the scoop looks much like the actual scoop that is on the '67 Eleanor. That would be my dream hood.

That or just an Eleanor hood to fit the Shelby or a GT-H hood to fit the Shelby.

Wow...that would be hard to find someone willing to customize it.
I wonder how many people would want to have a hood 3 inch longer then the oe....
and want a hood like that.....
Old 3/10/07, 05:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are really nice hoods out there and I would like to change mine out but like you mentioned the shipping cost, prep, and paint put it around $1000. I also wonder what I would do with the oem hood. I already have enough stuff in my garage without a hood sitting there taking up room. That's why I opted for a scoop instead.
Old 3/10/07, 05:55 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

first if you are willing to pay there are plenty of places that are willing to do a custom one off hood. Did you contact Ed at Stangwerks like I recommended and ask him how much it would be. I would think that it would be cheapest if you started with something as close to what you want as possible and moddify that instead of having a new hood made from scratch.

second, cost of the hood completely depends on how the mold was made and where. A lot of the cheaper hoods (mostly cheaper in quality) are made in either China or Mexico. Mexico tending to be cheaper of the two because of the lesser cost of importing them in. A lot of companies are starting to make them here in the USA themselves as technology gets better which saves on the cost of shipping them all, but the cost is often offset and more often then not increased because of the method in which a lot of these shops that are doing it themselves make the hoods. ie. a metal mold. A metal mold gaurantees a perfect hood everytime one is made, they will all be the same. Whereas the way that most are done outside of the US are done with urethane molds, which after a while expand from creating the hoods and kits and thus you get a bad fit. The finish also goes to the cost, gel coating for instance, which makes the hood (in most cases) easier to prep and paint. CF is a whole different story.

All that said a lot of companies online selling hoods and kits are not the company making it, they are mearly the retailer. This then creates an increase in the price to the consumer, although I have noticed that a lot of these companies are simply charging more for certain hoods simply because they can, meaning it is a popular hood and there is either no competition for that hood or everyone else is already selling at that price. Cervinis, I cant speak to their hoods and kits with 100% certainty, but is most likely having someone make their designs for them by an outside company as does Saleen (I do know that Cervinis had Mac design their exhaust for their kits). This still makes them the original producer of the hood as far as the consumer is concerned, because the cost to them is either the same and more than likely even less. These companies that come up with the designs then sell them to retailers who mark them up even more, this goes the same for knock off kits and hoods (there is a company that makes them and distributes them to someone like Mr. Bodykit to sell).

But there are some good prices on hoods out there.....uhem!
Old 3/11/07, 01:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Shipping is killer, at least for a residential to residential ship. My friend and I have been shopping this GT-H/CS6 hood around for a few weeks now and it looks like our best option to sell it is locally. As an example to ship this thing from South Florida to Texas is $395. No way someone is going to pay that, hell....I don't think I would let someone pay that.
Old 3/11/07, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Maybe cheaper if you ask for combo shiping. Sometime you can save some $$$ that way, and have it ship to your body shop...save more $$
Old 3/11/07, 11:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GPStang06
Shipping is killer, at least for a residential to residential ship. My friend and I have been shopping this GT-H/CS6 hood around for a few weeks now and it looks like our best option to sell it is locally. As an example to ship this thing from South Florida to Texas is $395. No way someone is going to pay that, hell....I don't think I would let someone pay that.
Do you know anybody that owns a business? I have friends ship stuff to my store all the time, mainly if a signature is needed. Other option is have it drop shipped to the body shop, that way you don't have to worry about transporting it from home to there and getting it damaged.
Old 3/11/07, 11:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally don't know anyone with a business down here. It shouldn't be to hard to sell it. I went forward and had mine done and with the amount of events down here all year around I should be able to generate enough interest in it.