05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

honest opinions on 22 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/05, 09:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honesty?

Anything over 19's on this car looks really lame. I know every auto show 05 had at the smallest 20's and even though they may appear nice at the show they do not seem to flow with the over all style of this car. 22's look rediculous on ANY car I've seen. The rubber band of a tire just looks goofy.

I doubt very highly someone who could not afford 22's would lie about how they feel about them, thats stupid. I can't afford a Ferrari, but I LOVE them they are beautiful cars. I CAN afford 22" rims but think they are completely rediculous looking.

Ofcourse I can also afford a set a faux gold teeth with my intials encrusted in rhine stones too, ...yea those are cool

Bottom line is this though, who cares what I think? It's not my car. I may shake my head and roll my eyes when I see it but I'm not the one paying for it, driving it and enjoying it.

To me it may as well have a compact disc hanging from the mirror and gold plated curb feelers on all four corners. If you dig it, thats all that matters.
Old 3/8/05, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

When i look at those pics you posted all i can look at are the wheels, but not in a good way. I keep trying to fit the rims to the car and can't, i just keep imagining how much better a set of deep dish bullits would look. For your sake i have tried see where your coming from but i can't get over the look of the rims compared to the lines of the car. This really isn't a car for 22 inch rims. But again, just my opinion.
Old 3/8/05, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

I like 19's on the car, but that's because I bought 19's. I fought with 18 vs 19 vs 20 for two months and finally made the plunge. I don't have pics yet but will post them asap!!!

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 3/8/05, 10:39 AM
GT Member

I love cars that have those kinds of rims. im a really big fan of them. but not on the mustang. i wouldent go higher then 20".. i think the 05 bullits and upgrade rims are plain but i also think putting anything higher then 20" would take to much attention on the wheels and not the car. but its ur car. and if u like it then go for it
Old 3/8/05, 10:51 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by adrenalin@March 8, 2005, 11:10 AM
If the 22's are fitted with rubber bands, wouldn't the overall tire diameter be close to stock anyway? For example, my tires are 27" high, only .5" more than stock. The 22" rims may be bigger than my 18's but the lower profile of the tire should end up making the tire close to stock hieght, at least if you are buying the right stuff. Why would that require a different brake package? The overall diameter has not changed. All you have done is replace the rubber with more rim.

I don't think it would require different brakes.
anytime you increase unsprung weight it is detrimental to performance in general as well as handling and braking of the vehicle in particular. Hence the need for better brakes as well as a change in the calibration of the springs and shocks.
Old 3/8/05, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I am not sure, but are you saying bigger aftermarket alloy rims weigh more than factory 17" boat sinkers?
Old 3/8/05, 11:18 AM
V6 Member

Mike...IMHO I think they are too big. I'm debating between 18s and 19s. BUT you are the one that will be driving the car so if you like them...go for it.
Old 3/8/05, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by jarto@March 8, 2005, 10:21 AM
Mike...IMHO I think they are too big. I'm debating between 18s and 19s. BUT you are the one that will be driving the car so if you like them...go for it.
Hey Nick, what are you looknig at for rims? I was also debating the same question. I went with 19's. Send me a PM.
Old 3/8/05, 11:51 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually I missed the not liking 22's because they are expensive the first time I read his post. What kind of sense does that make. I don't know of anyone that doesn't like something just because they can't afford it. I love Ferrari's, but I know unless I win the lottery, I will never be able to afford one.
Old 3/8/05, 12:23 PM
V6 Member

Let me wade in on this one, since I had the original 22" post of evil. I bought the Capella 20" ghost gt wheels and the beauty of it is they way 17lbs apiece. I wanted those HRE's but I cant justify $1400 a wheel (and that's just the 20's), and I sure don't want to have to replace a tire every time I hit a North Philly pothole. But I think the right 22" wheel looks good on the stang but why sacrifice power?
Old 3/8/05, 01:38 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I was waiting for godshariff to see his opinion Sorry guys if you don't understand. I will say again that 22's seem to be to big for this car. Sure they fill the wheel wells perfectly and they have them on some SEMA cars, but that's to much wheel to turn over. You will lose out on the performance. But if you did get them. Some airbags and ground effects lights would fit too.
Old 3/8/05, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by adrenalin@March 8, 2005, 11:10 AM
If the 22's are fitted with rubber bands, wouldn't the overall tire diameter be close to stock anyway? For example, my tires are 27" high, only .5" more than stock. The 22" rims may be bigger than my 18's but the lower profile of the tire should end up making the tire close to stock hieght, at least if you are buying the right stuff. Why would that require a different brake package? The overall diameter has not changed. All you have done is replace the rubber with more rim.

I don't think it would require different brakes.
http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0504phr_67gtr/
When it came time to decide on the wheels, 18x7 and 18x8 Hurst wheels (based on the original Hurst design) from Oasis Alloy got the nod. Since the 2005 Mustang comes shod with BF Goodrich tires, 225/40ZR18 g-Force T/A KDW for the front and 235/50ZR18 for the rear where chosen for the 1967 GT/R-Code. The wheels and tires are a critical choice for the g-Machine theme and this combination works perfectly for looks and function. Larry was quick to point out that they always upgrade the braking system to handle the heavier rotating mass of the much larger-than-stock wheels and tires. "We take a holistic approach to the vehicles we build. We don't just throw a big set of wheels and tires on without going with big brakes also." That's why three-piston billet calipers and 13-inch slotted rotors from Stainless Steel Brakes Corporation are at all four corners to make sure the car brakes as good as it handles and runs. How good? How does 60-0 mph in 96-feet, 1.0 lateral g, and 0-60 mph in 4.0 seconds sound?
Old 3/8/05, 04:35 PM
V6 Member

To each his/her own. I'm trying to figure out if 16's with a 70 series tire will fit. I started tinkering with cars in 1969 and guess I'm stuck in that era. I do like the look of the "tall" wheels on cars, but it's not something I'd do to mine - when it gets here.

John
Old 3/8/05, 05:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 05GT-BABY@March 8, 2005, 3:41 PM
I was waiting for godshariff to see his opinion Sorry guys if you don't understand. I will say again that 22's seem to be to big for this car. Sure they fill the wheel wells perfectly and they have them on some SEMA cars, but that's to much wheel to turn over. You will lose out on the performance. But if you did get them. Some airbags and ground effects lights would fit too.
Lol I wondered where you were.
Old 3/8/05, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

well thanks for ya'lls opinions it seems im almost alone on this one lol but like most of you said if i like it then thats what matters, and i wasnt meaning people dont like something cause they cant afford it i meant people that cant afford things normaly talk bad about others that have it , also i am in no way going for performance with this car i mean theres no where in houston for me to drive it to its full capabilitys anyway,

and no im not a gang banger cause of my name hahahahaha

VC stands for vertically chalenged we are a car/truck club with chapters all over the world

you can check out our website at http://www.vertically-challenged.com and check out the rides section under houston texas and mikes ram thats my old truck so maybe you all will see where im coming from in building the stang
Old 3/8/05, 07:37 PM
V6 Member

I'm not knocking you playboy..do you! Me personally, I have a score to settle with my brothers 350z. He's in Alabama, and all I hear from him is how he smoked every 05 Stang he's seen. I'm thinking he must be pulling up next to v6's, but I'm not going to disadvantage myself with 50lb apiece wheels. But aesthetically, i love the look of the 22's on the 3dCarbon car as Dozer and 05GT-BABY know
Old 3/8/05, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

i appreciate the suport lol im not worried as much about being lighter or going faster i mean heck im adding 300lbs of subs,amps and box in the car so speed is not the first on my list. looks are however. so maybe im just amoung the wrong crowd of folks on this forum and thats ok too cause when i had my truck layin on the ground with out a functional bed cause it was all dressed up in vynil to look nice lol i got slack from truck people all the time saying "why would you lower a truck" and "you ruined a perfectly good truck" so im used to people not likeing what i like and thinking my ideas are crazy or just plain stupid haha
Old 3/8/05, 10:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Pimp My Ride is still going strong. If you were the only one, the show would never have materialized.
Old 3/8/05, 10:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 3/8/05, 10:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

lmao at pimp my ride

Quick Reply: honest opinions on 22 inch wheels