05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

HID Foglights installed!

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/06, 04:51 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The packaging says it uses Phillips ICs inside (looks like the ballasts), but the entire kit isn't made by Phillips.

How has HID foglamps "improved" lighting?
Does it increase the lighting distance or does it just make it brighter?

I have heard that HID bulbs are not optimized for stock reflectors and the beam pattern will be all over the place. Did you find that to be true?
Old 10/30/06, 12:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
The packaging says it uses Phillips ICs inside (looks like the ballasts), but the entire kit isn't made by Phillips.

How has HID foglamps "improved" lighting?
Does it increase the lighting distance or does it just make it brighter?

I have heard that HID bulbs are not optimized for stock reflectors and the beam pattern will be all over the place. Did you find that to be true?
You are correct in identifying the manufacturer.

The stock foglamp lighting is focused "close" to the front of the car, meaning that the majority of the light is scattered toward the center of the hood for a short distance from the car. The headlights project light a lot further down the road, and the high beams even more so.

Placing HID bulbs in the foglights continue the stock lighting pattern of "close-in" lighting and concentrating the focus "center-down", just with a lot more detail. I'd liken it to the metal halide lighting used in parking lots (the bright white ones). The bluish tinge really makes road reflectors and street paint stand out, and the intensity of the light helps me see road imperfections and debris.

The headlights still project further down the road, as do the brights. The HID fogs do not overshoot the headlight beam pattern, only (brightly) "fill in the gap" in the center of the car.
Old 5/22/18, 06:53 PM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Did you have to use a relay or just plug then in and go? I have a ddm kit for my fogs I tried last year and couldn't get them to work. I'm not sure if I need a canbus system or if I should just try a legit Morimoto kit.