05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Help decoding body shop-ese

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/06, 02:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 05 V6 with factory stripes. Knucklehead neighbors had a party, fight spilled out, someone got thrown against the car and dented the front driver's q-panel, now I can't open the driver's door. Also small ding in hood. Shop #1 quoted $425 to fix panel and hood, and paint, but might end up taping off at the stripe. Shop #2 wants $1000 but will remove the stripe, repaint the whole hood, and put on a new stripe. They claim it would take a miracle for Shop #1's method to look good and last. Is this true? Does anyone have any recommendations about this?

thanks in advance!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 4/25/06, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BatNastard @ April 25, 2006, 3:02 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have an 05 V6 with factory stripes. Knucklehead neighbors had a party, fight spilled out, someone got thrown against the car and dented the front driver's q-panel, now I can't open the driver's door. Also small ding in hood. Shop #1 quoted $425 to fix panel and hood, and paint, but might end up taping off at the stripe. Shop #2 wants $1000 but will remove the stripe, repaint the whole hood, and put on a new stripe. They claim it would take a miracle for Shop #1's method to look good and last. Is this true? Does anyone have any recommendations about this?

thanks in advance!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

trust me...go with shop #2....dont cut corners on a brand new car.
Old 4/25/06, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hireman @ April 25, 2006, 5:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
trust me...go with shop #2....dont cut corners on a brand new car.
[/b][/quote]
+1
Old 4/25/06, 06:43 PM
GT Member

agreed -- just wondering if removing the stripe is really necessary for the paint to look right or a needless gouging [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] Not even sure why the car has to be painted just for 2 small dents, but both shops said so.
Old 4/25/06, 06:47 PM
GT Member

agreed -- just wondering if removing the stripe is really necessary for the paint to look right or a needless gouging [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] Not even sure why the car has to be painted just for 2 small dents, but both shops said so.
Old 4/25/06, 07:15 PM
GT Member

Argh -- stupid server errors!
Old 4/26/06, 07:07 AM
GT Member

We had a stone kick up right behind the drivers rear window and our shop insisted to do the job correctly, the needed to replace the stripe as well. This way the can shoot and clear the whole rear quarter and then re-stripe.

Go with shop #2...
Old 4/26/06, 07:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BatNastard @ April 25, 2006, 8:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

How small are the dents? You might want to look into Dent Wizards or Dent Busters. They fix dents without repaint. They do dings and small dents. I've used them and am very happy with their work. Once a tree blew over in a storm and landed on my truck, put a couple dents in the roof and they took them right out, good as new.

But if you must repaint then go with shop #2. There's no room for cutting corners in body/paint work.