05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Hash marks... with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/11, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hash marks... with a twist

There was a thread about some guy wanting to put hash marks on his car and someone posted pics of hash marks he installed with pin stripes. I never seen that before and thought it looked good. So I got done washing Bertha and remembered I had some pin striping left over from another car I owned from about 6 years back. Thought I'd try it and see what it looked like... I think it looks **** good!

Old 8/27/11, 07:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
absolutely love them, hope you dont mind when i do that to mine. been wanting to put the hash stripes just havent pulled the trigger yet.
Old 8/27/11, 08:06 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I saw hash stripes on a Dodge Nitro today. They are becoming seriously overplayed quickly.

I like them. And I like them for Mustangs. But the other drivers are killing them for me
Old 8/27/11, 09:36 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Not bad. I wouldn't do it to my own car, but that's not bad lookin'. I like the thin stripes on the outside...from a distance, it almost makes it look like it fades out.
Old 8/27/11, 09:44 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks very good. nice job
Old 8/27/11, 10:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I saw hash stripes on a Dodge Nitro today. They are becoming seriously overplayed quickly.

I like them. And I like them for Mustangs. But the other drivers are killing them for me
Gary, that's funny, cuz I was just telling my wife today how it seemed to me like everything Mustang people had been doing the last couple of years was now showing up on all the camaros and challys. As they say though, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so that's how I'll look at it on those cars....and they are similar types of cars. However, on a Nitro? That's just silliness. I mean, I'm sure the Nitro has a history of racing and all (roll eyes), but seriously?

D'prived...I think the stripes look good. Of course, I'm now curious if you plan to pinstripe your OTT stripes or not?

Last edited by UMich97; 8/27/11 at 10:29 PM.
Old 8/28/11, 05:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great!
Old 8/28/11, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UMich97
D'prived...I think the stripes look good. Of course, I'm now curious if you plan to pinstripe your OTT stripes or not?
Thanks! I am in the process of having my car restriped with pinstripes. Probably in the next month or so.
Old 8/28/11, 05:01 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Gary, that's funny, cuz I was just telling my wife today how it seemed to me like everything Mustang people had been doing the last couple of years was now showing up on all the camaros and challys. As they say though, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so that's how I'll look at it on those cars....and they are similar types of cars. However, on a Nitro? That's just silliness. I mean, I'm sure the Nitro has a history of racing and all (roll eyes), but seriously?

I'm not sure, but as of a few years ago, I'd only ever seen these on corvettes...
while maybe not for me, they do look good with the pinstripes. does anyone actually know the story behind these? seemed to me years(maybe decades) ago I recall seeing red hash stripes on only one side of a corvette- mighta been a Lingenfelter or Guldstrand car, dont recall... just always wondered if it was supposed to signify something like a track win or something?

anyways- cool outline, I also think that would go well with the big stripes

Last edited by ford4v429; 8/28/11 at 05:07 PM.
Old 8/28/11, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tim,

The fender stripes started before my day, so I'm going off second hand knowledge here, but my understanding is that they were used as a way to distinguish different race cars on the same team, as the rest of the car was painted similar. I've heard they started on Cobra's back in the day, but I can't say that's for sure, as that's just what I heard.

Oh, and my comment on the Camaros and Challys, was more of an overall observation. However, I guess nothing that surprising, as the Camaro and Chally were GM and Chrysler's response back in the day to the Mustang, so no surprise they follow in similar footsteps today. ...and don't get me wrong, both are decent offerings, just IMO neither is as original (or as good) as the Mustang. I must admit though, I am biased towards the Mustang.

Last edited by UMich97; 8/28/11 at 07:14 PM.
Old 8/28/11, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the "hash marks" are from early race cars. Here's an example that "may" have started the trend- 1970 BRE Datsun 510!

Last edited by Ronin38; 8/28/11 at 07:23 PM.
Old 8/28/11, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, it would be cool if someone could figure out where it truly started.....like which race team did it first, or which race organization required it, etc. I'm really quite curious now, as all the info I've ever seen is just various comments on forums or maybe a random article, but nothing that linked it back to anything specific. Of course, maybe this is one of those things that started and no ones remembers exactly when or where.
Old 8/29/11, 01:13 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Started on Vettes in the early 60s and then was quickly adopted by the Shelby Cobras. Mustangs followed with the GT350s. When all the makers or teams cars were the same color it was a way to distinguish the team members. I think.
Old 8/29/11, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is where I saw them first.
Old 8/29/11, 08:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Daaamn, that almost makes me want to do that to my car
Old 8/29/11, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by ford4v429
I'm not sure, but as of a few years ago, I'd only ever seen these on corvettes...
while maybe not for me, they do look good with the pinstripes. does anyone actually know the story behind these? seemed to me years(maybe decades) ago I recall seeing red hash stripes on only one side of a corvette- mighta been a Lingenfelter or Guldstrand car, dont recall... just always wondered if it was supposed to signify something like a track win or something?

anyways- cool outline, I also think that would go well with the big stripes
I've seen it on the LS1 at a local dealer. Dprived, as always your stang looks great! Can't wait to see the pinstripe on your lemans when they are done!
Old 8/30/11, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the 96 Corvette Grandsport. Only 800ish made. That's not a real good picture as that color is amazing! I had the same color in a 95 vette and put those hash marks on it. My 1932 Deuce is also that color.

That was the first place I saw them too..

By the way, to the OP, they look great!! Well done!!
Old 8/31/11, 09:01 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Yeah, it would be cool if someone could figure out where it truly started.....like which race team did it first, or which race organization required it, etc. I'm really quite curious now, as all the info I've ever seen is just various comments on forums or maybe a random article, but nothing that linked it back to anything specific. Of course, maybe this is one of those things that started and no ones remembers exactly when or where.
corvettes...http://www.automedia.com/2010_Chevro...ts20091001gs/1
"The front fender stripes are a visual salute to those five Grand Sport racing prototypes built in 1963 by Corvette Chief Engineer Zora Arkus Duntov as well as those 1,000 limited edition 1994 Grand Sports."

that blue one a few posts up is the same one I saw them first on... with all due respect to Zora Arkus-Duntov, I really didnt like them as they were drivers side only and I just never liked asymmetric stripes or scoops of any kind...
Old 8/31/11, 09:37 PM
GT Member

Dodge is now putting these on all kinds of stock cars, now, unfortunately. That's why you guys are seeing them on Nitros and such. Over the course of 5 minutes, I saw them on a Challenger and a Nitro a couple days ago.
Old 9/1/11, 05:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
corvettes...http://www.automedia.com/2010_Chevro...ts20091001gs/1
"The front fender stripes are a visual salute to those five Grand Sport racing prototypes built in 1963 by Corvette Chief Engineer Zora Arkus Duntov as well as those 1,000 limited edition 1994 Grand Sports."

that blue one a few posts up is the same one I saw them first on... with all due respect to Zora Arkus-Duntov, I really didnt like them as they were drivers side only and I just never liked asymmetric stripes or scoops of any kind...
Thanks Tim. That's the first article I've seen that mentioned a specific person (Corvetter CNE). Good to know.

Quick Reply: Hash marks... with a twist