05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Functional Splitter and Diffuser (not Shelby)

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/06, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Functional Splitter and Diffuser (not Shelby)

Now that I am a bit older and I'd like to think wiser (though that could be debated) I am not only building my car from a systems type approach but I am also looking into the aerodynamics of the car more at high speeds.

I have taken the car as fast as she could go (150 + indicated) and noticed that at that speed things get a little squirly. I am looking for a functional wing, splitter, and diffuser combo that would give me some downforce at speed instead of the natural lift that these cars seem to have. I think i remember seeing somewhere that the stock GT produced 700 pounds of lift, while the shelby with its aero package produces zero lift but zero downforce as well.

I have seen some one-off pieces on some race cars but I am wondering if anyone knows of a company that produces the splitters, diffusers, and spoilers as a kit of individual pieces that adjust with the tie rod looking threaded rods etc... Anyone know of anything like this? I have also been looking at the vortex generators from www.agent47.com but without a functional wing I don't know if they would be worth it...

Any thoughts?
Old 11/1/06, 01:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Any kind of functional wing will be big ala Steeda race wing. Steeda also has a functional front splitter also.
Old 11/1/06, 02:19 PM
Cobra Member

I'd go with Steeds... they are race proven and a good company to deal with.
Old 11/1/06, 08:49 PM
Cobra Member

Anyone tried to install the Shelby splitter on the GT? It looks more survivable than the aftermarket ones.
Old 11/2/06, 05:19 AM
Bullitt Member

check out the legend front splitter as well. Very durable.
Old 11/9/06, 12:21 PM

I appreciate the input everyone! I saw a picture of the FR500GT? from SEMA Blue with white stripes and it has what I want. Big splitter and diffuser on the back. I am looking for a very durable, adjustable, functional and engineered solution. Not just a body kit. I tried calling Ford, they referred me to Multimatic in Canada who puts the FR500s together and I am awaiting contact back from them.
Old 11/9/06, 12:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't compare what the Ford GT can do, in regards to air deflection and downforce, in regards to making a Mustang GT like it. If you haven't ever seen the bottom of a Ford GT, the entire undercarriage is paneled with plates with hundreds of torq screws. Nothing is exposed, so the air can just flow under the car freely, and not get trapped anywhere. The only openings are at the a-arms for the suspension. If someone has to work on the car, or even do an oil change, those panels have to come off. That is where the rear diffuser comes in handy, since the car has venturi tunnels underneath.

Now this isn't to say, that there isn't a way to make some sort of undercarriage assembly like the Ford GT. I bet if someone attempted this, the car would handle alot better at speed.
Old 11/9/06, 12:45 PM

I know, I am not trying to get the performance of a ford GT. I said FR500GT. See pics, I am looking for an aero package like that.
Attached Thumbnails Functional Splitter and Diffuser (not Shelby)-stang1.jpg   Functional Splitter and Diffuser (not Shelby)-stang2.jpg   Functional Splitter and Diffuser (not Shelby)-stang3.jpg   Functional Splitter and Diffuser (not Shelby)-stang6.jpg   Functional Splitter and Diffuser (not Shelby)-stang4.jpg  

Old 11/9/06, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Any aerodynamics experts out there know at what speed it actually becoms beneficial to have a rear wing that big? They always seem a bit much, but that is just my opinion.
Old 11/9/06, 06:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by DarkGT
I know, I am not trying to get the performance of a ford GT. I said FR500GT. See pics, I am looking for an aero package like that.
I'm sorry Mark, my fault. Whenever I see or hear people refer to a car as just "GT" in regards to a Ford, and there not referring to a Mustang, I automatically think Ford GT. My apologies.
Old 11/9/06, 08:00 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by sts767
Any aerodynamics experts out there know at what speed it actually becoms beneficial to have a rear wing that big? They always seem a bit much, but that is just my opinion.
I am by no means an expert in the subject matter, but at speeds above even 45 mph an advantage (or disadvantage) could be had by a sufficiently large aerodynamic device. The SCCA Solo mod category is a great example of this, where cars rarely get over 70mph in top speed, but have wings that look like the belong on a quarter-midget dirt car.

As to the Mustang, and cars like it - the air is so "dirty" that you have to put it up where it clears the greenhouse -aka- cabin to do what you want it to. And in this case, that is to create downforce. A spoiler, on the other hand, does exactly that, spoils the air off the back of the body to keep it from producing lift at speed - hence why NASCAR and other "stock" body type cars are normally limited to the height of such devices to negate any advantage that spoiling more of the lift would give an individual car.

All that said, at normal road speeds in normal driving, this stuff isn't going to change much for you. It's not big enough, and the car isn't slick enough for it to do what needs to be done. Do it if you like the looks, but unless you routinely are in excess of triple-digit speeds, realize it isn't going to make you any faster. And to top it, negating lift via spoilers, dams, etc.. is a net drag on the aero of the car, hence you need more power to push it through, so in essence you will be slowing it down a little, at least until you have additional Hp to utilize it...

Just my various ramblings on it... but I do like the look of the front end of that car...