05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/05, 03:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just got back from Sacramento and noticed that approximately 1 out of every 10 cars did not have a front license plate so I'm pretty happy that I told my dealer that I didn't want them to drill holes in the front bumper. looks like it's a law that isn't enforced here in the Golden state.
Old 2/6/05, 05:00 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i live in southern california and tis required
Old 2/7/05, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

You are okay without it generally speaking in Sacramento. It is a vehicle code, however, that can be and is used to get a car pulled over if the officer really needs a reason.
Old 2/7/05, 02:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rich@February 6, 2005, 4:51 PM
I just got back from Sacramento and noticed that approximately 1 out of every 10 cars did not have a front license plate so I'm pretty happy that I told my dealer that I didn't want them to drill holes in the front bumper. looks like it's a law that isn't enforced here in the Golden state.

Just got popped for not having a front plate on my Tacoma (fix-a-ticket) by the Sheriff's Dept here in SoCal. These Deputies were standing at the corner flagging over anyone without front plates, no seat belts, etc.
Old 2/7/05, 04:17 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah - you will see it being enforced more and more as the intersection camara's are deployed - cause some of them do read the front license plate and we can't have the State missing out on where to send the ticket!

Generally, the local law enforcement are not too strict around here - but if you head into LAX - the m-cycle LAPD are sitting right there when you 1st come in at Terminal 1 and will get you for no plate, window tint too dark, basically anything they can see to pull you over for. I even got a ticket for no front license plate - while away on a business trip parked in the LAX short term parking lot......was tight of them cause the place was packed and my LS was parked nose in against a concrete wall......the officer pretty much had to get down on his knees to even see the front of my car!! Nice "welcome home" to get back in town, sick from traveling and have a nice "present" under the wiper.....and to top it off LA doesn't even make it a "fix it" ticket anymore - just mail in the cash, baby!!
Old 2/7/05, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I have had 3 fix it tickets over the past 4 or 5 years for not having front license plates on my vehicles. They dont require you to fix it, only pay the fine. ( at least thats been my experence) I continue to pay the fines rather than put the front plates on my vehicles. Without a front plate I dont know if they can get you on the photo radar. Also, the cars look better without a front plate in my opinion..
Old 2/7/05, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Mustang Mike 05@February 7, 2005, 5:34 PM
I have had 3 fix it tickets over the past 4 or 5 years for not having front license plates on my vehicles. They dont require you to fix it, only pay the fine. ( at least thats been my experence) I continue to pay the fines rather than put the front plates on my vehicles. Without a front plate I dont know if they can get you on the photo radar. Also, the cars look better without a front plate in my opinion..
Well, maybe they changed the law now... now, you have to get the ticket signed off (not by any cop either, must have a special stamp to go along with the sig) AND pay a $10 'processing fee' when mailing it in.
I know, just did this last week!
Old 2/7/05, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I wonder if it depends on the city. I got one about 2 months ago in Glendale CA and all I had to do is pay the fine.. I dont know exactly what the law states but from past experence, I know the fine is diffrent by city.
Old 2/8/05, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by Mustang Mike 05@February 7, 2005, 6:52 PM
I wonder if it depends on the city. I got one about 2 months ago in Glendale CA and all I had to do is pay the fine.. I dont know exactly what the law states but from past experence, I know the fine is diffrent by city.
Mike-
Maybe so. I got my ticket in Carson (LA Sheriff's Dept) and fine was paid to LA Superior Court.

So, do you have a front plate on your Stang?
Old 2/8/05, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I dont have front plates on any of my cars..
Old 2/8/05, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

I got the same fix it ticket at LAX as well in their lot!..Rediculous they have nothing better to do than that!..I have no front plate on it to this day and will not..Fortunately for me though, my dad is a retired cop and can still "sign off" fix it tickets =)
Old 2/8/05, 12:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TacoBill+February 7, 2005, 6:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ February 7, 2005, 6:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Mustang Mike 05@February 7, 2005, 5:34 PM
Well, maybe they changed the law now... now, you have to get the ticket signed off (not by any cop either, must have a special stamp to go along with the sig) AND pay a $10 'processing fee' when mailing it in.
I know, just did this last week!
[/b][/quote]

Bill me too! For LA County mine have just been a payment but here in Ventura county - it's still a fix it ticket and you have to have it stamped by the Sherrifs Office and pay a $10.00 processing fee.....they didn't come look at the car though and I was so impressed with my "hidden duct tape" attachment job too
Old 2/8/05, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

I guess that Northern California is less of a "Police State" than SoCal.

Thank goodness.
Old 2/8/05, 02:10 PM
FR500 Member

Give em time!
Old 2/8/05, 07:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Come to think of it the only time I ever got a ticket was at the Sacramento airport. All those folks have to do their is walk around and ticket cars for different things. Lots of extra revenue for the airport that way.
Old 2/9/05, 03:50 AM

That's rather interesting about LAX because the local news undercover cameras reported that they spent the majority of their time sitting in fast food joints ignoring raido calls and falsifying their daily duty logs. Makes me wonder when they found the time to be petty enough to scratch someone for a b.s. fix it ticket while they were out of town.

If it makes you feel any better, as a result of the unexpected publicity they have now found themselves in the spotlight faciing accusations from all sides. The city council is even discussing reorganizing their unit and placing them under the command of the LAPD.

But generally speaking, you will not get hassled down this way if:

1. You commute thru cities who DON'T use photo dependent enforcement
2. You are driving an upscale, newer vehicle.
3. You are old enough to be considered a responsible adult, have a reasonably clean cut appearance and aren't doing something to otherwise draw attention to yourself.
4. Your're driving like a curteous, moderately responsible human being.
5. You avoid situations where you are passing thru directed traffic enforcement situations (ie: DUI checkpoints, concert or sporting events, airport terminals etc.)
6. The officer you just passed isn't currently pissed off about something beyond your control or, doesn't have a thing for writing no front plate tickets
7. The activity you are currently engaged in isn't something that the officer needs a reason to pull you over for (ie: leaving a bar at 1:45 am, cruising a neighborhood known for drug sales.)
8. You're packing the proverbial get out of tickets free card.