05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Foose Stallion Rear Spoiler install or, WTF could go wrong next

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/14, 07:17 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foose Stallion Rear Spoiler install or, WTF could go wrong next

The saga, oh the drama, the holes and the @#%!@ brake light.

SO. I finally decided to installed the rear spoiler. How hard could it be? Pulled off old one, drill a few holes, install new one…..WRONG

So read the instructions a couple times and gathered all my tools. Pulled the spoiler out of the box and …. $@#$#! There’s a dent in the corner of the main spoiler and the paint is Foosed (Chipped!)… How did I miss this when I first got it? Touched up the paint and decided to install as is, since I have neither the time nor money to repair. Hopefully I’m the only one that will notice.

Got out the templates, lined everything up, double checked orientation and drilled the holes.

Installed the main spoiler, and it looks great so far.

Now onto installing the ones on the side, This is a little more scary, since at least with the main spoiler I could just replace the trunk if I don’t like it or mess it up too bad, the sides on the other hand…. Major body repair if all goes bad….but here goes.

Drilled the holes and upon initial inspection looks like it’s a slam dunk. Oh, but how wrong can I be.

As I installed the sides and slipped the bolts into their holes, it appears the holes are too low and to one side a bit, double checked the template and I drilled it exactly as shown, WTF? Called CDC, they don't remember shipping any spoilers to Foose with templates, seems these templates are for the stock CDC ducktail, not the Foose. The ones shipped to Foose did not need templates or retail packaging as they were never intended for resale, so the templates are wrong.

SO, I go for the old school method, line it up visually, push hard on the spoiler so the bolts make marks in the paint and drill where the marks are. Still off a bit but closer, so elongate the holes a bit more and realize that the nuts will fall through once installed.

Off to the home improvement store for some fender washers while the primer dries on the massive ugly holes I’ve drilled.

When I get back I finish the install of the sides. Realize that the sides don’t line up with the trunk lines or main spoiler once tightened down, so have to add some more gasket material and a shim….whew, finally, done…. Oh wait, I do have the brake light to install…no biggie… ****, wrong again.

Somehow the brake light hole was cut out (by the factory I might add) the exact size of the brake light, so it falls right in, no way to attach either. Call CDC and am informed that they don’t know either as it seems the spoiler with the brake light was intended for the Foose convertible of which only 25 were made and no one outside of whoever installed those 25 spoilers have a clue.

So, off to TAP Plastics to get some textured ABS to make a bezel out of and the auto parts store for body panel blind nuts. Hey, it matches my rear filler panel, so that's a bonus.

Anyhow, got it all installed, and regardless, I’m glad I did it, gives it the look I was going for….. Since I only paid $55 for the spoiler, pre-painted I might add, I can’t complain too much, just wish I had bought a second one to store away just in case...

SO, here are the obligatory pics...

Name:  20140706_165143_zps53ggcnlm.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  20140706_165126_zpskhfz4tq0.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  20140706_165233_zpshyr3auct.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  20140706_165258_zpsr791lrxw.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  20140706_165247_zpsho3dfbf3.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  80.7 KB

Last edited by randyre; 7/6/14 at 07:22 PM.
Old 7/6/14, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe its just me, and i dont mean to offend. But i dont think that looks good at all.
Old 7/6/14, 07:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Pilks
Maybe its just me, and i dont mean to offend. But i dont think that looks good at all.

The style, My install, or My third brake light mod?

I like it because it gives it that 1970 Mach1 back end, which is what I was going for. But without the pedestal spoiler, which I have and can always re-install as well.

Last edited by randyre; 7/6/14 at 07:39 PM.
Old 7/6/14, 08:10 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I like it, the paint looks good, the third-brake-light improv is well done. Your saga sounds scary, but you pulled it off. I don't have the huevos to drill into the rear quarters, but you managed. Good job.
Old 7/8/14, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice fuel door cap.

That spolier has an awful fit.
But if you like it, I love it.
Old 7/9/14, 01:51 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by wallace
Nice fuel door cap.

That spolier has an awful fit.
But if you like it, I love it.

Thanks, the fuel door was an eBay purchase, and it was super cheap ($35 I think) I don't believe Ford Racing sells it anymore.

As for the fit of the spoiler, it fits as intended, the template was wrong, but once lined up by hand it fit fine. Its no better, or worse than the factory fit of my rear bumper to rear quarter panel fit from Ford.

If you're talking about the design, not sure what to say, its the way CDC designed it and there's a few hundred Stallions running around with the same fit and finish. But ducktails appear to be the most hated or loved of all the spoilers, not much middle ground with them it seems.

Last edited by randyre; 7/9/14 at 02:11 AM.
Old 7/10/14, 08:41 AM
Cobra Member

Not bad, but think the third brakelight would look better if you could sink it in a little more, flush mount style which that last blue pic you posted looks like
Old 7/10/14, 08:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
Not bad, but think the third brakelight would look better if you could sink it in a little more, flush mount style which that last blue pic you posted looks like
Their CHMSL is an LED strip, not the stock light. If I were the OP, I'd continue to try and source whatever light they used.
Old 7/10/14, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I posted a thread of my friends car about a month back. He has this spoiler installed as well. I helped him with it, and agree that it was a pain in the @ss to install. Plus the third brake light, led strip included, just falls into the spoiler when you try and get it flush. He had to do the same as you and reuse the old brake light.
Old 8/7/14, 08:20 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was strange with your timplets. Mine lined up spot on. And mine didn't have the break light cutout.
Attached Thumbnails Foose Stallion Rear Spoiler install or, WTF could go wrong next-dsc03521.jpg  
Old 8/7/14, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Spoiler looks great. The problem with installing things yourself is you know what is right and wrong. Like the guy who builds his own house. He see's all that is wrong with it but no one else does.

If you like it that all that counts. Looks Great.