05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Fog Lamp Conversion To Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/04, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As promised find enclosed info for the fog lamp to driving lamp conversion. This is lengthy. Pics next post.

I have always considered lights like HP, you can't have too much. Most 2 headlamp systems are not adequate for the speeds of the vehicle. The new Mustang can out drive the stock high beams by the end of 3rd gear. The fogs are a joke & are only good for day time running lights.

I have a supplier that can supply you with the package if you have interest. The enclosed pics were taken before I beamed the new lamps which are too low, but you can get the idea of the way they will perform. I will go out this weekend one night & beam them & report back. With my past experience with lighting I look forward to great results. At least twice to three times the increase in light, as these lights are whiter & brighter then OE. There will also be upgrades for the stock bulbs shortly which will make this a world class system.

I used 7" H-4 round lamps & buckets from a VW Golf II. 80-100watt H-4 Super white bulbs (look blue when not on) a Hella fused relay & Hella headlamp connectors. The H-4 is a low & high beam lamp.

When I first took the grill apart to inspect & measure, I removed the horns & replaced them with Hella 2 tone air horns. First, the stock horns are not adequate & they may be in the way of the conversion. (You may have to relocate them, bend the bracket, or go with the air horns). Second, air horns are so much better especially at highway speeds. The new stereo systems & exhaust make older horns obsolete. People can't hear you. Mounted the air horns in the lower valance left side. Trick with the horns are to keep them low, facing the ground, & use as little air line as possible. Sounds great.

To remove the grill open the hood. You will see a cover over the radiator support with 6 clips. Pull the pins up & remove the clips & cover. Then with a long big head flat screw driver pry the soft rubber tabs around the stiff tabs of the grill. Do the 2 by each headlamp first, then the four on the bottom. Put a cloth on the bumper cover so as not to scratch & pull out grill. Unplug the fog lamps by pushing on clip & pulling. Grill is out. Remove stock lamps & custom fit the new.

The buckets & grill have to be trimmed, drilled & ground to fit. I won't go into details, but the old adage about measure twice cut once applies hear. One of the pics shows the stock lamp & an upgrade from behind. You will use the stock torx bolts (size 25) in the stock holes.

A couple of tips. Be careful not to block the tabs on the bottom of the grill, you must trim enough to give them room to clip. You have 2 adjuster screws, 1 for vertical 1 for horizontal. Since the stock lamp is 6.75" & the new is 7.0" the adjusters are out of the stock bucket area, so you have to make holes in the flat part of the grill for the adjusters. A little tricky, but you can't see them unless your looking for them. Paint the buckets flat black as they are bronze new. A small portion of the bucket can be seen through the grill.

OK, wiring. The plug for the back of the lamps is the standard 3 wire plug. Looking at the back of the lamp you have 3 tabs on the bulb.

12 O'clock is the low beam. Yellow
3 O'clock is the ground. White
9 O'clock is the high beam. Brown

The left side fog plug:

Blue with black stripe is "+"
Black is "-"

The right side fog plug:

White with red stripe is "+"
Black is ground.

Cut the male end connector off of each Hella wiring lamp harness so you have 3-4" of wire on each female connector

Each new H-4 lamp has 2 connections that go to the stock fog harness. You will connect the low beam to the "+" side & you will connect the ground.

The stock relay for the fogs should be adequate for the 80w low beams. The circuit also has a 15 amp fuse so the fuse will blow before any damage can happen to the harness. If I find the relay is insufficient I will then wire a separate unit, but I do not for see it.

Now for the high beams. The Hella relay has 4 connections:

# 85 is ground
# 30 is 12 volts "+" in.
# 87 is out to the lamps.
# 86 is the 12 volt "+" trigger.

I ground (85) the relay to where I mount it. This way it is a short wire. I used one of the studs that hold the horn bracket to the radiator support for the mounting. Use the one behind the support.

I got my 12 volt "+" (30) from the fuse & relay box by the right side headlamp. Pull the cover & you will see a bolt in the back that holds a cable supplying power to the system. Unbolt the bolt & attach a wire eye connector.

To trigger the relay (86) I picked up the high beam circuit off of the right side headlamp. The white wire is the hot side for the high beam. This way whenever you put on your high beams or flash other vehicles all four lamps come on at the same time. No need for extra switches in the car.

The (87) connector then goes from the relay to the brown wire of each Hella lamp harness.

I put all of the wires into a 3/8" black wire loom, tape & wire tie everything up & it looks like it is factory.

It is not hard, just time consuming. You will find this the be the best $100 you can spend on your car.

Find your favorite wall or road & beam them as you like. I hope this will help some of you guys & gals out. Enjoy

I have gotten a few requests already so here is the supplier of the lights & air horns. I have no affiliation with them.

Classic Garage
997 Route 6
Brewster, NY 10509
845-940-1900 Mon-Fri

Ask for Stewart or Tim & tell them that the Pony Express referred you about the 05' Mustang Fog Conversion.

You want the 2 lamps & buckets, comes assembled. Golf II
2 80-100watt H-4 Super White bulbs
1 Hella fused relay
2 Hella lamp wire connectors
Old 12/11/04, 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here are the pics.

http://www.boomspeed.com/dpjedi/empty_grill_1.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/dpjedi/empty_grill_2.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/dpjedi/on_ground.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/dpjedi/no_lights_on.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/dpjedi/fogs_only.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/dpjedi/all_four_on.jpg
Old 12/11/04, 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great!

Edit: Had to remove the pics from boomspeed and upload them individually to this thread. My car's due any day and I'll need the space All pics are posted below.
Old 12/11/04, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks MTAS for all your help.
Old 12/11/04, 04:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Looks great. I will be looking forward to seeing the rest. More photos and part numbers would be even better.
Old 12/11/04, 04:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@December 11, 2004, 2:47 PM
I have a supplier that can supply you with the package if you have interest.
I'm interested. Can you send me the info? Thanks.
Old 12/11/04, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mongoose & Redfire

I added the supplier info to the bottom of my post.
Old 12/11/04, 05:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Nice Job, it looks excellent !
Old 12/11/04, 05:49 PM

Great work, it must give it a real cool 'rally' look at night!
Old 12/12/04, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just beamed the lamps. Had to raise the top portion of the lamps to get proper beaming. I may do some further adjustments to the buckets as time goes on.

The 80 watt low beam portion of the H-4 lamps projects slightly further then the stock low beams. They are very low & cut off to the right so as not to offend on coming traffic. Work very nice with the stock low beams. Should be great in the fog.

The H-4 High beams are awesome. Project wide & long. Lights up everything in your path. Should be good for the top speed of the Stang.
Old 12/29/04, 07:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

pic 2
Old 12/29/04, 07:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

pic 3
Old 12/29/04, 07:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

pic 4
Old 12/29/04, 07:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

pic 5
Old 12/29/04, 07:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

pic 6
Old 12/29/04, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

hmmmm, interesting. It's pretty foggy in Cali and I actually put the fog lights to use...they work great. But at least there is another option out there
Old 12/29/04, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by DozerzPony@December 29, 2004, 11:30 AM
hmmmm, interesting. It's pretty foggy in Cali and I actually put the fog lights to use...they work great. But at least there is another option out there
well, "fog" lights are just that... they're supposed to be low intensity yellow light that lies low on the car (not in the grill) so that it can illuminate the road under the fog.... So, for all intents and purposes, they are what Pony Express was talkin' about.... not very functional driving lights.... more for cosmetics.

cool way to make them functional.... if he did the whole deal in about $100, it not bad at all.... considering just a set of 2 lights from PIAA can run you a few hundred bucks.... and those are "universal".... they get more expensive if they're specific to one make and model.
Old 12/29/04, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by DozerzPony@December 29, 2004, 11:30 AM
Next time your out at night find a dark back road & just put on the fogs. They have a pretty short wide pattern right in front of the car. Not real useful except for DTDL.

Now just put on your low beams & see how far they project. My conversion on the fog side will project as far as the stock lows with a very sharp cutoff & off to the right. Much better for foggy conditions. The high beams are great.

I think you can get H-4 bulbs in yellow if you want. Some people like yellow, most prefer white. Seems all the world rally guys use white for all applications.
Old 12/29/04, 11:54 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice mod, however where I live out in the country there is a lot of foggy mornings and so far the fog lights on the car have done a great job for me.
Old 12/29/04, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@December 29, 2004, 12:57 PM
Nice mod, however where I live out in the country there is a lot of foggy mornings and so far the fog lights on the car have done a great job for me.
Thanks

My real goal of this mod was to have 4 high beams. The output of the 4 lamp system is amazing. Besides night time benefits, it also helps alert other vehicles during the day. When I flash you see me.

Quick Reply: Fog Lamp Conversion To Driving Lights