05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Finally got Saleen HIDs installed

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/06, 11:42 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

Finally got my Saleen HID's this weekend and installed them yesterday afternoon.

First off, many thanks to Kevin (05stangkc) for sourcing the headlights for me (and my locking gas cap!) - as always, he worked hard to make sure Saleen stayed on time, and even got them to honor the lowered price mid-order. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Anyways, this is something I've wanted to do since I first saw these parts - my last car had HID's and I definately miss them on the Mustang. The install took me about 2.5 hours total, going fairly slow, but with an extra set of hands to help.

Here's the before:

Here's the after:

I'm WAY more impressed with these now that they're installed then I ever thought I'd be. The light output is amazing, and they look FANTASTIC. I've already tried sourcing the 9145ST fog light bulbs, but they are very hard to find up in Canada...I've left the bumper unsecured until I can find them, as I won't be driving it until the spring.

Here's my tips on installation (I'll finalize this when I get home and find my notes):

1) I did NOT take my wheels off, or jack the car up - didn't find it necessary at all, and the car is lowered. just be patient and the fender liners will come out just fine.
2) For the nuts on the underside of the bumper, 5.5mm socket is hard to find but 7/32" will also work
3) The instructions are a bit weird in their sequence of events. You think you're taking out the fender liners in Step 1, but you're "loosening" them, and the removal step comes later on. Don't be surprised if you're saying to yourself "WTH I already took them out at the beginning?!". The same thing happens with the engine shroud - one would assume you'd want to take it off before you loosen the bumper
4) Installing the ballasts is a bit trickier then you'd think - I ended up only using one bolt on the driver's side, and two on the passenger's side. I also used some cushioned double-sided sticky tape to help secure the driver's side down. Also, not losing one of the .75" spacers is ideal...:|
5) When securing the relays and fuses, I didn't drill any extra holes - I just secured the fuses with existing bolts next to the fuse box, and ziptied the relays into a secure place
6) The instructions say that the extra plug on the new harness is on the drivers side and should be plugged into the driver's side stock plug - the extra plug actually came out on the passenger's side for me, so I used the passenger's side plug and capped off the driver's side one (with electrical tape). It shouldn't make a difference which one is used, and the lights work fine so I'm sure it's all good.

For more pics, and full size, click here.

Here's another gratuitous HID shot. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

GOOOOOO Saleen!
Old 2/13/06, 11:48 AM

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 01:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

I love my Saleen HID's too. Took a while for me to get them but worth every dollar! All $899 of them!
Old 2/13/06, 02:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like there is some electrical wizardry going on when one installs these lights. Do you feel that these things will hold up over time and exposure to the elements? I've been thinking about this but the over all longevity has me wondering? Any inputs on that? And how hard was the bumper to take off?
Old 2/13/06, 04:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2L8IWON @ February 13, 2006, 4:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It sounds like there is some electrical wizardry going on when one installs these lights. Do you feel that these things will hold up over time and exposure to the elements? I've been thinking about this but the over all longevity has me wondering? Any inputs on that? And how hard was the bumper to take off?
[/b][/quote]

Krissy,

Those look great! I love the stance of your car as well. I'm looking forward to what you do next! Are you going to be able to make it to the TMS meet in September? I know it is a very long drive but it would be a fun one with a Mustang.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

what kind of fog lights are you trying to get? are they HID's themselves? That looks great man!
Old 2/13/06, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

They look great.
Old 2/13/06, 06:28 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2L8IWON @ February 13, 2006, 4:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Actually with this kit, there is very very little "electrical wizardry" at all. The only thing you have to do is unscrew the screw in the fuse box to add the positive lead loop, unscrew the prop rod screw to add the negative lead loop, and the rest is just using the wires/plugs they provide to plug into the stock plugs. NO CUTTING, NO SOLDERING. it would be no different then questioning whether the stock headlight plugs will wear with exposure. the ballasts that you mount inside the bumper/fender are made for the elements, so they are fine too. all the plugs have 'shrouding' around them to make a good seal. in terms of longevity, i think it was 3000 hours on the ballast or so...I might be wrong but these are made by Sylvania/OSRAM which is OEM for many companies, including Audi - my old A4 had Xenons which I ran everyday and they lasted for the 5.5 years I had the car, and beyond...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MilStang @ February 13, 2006, 6:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Krissy,

Those look great! I love the stance of your car as well. I'm looking forward to what you do next! Are you going to be able to make it to the TMS meet in September? I know it is a very long drive but it would be a fun one with a Mustang.
[/b][/quote]

Hey thanks for the compliments! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] Not sure what I'll do next - it's all about the money. The short list is either proper shocks for my suspension, axleback exhaust and then perhaps a plenum cover, strut tower brace, ducktail and 1/4 louvers.

I need a sugar daddy! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 06:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those look great! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Waste of money for me because I never drive my car at night.
Old 2/13/06, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

Looks fantastic and I want a pair, but 899 for lights, I don't think I could do it.
Old 2/13/06, 08:24 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lokius @ February 13, 2006, 7:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
what kind of fog lights are you trying to get? are they HID's themselves? That looks great man!
[/b][/quote]

true xenons for the fog lights is too much IMHO. you'd need the bulbs and ballasts and they would reflect all over the place because the housings aren't made for them, like the Saleen ones are. You'd probably get in some trouble from cops and you'd really **** other drivers off. there'd be no proper cut off line and it would be way too bright. Plus it'd be another $500+ for all that and...well that's just ludicrous, even for me. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

I just want "xenon look" bulbs so that they match the headlights - instead of it being white/blue and then yellowish fogs. you can get them cheap at the ricer stores, or up here at Canadian Tire etc. the "top of the line" ones are the Sylvania Silverstars (9145ST) but up here they require special order and I'd need to buy a pack of three - at $50 per, that's too much. Ebay is the easiest place to find them - I just bought a pair for $10 so I'll post my findings once I receive and install them.

Kris
Old 2/13/06, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

ok thanks, i was thinking of just having the fog lights replaced with super hyper yellow fog lights or doing something similar with silvestars. I will wait and see how it works out for you!
Old 2/14/06, 10:16 AM
V6 Member

Awsome Lights, deffinately on my to buy list.
I am spending my money on perfomance mods now, so after I am done with that, this will be my other purchase.

Cheers,

Mino
Old 2/14/06, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

looks fantastic!! I cant wait until I get mine!

pic request:

can u snap a shot with the garage lights off and maybe about 50ft away?
Old 2/14/06, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

i like these. only nitpick i have is you can see the reflector piece inside the lamp
Old 2/14/06, 04:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rondosa @ February 13, 2006, 8:31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey thanks for the compliments! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] Not sure what I'll do next - it's all about the money. The short list is either proper shocks for my suspension, axleback exhaust and then perhaps a plenum cover, strut tower brace, ducktail and 1/4 louvers.

I need a sugar daddy! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I would probably be inclined to get the proper shocks just to make the long term ride better. Then work on the performance and additional exterior items in no particular order.

As far as the sugar daddy part; I don't think my wife would care if I took that job. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Plus I have to catch up to all of you once I get my car. You are all killing me with all the mods that you are doing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

I agree with SyNRG, can you get one with just the lights on or at the very least pulled out of the garage to see the full impact of the lights? That and maybe a picture of your car during the day from the rear and side. I really like the stance on it. Did you use Eibach springs?

...and thanks for any more pictures of the car that you can give us.

Old 2/14/06, 05:28 PM
V6 Member

looks absolutely fantastic!

What I don't understand is why Ford doesn't have sense enough to offer them oem in the first place!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
They can be so goofy up there in Detroit! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
Old 2/14/06, 05:52 PM

Hey Guys - thanks for all the compliments on the car - it's killing me not driving it over the winter, but I guess it helps to keep that "new relationship bliss" for longer [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img]

I took some pictures of the car with the lights on and as far away as I could get without trespassing on the neighbours lawn (about 30 paces) and all the lights off. I haven't gone through the process of aiming the lights to make sure they are even so I think that accounts for some of the glare on one side over another. They look really great in person - actually very white looking.

Another

Attached some shots of the car from this past summer to show the stance - yes, Eibach Pro-Kits. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Old 2/14/06, 05:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Very nice! I love the tan1sm picture; beautiful area you live in there.

Good choice on the spoiler delete also!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
Old 2/14/06, 05:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh my God! A Mary Kay Mustang~ [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Finally got Saleen HIDs installed