05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Fender Emblems for My V6...

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/05, 05:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey all. I ordered a set of 4.0 emblems for my new V6 (they are in the style of the old 5.0 emblems on the Fox Bodies) and I am wondering if anyone can give me any tips on installing these things. They come with 3M two sided tape, so assume they just stick on the front fenders, but is there anyting I should do before I put them on to make sure they don't damage the paint? Also, anyone have any tips about how to make sure I get thm in the right spot? I figure I'll try to put them where the GT emblem is on the GTs, but seeing as there is nothing on the V6 to guide by, I am worried about getting them in the right spot.

[attachmentid=11585]
Old 2/9/05, 06:36 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Badge Installation

This topic helped me with installation and I used the double stick tape and it seems to be holding up well.
Old 2/9/05, 06:43 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
DUDE!!!!!! that is sick!!! im lovin it

thats a great idea. man, i hafta remember to get one (cuz in all likelihood, if i get an 05 it will be a V6 for $$ reasons)
Old 2/9/05, 09:18 PM
FR500 Member

That 3M tape is really strong stuff, but it won't hurt your paint. In my opinion... don't try and measure where you want your emblems. Use a temporary tape and put one one and step away and look at it. Walk around and look at it from different angles, and keep moving it until you get it in the right spot. Then, once you have one in just the right place, then measure to get the opposite one in the same spot on the other side of the car. That's what I did for mine. I installed some running pony emblems off a '65/'66 Mustang on my GT. Of course, I was a bit limited because I had to cover the existing holes from the "GT" badge that came stock. But I would deinitely go by your eye. Same goes with getting it level. Don't try and measure it because the car has a natural rake, or slant... use your eye.
Old 2/9/05, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I haven't installed mine yet, I did use scotch tape to see what it would look like
Old 2/9/05, 10:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by acadian@February 9, 2005, 10:21 PM
That 3M tape is really strong stuff, but it won't hurt your paint. In my opinion... don't try and measure where you want your emblems. Use a temporary tape and put one one and step away and look at it. Walk around and look at it from different angles, and keep moving it until you get it in the right spot. Then, once you have one in just the right place, then measure to get the opposite one in the same spot on the other side of the car. That's what I did for mine. I installed some running pony emblems off a '65/'66 Mustang on my GT. Of course, I was a bit limited because I had to cover the existing holes from the "GT" badge that came stock. But I would deinitely go by your eye. Same goes with getting it level. Don't try and measure it because the car has a natural rake, or slant... use your eye.
Exactly what I'm doing Acadian, stripe and all. And no guessing as to where they go. NICE TOUCH, looks great!! Just a quick question....were your pony's self stick reproductions or reproductions that you modified to self stick......or did you get lucky and find some real ones? Let me know if you get a minute.

Thanks, Mark.
Old 2/9/05, 11:14 PM
FR500 Member

They are real reproductions... they look and feel like the real thing. Real heavy and great quality. They had two little "posts' on the back with the little metal clamps that you put into the drilled holes in the car and when you insert the posts of the emblem in, they lock in (just like the original emblems from the '65 and '66 Mustangs. So, I actually did not use tape on mine.

And Travis... IMO that is a little too low. Of course, get some other opinions, but I think where you put the emblem temporarily in that picture is a bit too low. I'd bring it up at least another couple inches... get it closer to the same level as the horse on the grill. If you look at the '65 and '66 V-6 Mustangs, the running pony is very low... lower than what you have there. And that looks great on that car, but if you look at the late 90's V-6 Mustangs, the horse emblem is much higher and it fits that body style better. For some reason, I think the horse looks better higher on the '05 body style. Hopefully, others will chime in and give their opinions... I could be the minority.
Old 2/9/05, 11:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Acadian...one more question though....are you saying that the posts from the original emblems fit the GT holes exactly?? That's a real coincidence if they did......or did Ford plan it that way. Hmmmm? Anyways, how do those barrel nuts work anyways. Do they go on the pins first and then you push through and do they go on from behind somehow after you've positioned the emblems. Finally, if they're a factory type fit, which ones did you get (Scott Drakes??), part # if you have it - and supplier??

Thanks alot, much appreciated. Mark.
Old 2/10/05, 12:09 PM
FR500 Member

No, unfortunately I had to drill two new holes for the new emblems, but it's all being covered anyway. The clamps go into the drilled holes first. They are held in because the metal on them wraps around at a 90 degree angle to hold them in the holes. Once they are in, you just push the emblem in them and it locks it in. The clamps have sharp edges inside that grab onto the posts on the emblems. Easy to push in, but very hard to get out. In the future though, if I need to get them out... you just take off the inner wheel well plastic and you have access to the backside of the fender.

This is the site I got them from... http://www.qualitymustangparts.com/classic4.html

They have a lot of reproduction emblems.
Old 2/10/05, 03:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the badges came in today and are on the car. Thanks for your help everyone who replied. Pics are below.

[attachmentid=11678]
[attachmentid=11679]
[attachmentid=11680]
[attachmentid=11681]
This last one looks a little crooked, but it is only because I am a poor photographer and can't hold the camera straight.
Old 2/10/05, 03:40 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I think they look great.
Old 2/10/05, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Acadian......thanks for the info.

Mark.
Old 2/10/05, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by travste@February 9, 2005, 10:43 PM
I haven't installed mine yet, I did use scotch tape to see what it would look like

OMG!!! The postion that you took these pics are awsome. The front end look is to die for. This position gives the front a whole different look.
Going to save this one!!!