05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

DRL Question

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/09, 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DRL Question

hey all,
Ive recently installed the VVME HID kit, as some of you know (thanks to the guys who helped me troubleshoot the kit). I have DRLs and havent had any issues with flickering or what have you, however I was wondering if there was a way to deactivate them. The service guys didnt have a clue, and for whatever reason my headlights only turn off when I flip up my e-brake. Its not a big deal, my car has had the DRLs going on for about three years now, but ive always been curious as to how they might be deactivated, since I cant seem to find any fuses or additional wiring. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10/4/09, 11:21 PM
Bullitt Member

bump?
Old 10/5/09, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

why cant i get a response in either of my threads? did i attain black sheep status without anyone telling me?
Old 10/5/09, 08:10 PM
Dez
GT Member

Originally Posted by kingofsting
why cant i get a response in either of my threads? did i attain black sheep status without anyone telling me?
or maybe nobody knows a answer? how about asking whoever installed them?
Old 10/5/09, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Day time running lights (DRL) is a feature that is mainly for cars made for use outside of the USA (canada). From what I understand, they come that way from Ford. If yours came that way from the Dealer...then you can take it back to them and they should be able to disable that feature....It has to do with something in the SJB. (Smart Junction Box)
Old 10/10/09, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is something I have asked for a long time and to this date I have not heard from one person that has done this. Everything I have heard had pointed to the dealership having to plug into the computer and switch them off. My dealer won't do it because it would make the car illegal here in Canada (I don't care).
Old 10/10/09, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

I know two people who had their SJB replaced by the dealer and then they had DRL after the replacement. Both took the car back to the dealer and they deactivated the feature.

Edit: From the horses mouth (See attachments)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DRL0.pdf (25.6 KB, 307 views)
File Type: pdf
DRL.pdf (29.1 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by Deric; 10/10/09 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10/13/09, 04:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I would look for a fuse that is for the DRL's. My buddy had his g8 converted to HID, and after that he removed the fuse that coresponds to DRL. The car does not throw codes, or complain. Although thats a gm vehicle..... I would look at your owners manual for the DRL fuse or at least look at the fuse box labels.

The other alternative I have heard of is using a capacitor to smoth out the signal so it does not flicker. I sure hope you are using a wiring harness and not pluging your ballast directly to the oem socket. The cap would be wired paralel with the voltage source for the relay in the harness. I dont know the value of the cap however.
Old 10/13/09, 05:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
to the op.. I think very few of us have DRL's in our cars thats why you are getting little answers..
Old 10/14/09, 06:37 PM
Cobra Member

There's no DRL fuse that I could find when going through the service manual. According to what I could find it uses the same circuit as your low beams. The only option is to have a dealer turn them off.

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
I would look for a fuse that is for the DRL's. My buddy had his g8 converted to HID, and after that he removed the fuse that coresponds to DRL. The car does not throw codes, or complain. Although thats a gm vehicle..... I would look at your owners manual for the DRL fuse or at least look at the fuse box labels.

The other alternative I have heard of is using a capacitor to smoth out the signal so it does not flicker. I sure hope you are using a wiring harness and not pluging your ballast directly to the oem socket. The cap would be wired paralel with the voltage source for the relay in the harness. I dont know the value of the cap however.
Old 10/15/09, 01:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Deric
There's no DRL fuse that I could find when going through the service manual. According to what I could find it uses the same circuit as your low beams. The only option is to have a dealer turn them off.
He has a canadian spec car, it was worth a shot. I figured the manual could be different.