05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Drivers side bumper cut out question

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/06, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read the posts on cutting the drivers side.

1. Use a template
2. flip it over
3. use masking tape
4. mark the cut out
5. use a box cutter 1/4" in from the line
6. dremmel out the the opening
7. use touch up paint to cover the cut plastic? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

Here is the question, my exhaust hanger said he does not feel comfortable cutting the plastic, so it is up to me. He is going to hang the muffler below the bumper so that I can line up the area that needs to be cut, then raise the muffler into place (not sure how he is going to do this or if it will work?) Is there a better way to line up the muffler tip so that I can cut the bumper prior? Should I wait till it is mounted, is there a better way to cut the hole? Does anyone have the template that they can email to me so I don't have to drop the drivers side exhaust? Any and all help would be great the car goes to the shop on wed morning.

Thanks
Old 2/13/06, 11:27 PM
GT Member

They guy who did my exhaust did it for me but he just measured the distance from the end to the passenger side cut and then the same with the drivers side to see where to cut the new one.
Old 2/14/06, 12:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are my cut-out instructions:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...80&#entry628380
I really recommend that you cut your bumper out first, then install you exhaust. You do not need to remove your stock exhaust pipe to get the cut pattern. Just use heavy stock paper (not cardboard) as my instructions state. You will start by cutting out enough room for the heavy-stock paper to clear over the stock exhaust pipe, then you will refine this cut-out to get it perfectly matching the stock hoop shape. Only then will you flip & transfer over to the driver's side.
Do not put the cart before the horse.
Old 2/14/06, 12:38 AM
Bullitt Member

If the new muffler goes on before you cut, it wouldn't be a problem to move the muffler up into the new position after you cut the bumper. I wasn't happy with how my left muffler sat after it went on with my GT bumper. The next day, my mechanic just heated up around the weld and bent it slightly to center up in the exhaust hole. Just a thought!
Old 2/14/06, 07:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I would add a step to sand the raw edge some after the dremel. I used 80 grit. MAKE SURE YOU MASK THE FACE OF THE BUMPER 1ST to protect the paint. Then use the touch up paint.
Old 2/14/06, 08:53 AM
GT Member

I had my duals put on and the process was this... To be on the safe side of the pipes not lining up perfectly where I would have already cut the bumper - I had them place the exhaust just below the bumper to see where it lined up. Luckily there was a body shop next door and the guy came by with his air powered cutting tool and we marked the exact opening where it looked just right and then he cut it for me. It only took about 10 minutes (not rushing it...) and it looks great.

Bottomline - either way works BUT most importantly - measure up everything atleast twice before cutting and stand back and look at it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]