05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Custom Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/06, 04:00 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Headlight

I just finished the "trial" headlight on my '05 (I did one first to make sure I wasn't going to wreck both lights!) Anyways I'll show the finished project now....and if anyone is interested in the process I'll post pictures while I'm doing the passenger side light.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Headlight-hdlt2.jpg   Custom Headlight-hdlt1.jpg  
Old 8/2/06, 04:22 PM
GT Member

Looks good.

Was there a second cover protecting the bulb? Or did you get a custom one?
Old 8/2/06, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks great. I always hated the black so I had my buckets painted but would rather have the glass cover off. Interested in what type of bulb you used. Pics and keep us posted.
Old 8/2/06, 06:26 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I think I like it better than painting and leaving the cover on. Not sure why. Would probably look at lot different comparing them in person.

I assume you used the Jag headlight??
How hard was it to get the stock cover off?

Dale, No there's not another cover in there.
Old 8/2/06, 07:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by silverGTvert
Looks great. I always hated the black so I had my buckets painted but would rather have the glass cover off. Interested in what type of bulb you used. Pics and keep us posted.
Ditto!
Old 8/2/06, 08:04 PM
GT Member

Me too! Want to know how you 86ed the cover.
Old 8/2/06, 08:18 PM
GT Member

I'll keep you posted when I do the other side (probably start on that this weekend) actually really simple....just took some planning and guts. I took the stock lens and measured "twice" and cut the size out and glued it to the back of the bucket (the part with the gills in it) then I made backing plates for the gills out of metal and glued them into place.....and lastly I set the assembly together and glued everything together (to seal the headlight again) and did body work and paint I own a body shop....so I have access to the structural glue needed (it's not the average glue or silicone) It's mainly used for fixing and bonding plastic body panels on cars (so it will be plenty strong to hold the lens in) But like I said I'll try and take pictures of the progress on the next one. Thanks for the compliments
Old 8/3/06, 01:34 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude - that looks 100 times better than I thought doing something like this might - nice!!!!!!!
Old 8/3/06, 03:08 PM

Is this going to be something that a DIY'er is going to be able to do?
Old 8/3/06, 03:55 PM
GT Member

That would depend on your skills. But I wouldn't say it was an easy mod to do. First off, the tools and materials needed aren't readily available to everyone (as stated above) the glues and adhesives are from the auto body trade. Secondly the body work needed to get the part finished and painted isn't cakework. The gap around the inner bucket (with the gills) and the headlight housing is roughly a 1/4".....I had to glue and fill the gap and then blend that edge into the inner bucket, to appear as one piece. Then prep and paint the part. But when I get around to doing the passenger side, I'll do more of a "step by step" photo shoot for everyone interested.
Old 8/3/06, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

That looks absolutely awesome. There's a local guy heer on LI that did something similar, but instead of gluing the plastic cover to the part with the gills, he glued it to the light bucket itself. Then he glued everything back together and installed it.

To remove the plastic cover, he wound up cutting it along the seam with a dremmel cutting tool.

He uses the car as a daily driver and so far has not had any problems with condensation, warping or overheating of the lamp a year after he completed the mod.

I'm anxious to see your how to. I'm fairly handy and this is one mod I've been very interested in doing. I tried it last year and completely melted the light buckets trying to remove the plastic covers.
Old 8/4/06, 06:15 AM
GT Member

odiaz:

I also debated gluing the lens directly to the light reflector, but didn't for two reasons.....it's a bit closer to the bulb (I was worried about heat a bit....but the fog lights are built similar to that....a reflector with the plastic lens directly over it...so I didn't think it would be a major problem) and the second and main reason I glued it to the inner bucket (with gills) is if you all look closely at your headlight assembly....you'll see there is about a 3/8" or greater gap between the light reflector and the inner bucket. I thought it would look more "finished" and "factory" looking if the lens were tight to the bucket. And this also helps for road debris and water from getting in the gap that would have been left.
Old 8/4/06, 07:15 AM
GT Member

Niiiice

Looks great!

I would love to see a straight on pic to see the 'face' of the Mustang
once you complete the passenger side.
Old 8/4/06, 12:00 PM

I would so do that if i didnt already have a black mustang! painting mne would serve no pusrpose. but thast the coolest thing ive ever seen anyone do to there mustang! good work!
Old 8/4/06, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by paint-boy
...the second and main reason I glued it to the inner bucket (with gills) is if you all look closely at your headlight assembly....you'll see there is about a 3/8" or greater gap between the light reflector and the inner bucket. I thought it would look more "finished" and "factory" looking if the lens were tight to the bucket. And this also helps for road debris and water from getting in the gap that would have been left.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. After I totally screwed up my set of headlihts by melting them in the oven, I decided to go further and see what would be involved in completing the job. I tried to glue the covers to the inner bucket. It was really difficult to get the cover to stick to the bucket straight. Also, the shape of the bucket has curves that left gaps that needed to be sealed.

The other problem was sealing the gills themselves. I cut plexiglass in the same shape as the gills but slightly larger and then glued these to the inner bucket also. Unfortunately, this left even larger gaps. I tried sealing the gaps with clear silicone but this did not look good. finally I just gave up and hoped someone with more talent would come up with either a better idea or an aftermarket solution.

I am eagerly looking forward to your write up Thanks for tackiling this for us. Judging from the paint job on your car, you definitely have the skill and talent to pull this off.
Old 8/25/06, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Paint-boy, any progress with the write up on the headlight mod you did? I am very curious to see how you did it. I love the way it looks. You're paint job is awesome. I followed your thread last year as you were doing it. I was very well documented.

Could you post more pictures of the light buckets; some close ups perhaps?

Thanks
Old 8/25/06, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

looks good man!
Old 8/26/06, 12:38 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Ive been thinking about attempting the same thing but havent worked up the nerve yet. I await more pics and a detailed write up, looks killer. How big is the opening where the headlamp sits?
Old 8/26/06, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Heres some pics of buckets painted with the plastic back on.
Attached Images   
Old 8/26/06, 09:16 PM
V6 Member

Jackpot!

Finally a thread that talks about what I was wanting to do for the longest time!

Almost forgot....would anyone (paintboy or silverGTvert) here be willing to undertake a long-distance customization project? Based on what paintboy and odiaz have said, this is not going to be the easiest mod in the world, especially if you don't have access to a body shop, which I don't....and exceptional automotive bodywork skill, which I don't either. I'd be willing myself to sink some major dollars into this to make it worth the while, since this modification is my holy grail.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Custom Headlight