05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Changing tail lights' bulbs layout

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/16, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing tail lights' bulbs layout

Hello everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a 2006 Mustang GT; I bought it while I was working in the US, and when I had to go back in France I just had to bring it home with me.
Now I have to change a few things in order to be able to buy a French title and license plates, so I can drive it legally here.

Among other things, I have to change how the tail lights work. Here is the difference with the US:
- turn signals must be orange,
- there must be at least one fog light,
- the reversing light is optional.

So I have to change from this:

to this:

It is possible to buy adapted tail lights, but as you see they are really ugly, and I have to change the wiring harness to use them anyway.

What I have in mind:
1/ unplug the four stop/turn back feed wires on the SJB
2/ replace them with a resistor so the SJB believe the bulbs are still on the wires
3/ use pins 17 and 48 from the SJB C2280b to control turns relay
4/ use the 3rd brake light to control the brake relay
5/ add a switch (must be with an orange light) to control the fog light relay (with the pin 51 from C2280d so I can't power it without low beam)

The relays will be in the trunk, with a wire coming from the battery to power the lights. Here is a schematic:

What do you think about it?
In regard to item 3/, I'm wondering if I can use the front turns feed (i.e. pins 41 and 46 from C2280d) instead of relays: will it burn my SJB because of the power drain?
Also I don't know what kind of resistors I should use for item 2/, as you can see the one provided with the European tail lights is pretty big:

Also I would like everything to be removable, but I'm not sure if it's possible with all those special connectors...

Thanks for your help
Old 6/16/17, 09:49 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pls ask Pawel, he modifies your turnlights as you want
info (at) hd-customs.pl
Old 7/22/22, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shepard
Hello everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a 2006 Mustang GT; I bought it while I was working in the US, and when I had to go back in France I just had to bring it home with me.
Now I have to change a few things in order to be able to buy a French title and license plates, so I can drive it legally here.

Among other things, I have to change how the tail lights work. Here is the difference with the US:
- turn signals must be orange,
- there must be at least one fog light,
- the reversing light is optional.

So I have to change from this:

to this:

It is possible to buy adapted tail lights, but as you see they are really ugly, and I have to change the wiring harness to use them anyway.

What I have in mind:
1/ unplug the four stop/turn back feed wires on the SJB
2/ replace them with a resistor so the SJB believe the bulbs are still on the wires
3/ use pins 17 and 48 from the SJB C2280b to control turns relay
4/ use the 3rd brake light to control the brake relay
5/ add a switch (must be with an orange light) to control the fog light relay (with the pin 51 from C2280d so I can't power it without low beam)

The relays will be in the trunk, with a wire coming from the battery to power the lights. Here is a schematic:

What do you think about it?
In regard to item 3/, I'm wondering if I can use the front turns feed (i.e. pins 41 and 46 from C2280d) instead of relays: will it burn my SJB because of the power drain?
Also I don't know what kind of resistors I should use for item 2/, as you can see the one provided with the European tail lights is pretty big:

Also I would like everything to be removable, but I'm not sure if it's possible with all those special connectors...

Thanks for your help
I just imported mine from the US back to Australia and need to mod the tailights to split the brake,turn. what did you end up doing here?

Cheers
Ando