05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Changing the GT Rockers for V6/Shelby Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/07, 09:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing the GT Rockers for V6/Shelby Rockers

I got a pair of 'like-new' (less than 500 miles on the car they came off of) V6 (the same as the Shelby I'm told) Rocker Panels bought off eBay and they should be arriving later this week (hopefully). I wanted to 'thin' the profile of the car and want to save my original Grabber Orange Rockers for reinstallation down the road if I change my mind or if the next owner wants to go back.

I'll take some pics and do a brief write-up on the swap when it goes down but it's a pretty straight-forward deal.

The car goes to the body shop on July 2 for striping and painting. I can't wait!!!
Old 6/12/07, 10:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Putting the Mustang on a diet? Lol
Old 6/12/07, 10:10 PM
GT Member

Just did the same thing two days ago. It will take you longer to take pics and write up than to actually do the swap. Hardest part is getting the pins out of the original rocker without loosing some skin off your knuckles.
Old 6/12/07, 10:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by NBAworm
Just did the same thing two days ago. It will take you longer to take pics and write up than to actually do the swap. Hardest part is getting the pins out of the original rocker without loosing some skin off your knuckles.
I'm sure you're right!

Did you use one of those special 'trim removal' tools or just go for it? Did you break any/many clips?
Old 6/13/07, 08:45 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
you cant get a tool on the upper clips- mine mostly pulled free, but a couple got hung up- I used a tiny screwdriver, taped the shaft so not to scratch, reached in and pushed one ear of the clip in to get it to pop.

plan on buying new lower 'christmas tree' plugs- mine were pretty much destroyed by pulling them out- all the little barbs bend back and crack...be sure to put a blanket or something under the car unless you have a lift- I had mine up about 2 feet, yet still every time a bottom plug popped free, I punched the floor...ouch, ouch, OUCH after banging the concrete a few times, put a folded blanket under there...ahhh. they take a fair bit of force to remove.

the upper ones just shove fore/aft while pulling outward, they should pop easily for the most part...I also put ducttape between the rocker and cover so I wouldnt scuff the paint while scooting it around- a long piece of tape on the first end you start on(I started in front, dunno if advantage one way or the other)and wrap up around the fender or such to allow it to swing out as your pulling it, but not fall to the floor once the last clips release. try not to lose the upper clips- when I got the other rockers, there were no clips, and at that time ford didnt have a part number for them...they only came with the rocker cover I guess?
Old 6/13/07, 10:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by ford4v429
you cant get a tool on the upper clips- mine mostly pulled free, but a couple got hung up- I used a tiny screwdriver, taped the shaft so not to scratch, reached in and pushed one ear of the clip in to get it to pop.

plan on buying new lower 'christmas tree' plugs- mine were pretty much destroyed by pulling them out- all the little barbs bend back and crack...be sure to put a blanket or something under the car unless you have a lift- I had mine up about 2 feet, yet still every time a bottom plug popped free, I punched the floor...ouch, ouch, OUCH after banging the concrete a few times, put a folded blanket under there...ahhh. they take a fair bit of force to remove.

the upper ones just shove fore/aft while pulling outward, they should pop easily for the most part...I also put ducttape between the rocker and cover so I wouldnt scuff the paint while scooting it around- a long piece of tape on the first end you start on(I started in front, dunno if advantage one way or the other)and wrap up around the fender or such to allow it to swing out as your pulling it, but not fall to the floor once the last clips release. try not to lose the upper clips- when I got the other rockers, there were no clips, and at that time ford didnt have a part number for them...they only came with the rocker cover I guess?
Excellent pointers! Thank you very much and I'll definitely keep all this in mind.