05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Cervinis GT500 splitter installed!

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/07, 10:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cervinis GT500 splitter installed!

Well, it was a bit of a roller coaster with this thing. I loved the shape of it with the side spats to fatten up th lower bumper a bit so I ordered it over the Legend splitter figuring it would be a little more work....Well, it took a TON of work to get it ready for paint just with the basic prep. It is an injection molding with resin as opposed to abs with no glass cloth used.

It came in packaged fine, but there was a lot of rough edges, parting lines and a couple other issues right off the bat. I have a lot of experience with fine resin models, so this was somewhat easy with a big heavy-handed piece for a car. It did take some fine trimming of flash, and a couple areas in the mounting groove had two mold parting lines that took some fine tuning with a dremel to make sure it sits flat. This is actually quite fine work and could easily gouge the finished edge if you're not careful. The word crude sums it up pretty well. If they had done this in ABS with a bit more refined mold life would of been much better. Resin as a solid fill product is always tempermental.

Well I did the rather extensive prep after cutting down the rough edges with prep cleaner several times, Ajax and 3M scotchbrite, etc. I took it to a buddy to have it primed(it should be heavily primed according to Cervinis) as it is very soft material and can get etched just from the scotchbrite. Even after priming everything looked pretty smooth. I decided on gloss black and he shot two coats and clear and all of a sudden there were a ton of defects you could see, like crater/pockmarks-not pin holes, just 'dents' all over the thing. Not to mention glass texture which is strange for this piece, probably in the mold itself. I was going to just throw it away and figured I would give the spray can bedliner paint a shot(once I start to get disappointed with something like this I feel I will never be happy and just want to junk it).

Well after a couple thin coats of that stuff-WOW it looked like a million bucks! Probably better for day to day to have it textured and not so shiny anyway, and you can touch it up easily on the car-its very forgiving stuff as long as you are careful. Fit is decent and it is really on there with the screws installed as directed. I also liked it because if I HAD to get it on an alignment rack I could take it off again without the hassle of tape. So all in all, a great looking product-if you are willing to put a lot of work into it. My painter could of gotten it 'right' by skimming the whole thing and doing a ton of work, but going the bedliner route made life easy. The attitude with me became-quick fix or trash can and order a legend one. Anyhew, here is a pic! With the alloy and gloss black grilles it kinda looks better with this finish anyway. More to come but I gotta wash her.

Old 7/12/07, 10:45 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
End result, gotta love it!
Old 7/12/07, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really does look great.
Old 7/12/07, 04:42 PM
Cobra Member

Looks good Kev. Basically like the stock GT500 piece only smoother.
Old 7/12/07, 04:54 PM
GT Member

Nice job...great look! I'm interested in those black moss grills. Were they easy to install? Are you happy with them? I like the clean look that you are going with. Less is more in this case. Classy!
Old 7/12/07, 06:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks guys!

After I put the CDC blackout panel, there will be no factory emblems left It will kinda mimic the grilles on the front. The Moss grilles are fantastic, especially for the money. Louie and myself both put them on roughly the same time. The upper easily replaces the stock grille and the lower simply covers the honeycomb. Gotta paint everything back there flat black though! Needs a spacer to sit as far out as it is in the pic. Thread on them here:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=67449

Kinda looks cool in person because the nose's 'point' goes from the hood to the splitter, hard to see in photos. I'll get much better pics up tomorrow with closeups of how that bedliner paint looks, and the three 'fins' that are under the center of the bumper. Although it drives me completely nuts, you just can NOT run around here without a front tag, even a smoked cover will be pushing my luck.
Old 7/13/07, 08:22 AM
GT Member

i wanted this one so bad! its breath taking. but i love my cdc classic with the outsides painted to match the car and textured in the middle.
Old 7/13/07, 12:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well I didn't get to wash it, but oh well. Its overcast today so you can see it much more clearly, particularly the little vanes underneath that are hard to get a photo of. Man I hate license plates... I added one pic of the 'real deal' thrown in for comparison. Should NEVER need another pic of this splitter after this, thats for sure... Although I wanted gloss black soo bad, the textured spray can stuff makes it do-it-yourself and a whole lot easier to fix if needed.

One other thing I noticed is that when viewed from the side, the spat/flare in the front of the rocker panel stands out way more now, and is a dead-ringer for matching the ends of the spoiler.