05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

CDC Ducktail installed

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/06, 06:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dcranford@January 23, 2006, 4:53 PM
Wait a minute......the street scene ducktail does NOT cover the spoliler holes?????

Ugh, I had made the decision to get that one rather than the CDC because it covered the holes I thought.

Whats the best way of getting your hands on a spoilerless decklid???

Parts department? Saleen Takeoffs???

Oh that has ruined my night.
You can always try to contact someone in your local area and try to swap decklids. I personally don't like the CDC brackets to cover up the holes. And no, the SSE doesn't cover up the holes nor the 3rd brake light.
Old 1/23/06, 06:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those hole fillers by CDC are a joke. They make really good products but whoever designed those pieces of poo must have been smoking hemp!
Old 1/23/06, 08:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by GRAYPNY@January 23, 2006, 8:45 PM
Those hole fillers by CDC are a joke. They make really good products but whoever designed those pieces of poo must have been smoking hemp!

Wasnt me!
Old 1/23/06, 08:41 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by triplecrown17@January 23, 2006, 7:37 PM
Nice pics, RD. I'm assuming those were taken on Mount Soledad? I can see the Mormon Temple in the background in the last pic. Do you live in the San Diego area? If it's possible, could I take a look at your car. I've been debating back and forth with myself if I should buy the CDC Ducktail, and I've come close, but it'd be awesome if I could see it in person. How bad was the installation? Just thinking about drilling holes in my car makes me cringe..
I thought those were taken in SD, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the confirmation.

Great pics, BTW, Patrick. Thanks for posting them. I never thought I'd say this, but they look so good I'm leaning back towards the CDC spoiler.
Old 1/23/06, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

The only ducktail that I know of that covers the spoiler holes is the one made by Cervinis.
Old 1/23/06, 09:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by triplecrown17@January 23, 2006, 6:37 PM
Nice pics, RD. I'm assuming those were taken on Mount Soledad? I can see the Mormon Temple in the background in the last pic. Do you live in the San Diego area? If it's possible, could I take a look at your car. I've been debating back and forth with myself if I should buy the CDC Ducktail, and I've come close, but it'd be awesome if I could see it in person. How bad was the installation? Just thinking about drilling holes in my car makes me cringe..
Yes, this is one of my favorite spots to take pics of my car. Every mod I do, I come here to take pics so I can do "before and after" comparisons and plus I gotta get the ocean view in living here in San Diego! And of course I would invite any local San Diegans to stop by and see my car. I couldn't make the decision until I saw the spoiler in person at the SD auto show in Dec. After I drilled the first hole it got a lot easier to knock out the remaining nine. Take your time, do not rush, measure, measure, measure.
Old 1/23/06, 09:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@January 23, 2006, 8:44 PM
I thought those were taken in SD, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the confirmation.
Great pics, BTW, Patrick. Thanks for posting them. I never thought I'd say this, but they look so good I'm leaning back towards the CDC spoiler.
Hey Stangnut thank you! What spoilers are you looking at and maybe I can offer you some insight. I've probably seen every spoiler now in person and can tell you the pros and cons of each one.

My ideal spoiler would be as tall as the SSE, but as smooth as the CDC from the rear.

The Mustang on the front cover of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords contributed to me making my choice.
Old 1/24/06, 07:51 AM
Cobra Member

That's one sharp looking car, looks VERY sporty
Old 1/24/06, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by RedDominion@January 23, 2006, 10:55 PM
Hey Stangnut thank you! What spoilers are you looking at and maybe I can offer you some insight. I've probably seen every spoiler now in person and can tell you the pros and cons of each one.

My ideal spoiler would be as tall as the SSE, but as smooth as the CDC from the rear.

The Mustang on the front cover of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords contributed to me making my choice.
RedDominion,
My ideal spoiler would be between the height of the CDC and SSE. The backside would have even less curve than the CDC does. (basically no curve, the way a real ducktail spoiler should be) The part where it meets the bumper would be as thin or thinner than the SSE. And it would have the brake light cut-out.

So basically, there's nothing out there for me, but like I said, yours looks so good it's got me thinking about it again. Would you mind taking some close up pics of where it meets the bumper? I want to make sure I can put up with how it looks.
Old 1/24/06, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by rony1976@January 24, 2006, 8:54 AM
That's one sharp looking car, looks VERY sporty
That Mustang always makes me think of a Mustang II.
Old 1/24/06, 04:40 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've mentioned this many month ago, but to solve the problem of integration of a ducktail where it meets the bumper seam, why not invent a clip/attachment that fits inside that seam? This would help secure it on the bottom sides of the ducktail.
Old 1/24/06, 07:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by AFBLUE@January 24, 2006, 4:43 PM
I've mentioned this many month ago, but to solve the problem of integration of a ducktail where it meets the bumper seam, why not invent a clip/attachment that fits inside that seam? This would help secure it on the bottom sides of the ducktail.
:scratch: How bout you contact CDC there partner...www.classicdesignconcepts.com
Old 1/24/06, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by AFBLUE@January 24, 2006, 5:43 PM
hmm. I THINK I understand what you're saying. More detail, please.
Sounds like a good idea.
Old 1/24/06, 08:56 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what I'm talking about. Curve the end back toward the seam, and narrow it so it would clip into place securely (as indicated in the second attached picture).

May not work in reality but, just a thought for better integration of existing ducktail designs.

OBTW Patrick: CDC is my favorite ducktail of all the ones I've seen so far. I think your car looks awesome. I was not attacking the look of your car.

Here is what I'm thinking about doing when I get a new stang (CDC ducktail and silverhorse honey comb panel with 71-72 style Mach 1 stripe).
Old 1/24/06, 10:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by AFBLUE@January 24, 2006, 8:59 PM
This what I'm talking about. Curve the end back toward the seam, and narrow it so it would clip into place securely (as indicated in the second attached picture).

May not work in reality but, just a thought for better integration of existing ducktail designs.

OBTW Patrick: CDC is my favorite ducktail of all the ones I've seen so far. I think your car looks awesome. I was not attacking the look of your car.

Here is what I'm thinking about doing when I get a new stang (CDC ducktail and silverhorse honey comb panel with 71-72 style Mach 1 stripe).
I understand your concern about the bottom of the spoiler, but it is secured by 2 bolts and 3M tape. I don't think your clip idea will work. Another idea, adding a 3rd bolt for the bottom won't work either because you can't access from the back of the trunk to reach the placement of this bolt. I'm looking at mine right now and trying to pull it off, and its snug and perfectly "secure" at the bottom. If you mean to say make the bottom edge more flush, I would say make it thinner at the bottom like the SSE slightly does. I do like the look of the blue stang with the stripe, looks retro.
Old 1/24/06, 11:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Who installed them thierselves with drilling holes? I dont have the guts to attempt myself. And if by a body shop, what did it run ya?
Old 1/24/06, 11:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm going with the Street Scene because I just can't bring myself to drill holes into a new car and I understand that the SS ducktail will install with just the tape. CDC looks good though. Does anyone think the CDC could be installed with just the tape?
Old 1/25/06, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

The only ducktail that I know of that covers the spoiler holes is the one made by Cervinis.
and 3D Carbon, and GEF Racing.....
Old 1/25/06, 09:00 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Angry Irishman@January 25, 2006, 12:27 AM
Does anyone think the CDC could be installed with just the tape?
I want to know the answer to this as well. Also, in 5 years if I get tired of the ducktail, can I just take it off since it was only taped? Or will the paint be ruined in that area?
Old 1/25/06, 10:05 AM

Either one can be installed with tape or with bolts, or both.

Quick Reply: CDC Ducktail installed