05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

The Car is at the painter! What to choose...

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/06, 01:03 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I dropped off my baby this morning at the painters. With high hopes I await my new stripes - I can't wait to see those knife marks disappear! (see my other stripe disaster thread if you want the background)
I watched the guys working on different cars and was really impressed with the quality and care each car gets. I have great confidence in this person's work!
After talking with the painter he wanted me to think about a few things, and I'd like your input on what I should do. To start with I am paying $2200 and he's to paint the stripes up one side and down the other, paint the mirrors, and put on the white G.T. 350 vinyl on the rockers.

1. He's painting the stripes on and pearling the white. He's going to clear and wet sand the bumper, hood, top, trunk, spoiler, etc. - all the panels that are being painted. He's going to feather the wet sand to match my clear that's on the sides - not wet sanding the sides of the car. Question: If I have him wet sand smooth (positively **ZERO** orange peel left on the whole car) it will cost some $600 more. He said it was up to me, but he wouldn't do it. He told me that if I think that the car looks dirty now, I ain't seen nothin' yet! Once he's done wet sanding the top of the car it's going to be so perfectly glassy smooth that you'll see dirt MUCH easier (he showed me a few examples and they DID look like liquid glass with NO signs of ANY orange peel in any light, at any angle). He said that the factory clear I have on there looks great now and the biggest bang is looking down the top of the car anyway, and it's going to be a killer keeping the sides clean and detailed. He said that the small orange peel on the sides of the car actually make it harder to see the dirt... In any case, he said it's my money and he'd be happy to do it for me...

2. The mirrors will look good at first he said, but after a while the texture will come back a little no matter how smooth they sand the plastic (he could make it so that doesn't happen but it would be a LOT more money). He said the plastic has a memory kind of effect and causes this to happen. He's painted a number of these kinds of mirrors and it happens all the time. Not much you can do about it without just about casting the mirror out of something else...

3. He suggested that I don't leave the license plate area cut out like that as most painted stripes go all the way down behind the plate. In addition, he said that since vinyl all has that cutout, that making my stripes a little different there would set off my car nicely in a personal way... Again, it's up to me...

4. He's going to mount the vinyl G.T. 350 on the rocker panels for me, but said he wouldn't dare overcoat them with clear. It's just not a good idea... I can have them PAINTED ON though! I didn't know this, but he said he could take my vinyl to a graphics guy and then have a negative taken - then he could paint them on. BUT if he does this then I have to have the WHOLE car wet sanded... So I would have to pay the $2200 + $600 for wetsanding/clearing the rest of the car + whatever he would charge me to paint the rocker stripes themselves. He suggested that since I'm a daily driver to go ahead and not do the whole car thing - just vinyl the sides and enjoy the ride.

He even MORE suggested not to do the super smooth whole car wetsand because I'm a daily driver and want to put the 3M clear bra over the high rock impact surfaces which will cover up any difference between super smooth and my current clear coat...

What do you think? Seems like the best bang for my buck is the original deal - paint the stripes, clear/wetsand the top panels, vinyl the sides and leave it at that.

I need to let him know by Wednesday on what to do with the license plate area.

Thanks!

Joe
Old 2/20/06, 01:10 PM
GT Member

How wide will the stripes be?

I like the idea of at least going to the edge of the inside of the fog lights.

How wide will the spacing be?

Again, my .02 - I liked the gray one that Ford had on the circuit with a 1 inch space. Looks more "tailored" than the 2 or 1.5 inch spacing.

I got my mirrors painted too after a small fender bender and I like the look. Good luck.
Old 2/20/06, 01:25 PM
V6 Member

10" wide, 1.5" gap. I felt that the 1" was too small??
Old 2/20/06, 01:37 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definately have the area where the rear license plate goes filled in. That only makes sense. My body guy is still giving me a hard time about getting my mirrors painted cause he said no matter how much they sand them, the paint will most likely crack within a year. I might still get them done anyway.

As for wet sanding the entire car....do you even see any orange peel now? If not I wouldn't even bother.

Sound like your car is going to look like mine used to look. You will love it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/20/06, 02:06 PM
V6 Member

I do see some orange peel now, but it's better than most cars I've owned. Then again, I'm pretty picky! I have to show people the effect - you have to look for it at the right light angle; if you don't you can't see it at all. At the right angle you can see it if you look close. At 5 feet it looks perfect no mater what angle...
I bought a 86 Camaro new and the orange peel on the rockers was HORRIBLE (not even glossy!) yet the dealer said I was too picky and wouldn't repaint it. I'm sure if they saw what I call "orange peel" on my Mustang they'd commit me to a mental institution...
Joe
Old 2/20/06, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

screw the paint----supercharge it---
Old 2/21/06, 07:26 AM
FR500 Member

I say save your money on wetsanding the whole car. Just have the top panels done. If you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket, and you want to put it on the exterior of the car, get the 3M stuff like you were saying. I mean, unless you are trying to win car shows here for best paint, the only person that will be able to tell there is absolutely no orange peel is you and your painter.

Also, I definitely say get that area behind your license plate painted. The stripes need to go all the way through... that's how painted stripes should be. If you have him go around that area, the majority of the people who see your car will think that you have vinyl stripes, and that will defeat some of the purpose. Because 99% of the people who look at your car will never get close enough to tell they are painted, or will not know you well enough to ask.

Hope this helps, and congrats on switching from vinyl to paint. I did the same thing, and even had the knife marks in my clear too. You will be very happy with it, especially when you go to wash/wax your car. Plus, when people do come up to me and ask about my car, or I'm showing it to friends... everyone is always in awe when they feel the edge (or lack of) on my stripes. It just adds that little extra "cool" factor to your car.
Old 2/21/06, 07:55 AM
V6 Member

That's really helpful Ian! I was thinking the same thing. Seems like I'd be throwing my money away. If it was a weekend only car it would be different...
I never considered that you paint behind the plate; I just blindly was thinking to repeat what I saw on the vinyl... Dumb!! I'll DEFINITELY get behind the plate painted.
Super, thanks!
Joe
Old 2/21/06, 11:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Joe, I can't wait to see some pics when your GT is done. We'll have matching cars. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] . I really want to see how the pearl paint comes out too. Way to go in getting the stripes painted, you will love them!
Old 2/21/06, 02:25 PM
V6 Member

Thanks Jeff! I CAN'T WAIT to get my baby back. I'll tell you, leaving my car with someone for a week is not for the very,very, VERY NERVOUS! By next week I'll be a wreck!
Did you go with the 3M clear bra anywhere? What do you think since I'm a daily driver???

Joe
Old 2/21/06, 06:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(albireo @ February 21, 2006, 4:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks Jeff! I CAN'T WAIT to get my baby back. I'll tell you, leaving my car with someone for a week is not for the very,very, VERY NERVOUS! By next week I'll be a wreck!
Did you go with the 3M clear bra anywhere? What do you think since I'm a daily driver???

Joe
[/b][/quote]

Hey Joe, I know what you mean. I too was a bit nervous when I took my car over to get the stripes done. It quickly faded away, as out body shop guy here at the dealership is top notch! I didn't do anything in regards to a clear bra, or that XPel treatment, as my GT isn't my every day car. It's my weekend "toy", and with my insurance set up the way it is, I can only drive it 8500 miles per year. If you plan on driving it every day, I would definitely look into adding it to the car. I heard nothing but good things about it. You should also look up this X-Pel stuff. Same idea, but more protection, I think. Maybe someone on here that has it can add their experience with it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]