05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Calling Acadian!

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/06, 01:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just wondering how the rebuild is coming on your injuried Mustang Ian? Pictures, updates or info would be good. I am anxious to see what you have done~
Old 1/21/06, 09:29 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for asking. I have been really busy lately with work so I haven't gotten on here much. The car is coming along VERY slow. The closest shop I could find that wasn't booked for at least 3 months is almost an hour away from me, and he was just able to start on it this week. Shops are booked solid around here because of the hurricanes and so many cars having trees fall on them, etc. My body shop says they are shooting to have it done 3 weeks from now... but it may be more like 4-5. I should definitely have it ready for Mardi Gras... which is at the end of February. So far, he has ordered some parts, and he straightened the frame- the two rails that come out and hold the bumper were bent a little bit.

Now, as far as what I have decided to do to the car... I am going with a '67 Shelby GT350 tribute. I'm putting a new stock front bumper on, along with my old CDC classic chin spoiler (which surprisingly wasn't hurt during the wreck). I'm also getting the RKSport GTR ram air hood. That should look great with my stripes... haven't seen anyone with that hood and stripes yet. I was going to go with the SSE center fog grille... but since the other one (with the larger honeycomb) should be coming out soon, I will hopefully be able to get that one instead and save some cash. Oh, and I'm also going to put on both sets of 3DCarbon side scoops. I started prepping those today and am going to paint them myself with a paint kit I got. That's basically it. The only other thing are emblems... I will but a tribar running pony emblem on the grille. I don't want "Shelby" anywhere on the car, so will go with the '65/'66 Shelby badging. One fender needed to be replaced and I am getting the body shop to weld the holes in the other fender so I won't have any emblems there, I always thought that the pony emblems were a bit busy on my car.

Hopefully, I'll have some money leftover from the insurance check. Depending on how much, I will either get some 4.10 gears or the 18x9 bullitt wheels (like Burke's car) that I have been wanting for a while now.

So keep an eye out around the middle/end of February for some new pics. I'll have her looking better than she did before.
Old 1/21/06, 09:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what.. where Have i been? you wrecked/ Your car was so beautiful..
Old 1/21/06, 10:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK and keep us posted.
Old 1/21/06, 10:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by acadian@January 22, 2006, 12:32 AM
I'm also getting the RKSport GTR ram air hood. That should look great with my stripes... haven't seen anyone with that hood and stripes yet.
Grr... I need to win the lottery so I can get mine 1st! :bang:

Not that it'd make your car look bad... I just wanted to be selfish
Old 1/21/06, 10:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Glad to hear things are working out for ya Ian, and I hope the wait will go quickly. Your mods sound very cool, but I can't help to notice an "Eleanorish" theme developing. Is that your goal (and a fine goal it is), or do you have a different look in mind? Either way, I'm sure it'll be awesome. I have debated the upper/lower side scoops ever since I ordered my car, but so far I have resisted. I can't wait to see yours. Glad you're still around...
Old 1/22/06, 12:32 PM
FR500 Member

I'm sure I will get flamed for this... but believe it or not I was actually considering Cervini's parts to make my car an Eleanor clone. I know a lot of people don't like that car and/or are sick of it, but the Eleanor in 'Gone In 60 Seconds' is one of my favorite cars of all-time. But after thinking about it long and hard, I couldn't do it. I'd much rather have a true one-of-a-kind 'tribute' than a clone that a few people already have and many more probably will (by that I mean an '05/'06 mineral grey Eleanor clone). But, the fact that Eleanor was a '67 Shelby and my car will be a '67 Shelby tribute is no coincidence.

I had people telling me my car looks like Eleanor the first day I put black stripes on my car. Mineral grey is similar to Eleanor's color, so some people do say that. A buddy of mine actually calls my car "Unicorn" which is what Nick Cage called Eleanor in the movie. My car won't be an Eleanor clone though.. different hood, no fogs in the front bumper, no billet grilles, and definitely no badging. The side scoops will definitely make it look more "Eleanorish" though, which I don't really mind a bit. And Jim, I think your car would look great with the side scoops. Hopefully once I get mine on, I'll convince some of the guys out there like you with the RKSport Californa Dream hood to put scoops on and go for a true '68 Shelby tribute.
Old 1/22/06, 12:46 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Enfynet@January 21, 2006, 11:40 PM
Grr... I need to win the lottery so I can get mine 1st! :bang:

Not that it'd make your car look bad... I just wanted to be selfish
Go out and get some lottery tickets! And are you planning to get stripes on your car? I personally haven't liked the RKSPort GTR hood on the cars I've seen it on with no stripes. I like what Bryan did with his where he blacked it out... but I think that hood needs something like stripes to make it work. I think the same thing about the '67 Shelby though too...
Old 1/22/06, 12:47 PM
FR500 Member

Here's another example...
Old 1/22/06, 12:59 PM
FR500 Member

You know what Ian, that's the beauty of taking your time with things You get to really think hard about what you're going to do next and you find yourself changing your mind about things you thought you never would.

In the end, you'll know just when things are the way you want them.

Look forward to seeing those pics, and here's wishing that other center fog grille comes along. I've waiting patiently on that one too
Old 1/22/06, 01:45 PM
FR500 Member

Tony, that photochop of your car with the center-fog grille is what really convinced me to go with it. I believe you even had the tribar pony emblem on the driver's side too... which is what I plan to do also. If everything works out, the grille should be coming out in the next week or so.
Old 1/22/06, 02:29 PM
Cobra Member

Ian,

I have been wondering how your pony is coming along... I can't wait to see pic's when your done, she will be beautiful. Your going to like the 3-D Carbon scoops. I am getting my Cervini upper and lower scoops painted and I think it will really help with my 68 Shelby look.

Keep us posted!
Old 1/22/06, 02:53 PM
FR500 Member

Justin, glad to see you went with the side scoops. Can't wait to see them on your car.
Old 1/22/06, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ian and Justin BOTH going with side scoops? And I was thinking they were maybe too much? Even Shelby himself kinda poo-poohed them, saying they were only for looks and not good for anything. The pony builder site can show me how they'd look, and I do actually kinda like 'em. I think I like the Xenon ones best, but I'll take my time. It took me weeks just to decide on a rear badge decal. Check it out Here
It's removable and doesn't actually say "Shelby" or "GT500", so I don't want to hear any flack from the purists. You guys probably don't catch any teasing because your cars can perform up the Shelby name. Mine is stock, but I like the snakes anyway. The side scoops will take me awhile to decide on.
Old 1/22/06, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ian, I am still undecided on stripes at this point. I'm not real sure how wide the RK Sport hood scoop is and these cars like wider stripes. If the hood scoop is narrower I'd probably go with either a blackout hood or the Cervinis 4 stripe (lemans stripe with pinstripes next to them)... But being as I have not won the lottery yet (or had my raise go through... grr) I'm really in no hurry on these decisions.

Hopefully it's the right width for stripes on this car.
Old 1/22/06, 11:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Enfynet@January 22, 2006, 10:57 PM
Ian, I am still undecided on stripes at this point. I'm not real sure how wide the RK Sport hood scoop is and these cars like wider stripes. If the hood scoop is narrower I'd probably go with either a blackout hood or the Cervinis 4 stripe (lemans stripe with pinstripes next to them)... But being as I have not won the lottery yet (or had my raise go through... grr) I'm really in no hurry on these decisions.

Hopefully it's the right width for stripes on this car.
I agree. The standard stripes on the 05 Mustang look good, but it begs for wider stripes, such as you describe with pinstripes. The best part is I plan to paint at the very end, a few year from now, or when I win the lottery. Here some pics of stripes:
Old 1/23/06, 10:26 AM
FR500 Member

In a couple weeks I should be able to have some info on the RKSport GTR hood scoop openings and the size stripes you need to make them work. I believe though that I'll be able to get my old stripes on there... they might have to be a tad narrower. But no less than 10" wide with a 1" gap. I think I had around 10.5" before and I may be able to get that width again... we'll see.

I went back and forth on the side scoops for a while. I, like most, don't like anything that isn't functional. But ultimately I love the look. It will make the car look a little wider too, which is really what I'm looking for. And afterall, the new C/S SE Mustang will have the side door scoops added on. Previous model stangs have had the fake door scoops also. So, it doesn't really bother me. And of course, it definitely goes with the Shelby look I'm going for.
Old 1/23/06, 10:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by acadian@January 23, 2006, 9:29 AM

I went back and forth on the side scoops for a while. I, like most, don't like anything that isn't functional. But ultimately I love the look. It will make the car look a little wider too, which is really what I'm looking for. And afterall, the new C/S SE Mustang will have the side door scoops added on. Previous model stangs have had the fake door scoops also. So, it doesn't really bother me. And of course, it definitely goes with the Shelby look I'm going for.
I couldn't have said it better myself...
Old 1/23/06, 10:50 AM
Big Falken Tires

IAN

Can't wait to see it, buddy!

I know it will be great!!

(hope you can get the wheels too.... you will be OH so happy........ )

Wanna see that thing in Sept!!
Old 1/23/06, 11:05 AM
FR500 Member

Dave, I love those wheels. I liked them 'a lot' before I saw them on your car. After that though, I seriously fell in love with them. They will be on my car before Labor Day... that I am certain of. Now, whether or not I can get them on before Mardi Gras is another thing. Better believe I'm gonna try though.

Quick Reply: Calling Acadian!