05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

BSM Super Snake stripes installation notes

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/06, 08:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BSM Super Snake stripes installation notes

As promised, here are my long awaited BSM super snake stripe installation notes:

First off, much thanks to my Mom for allowing me to overtake my parent’s carport and use their house as a location to install my stripes. Living in an apartment and having no overhead cover with which to work from, I’d imagine it would’ve been next to impossible to do had Mom not given me the ok to use the carport.

Thanks also to Rob and crew at Baltimore Street Mods. Not only have they designed an excellent product, but the quality of the stripes and of the instructions they provide are phenomenal.

As for the install itself, the instructions Rob provides are pretty straight forward. When you receive your stripes I highly recommend laying them out as I have below and either making notes as to which piece goes where or marking them somehow.

Granted, starting at the back and working forward the piece are laid out on the wax paper as they’ll go on the car, but this’ll save you the hassle later of scratching your head and trying to figure out what in the hell the piece you just cut out is.

This brings me to my second piece of advice, cut out the pieces you are working on as you need them. I had the good fortune of playing out my stripes on my parents covered front porch cutting them out and taking them beneath the carport. This is also helpful if there is even the slightest of breezes because if there is, your stripes will take on the flight characteristics of a kite.

Wash your car thoroughly, however, there is no need to do the entire vehicle, only the portion where the stripes will be located with a little overlap is plenty.

Mix your spray according to the instructions provided and go to town. Some of the piece you will be able to handle alone, but assistance is required on the larger pieces (again thanks Mom!). The entire rear of the car can be done by oneself, but do not even attempt to do the much larger pieces by yourself, it’ll only lead to the use of colorful metaphors and consumption of adult beverages.

A second pair of hands also comes in handy after you have your piece in place and you start to squeegee out the bubbles. If you overspray the area where the stripes go and the back of the strips themselves, then the stripes will have a tendency to slide all over the place, so have your helper hold the stripe in place while you squeegee them.

I found it easier when doing the larger pieces, such as the hood and the roof, to measure all the way across the section where they are going at the leading and trailing edges and then doing the math. Take the measurement, subtract the width of the main stripe (18”), divide it in half, and that will tell you how far the stripe should be from each edge of the car. I found this to be the easiest and most accurate way placing the stripes. This is best accomplished with a cloth measuring tape because that will most easily take into account the curves of the vehicle.

After all the 18” strips are installed then tackle the 1” pinstripes. This will go quickly especially when compared to the larger stripe. Using 1” wide blue painter’s tape, I placed a line of tape butted up right against main stripe and laid out the pinstripes accordingly.

Once everything is laid out it’s just a matter of squeegeeing out any major bubbles and waiting the painstaking five days to wash and wax your car.

It should be noted that all total this installation took me 8 hours. Initially I had screwed up the back bumper piece so badly that I just opted to leave it off. Rob upon hearing this was kind enough to send me another bumper piece free of charge and now Enyo has stripes all the way down except for her front bumper. (The kit comes with two pieces for the front bumper because you’re bound to screw up one. I have. I have one more to try, but won’t get bent out of shape if I can’t get the stripes on the front bumper. I rather like it without the stripes there…. Stupid V6 cutout bumper.)

My last bit of advice, a 98 degree/90 percent humidity Alabama day coupled with a fish sandwich and strawberry shake from Hardee’s does not a good stripe installation lunch make. Be sure to drink plenty of water.

Old 8/30/06, 08:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Looks Great Now put a shaker in the middle of that big *** stripe
A little tip for the front bumper area, Use a blowdryer/heat gun. It helps the vinyl conform to the complex compound contours of that front bumper piece. It is BY FAR the hardest part on the 05+ Mustangs when installing vinyl stripes.
Old 9/15/06, 10:18 PM

I should include these instructions along with mine!!!!!

email me for the front bumper... I have it designed now - it looks kinda like the other V6 bumpers, but at least you can run it through there.
Old 9/16/06, 09:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pics aren't showing up.
Old 9/21/06, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Looks Great Now put a shaker in the middle of that big *** stripe
A little tip for the front bumper area, Use a blowdryer/heat gun. It helps the vinyl conform to the complex compound contours of that front bumper piece. It is BY FAR the hardest part on the 05+ Mustangs when installing vinyl stripes.
Just be careful with the heat gun. get it too hot, you can discolor the stripes or worse... bubble your paint. Another member found this out the hard way yesterday......

We do not recommend the heat gun to anyone that has never used one before, but if you are familiar with using one, it can help. Just keep in mind that a heat gun is designed to peel old paint, etc..it's much hotter than a hair dryer. Lowest setting only.