05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Brake Caliper paint on a VB

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/08, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Brake Caliper paint on a VB

I'd like to paint my brake calipers on my 08 VB GT. I got a can of Duplicolor spray blue caliper paint, but haven't used it. I just saw redshaker06 talking about G2 paint for brakes in Redfire? I looked on the G2 website and no Redfire mentioned...

Anyone painted their calipers on a VB? I'd like to get it to match the outside if possible (I don't want to do red), but a slightly different color blue doesn't sound like it'll look that good in theory. Anyone have pics or suggestions of colors that work with VB or where to get a VB look alike for my brakes?

Thanks as always for the help guys and girls, TMS is awesome!
Old 3/21/08, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Hi, I have the G2 kit in blue..... it's not a perfect match, but it's relatively close and looks great IMO. I get compliments all the time....

Old 3/21/08, 06:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Old 3/21/08, 06:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good, Tom! I'd go ahead and put the blue on there, Tom's looks great.

I went with black, nobody even notices it. I only notice it since it's chipping, ha!

Last edited by Hatchman; 3/21/08 at 06:50 PM.
Old 3/21/08, 06:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Brad!
Old 3/21/08, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I for some reason don't have a pic of mine but I went with the duplicolour blue brush on kit, looks pretty similar to the g2 kit above. I quite like it, finishes that part of the car off and the blue is a little more rare than the typical red thats on everything.
Old 3/22/08, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Limited Edition Mustang Red Fire G2 Brake Caliper Paint Kit: Hubcaps Plus Afte

There you go sir. Its not an exact redfire match, but it does seem more durable and a lot shinnier. U should be able to get to the other colors from there also

Last edited by Redfireshaker06; 3/22/08 at 11:25 AM.
Old 3/22/08, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sweet! Thanks for the info RedfireShaker06 (sorry I got your name wrong in the original post)!

Tom, as always, your car looks awesome and is a shining blue beacon for VB'ers everywhere! But seriously, it does look good, and in the pictures it really does look like its pretty close. Did you take your calipers off to do it? I'm a little leary of trying to completely take the calipers off because I've never bled or repressurized a brake line. I'd feel embarrased to take it somewhere to have them put it back together for a home project... lol

Thanks guys, as always, I love this site.
Old 3/22/08, 06:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mackitraz
Sweet! Thanks for the info RedfireShaker06 (sorry I got your name wrong in the original post)!

Tom, as always, your car looks awesome and is a shining blue beacon for VB'ers everywhere! But seriously, it does look good, and in the pictures it really does look like its pretty close. Did you take your calipers off to do it? I'm a little leary of trying to completely take the calipers off because I've never bled or repressurized a brake line. I'd feel embarrased to take it somewhere to have them put it back together for a home project... lol

Thanks guys, as always, I love this site.

You're too kind... thanks for the compliments.

I did not remove my calipers- for the same reason why you don't want to remove yours lol ! I don't think it's necessary at all, as long as you have the wheels off and have the car at a comfortable height so you can access the calipers easily. I raised the car to about 12" off the ground, then just rolled around upright on my creeper and painted away.
Old 3/22/08, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds good, I'm assuming you were using a hand application kit and not a spray kit or am I wrong?

And actually Tom, if you want a little funny side note, your car was the first VB I ever saved pictures of when I got interested in a VB. I just looked at it and said, "I'm not sure what I'll do to it, but I want it to end up looking something like that!" So there's your sincere compliment of the day. Did you ever get rid of your Vortech setup? I saw you toying with something new a little while back on couple of threads...
Old 3/22/08, 07:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I use the G2 kit.... you can find it here: $38 delivered

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...tem__Blue.html

Yes I did sell the Vortech setup and now am running a Saleen blower with several upgrades from Brenspeed.
Old 3/22/08, 08:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'd get the G2 kit that Tom used. For one, everybody says the G2 kit sticks better/chips less than the Duplicolor kit. Mine will chip pretty easily, and I have the Dup. Second, with the spray paint, you'll almost have to take the calipers off and take the brake pads out and tape everything up. Though you could leave the caliper attached to the brake line, you'll have to tape up everything in the wheel well, and the fender as well. Just so much easier to put it on four jackstands, take the tires off, and just paint the calipers with a little brush, really easy.

Matter of fact, I was putting new Earl's stainless lines on mine at the time, and I still left them mounted up while I painted them since you can paint the whole outside of the caliper except for the mounting holes. Bleeding them is no big deal though, even for one person with the right "tool".

I wish I had gotten the G2, myself. I have to touch mine up every once in a while.

I've got four jackstands and a floor jack if you want to give it a shot one weekend, or if you just need a hand.

Last edited by Hatchman; 3/22/08 at 08:35 PM.
Old 3/22/08, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I just took my wheels off and did it like these guys with Calipers on. I haven't had any chipping or anything like that in nearly a year of having it on there but yeah get that G2 kit, I used the Duplicolour kit as I impulse purchased it one day before reading up on it.
Old 3/22/08, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had Duplicolor Black on my old Celica GT-S (until I was seduced by power and double the cylinders...) but over a year and a half didn't really chip it at all. However I'm really skittish about the idea of overspray since I don't have a good place inside to spray it, so I think I'll probably go with the G2.

Hatchman, I just sent you a PM about getting together for a beer or something sometime. I just might take you up on the offer if you have time, as I have neither jackstands, nor level ground to put them on.
Old 3/23/08, 05:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have perf white, with the G2 red paint?
Old 3/23/08, 06:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I had a Celica GT for about 13 years, loved that car, finally gave it away to my brother.
Yes, overspray is an issue, much easier to paint brush on. I got your PM and sent an email back with my phone #. Let me know when you want to do it, I've got a track day at VIR with TeamProMotion (sportbikes) in three weeks, but could do it any time besides that. My garage is pretty flat, and I've got the tools, just need the paint.

Oh, I found this place that has
Limited Edition Mustang Vista Blue G2 Brake Caliper Paint Kit

this link takes you to wind veil blue, but they also have VB

http://www.stumbleupon.com/demo/#url=http://g2usa.com/WordPress/2007/08/21/limited-edition-mustang-wind-veil-blue-brake-caliper-paint-is-now-available-for-purchase/

also some on ebay (same company):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUSTO...QQcmdZViewItem

As you can see, 20 extra bucks for the custom color, but might be worth it to have the paint match exactly.
I see that the G2 is a two part epoxy. I just did my garage floor in two part epoxy, and the concrete block trim around the edge of the garage in one part epoxy. The two part epoxy was a MUCH better product and looked thicker, glossier, and dried hard as a rock. Two part is the way to go, for sure.

Last edited by Hatchman; 3/23/08 at 06:53 AM.
Old 3/23/08, 08:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I did mine with G2 a while back in Grabber Orange. I bought a yellow kit and a red kit and mixed it myself until I got a match. I put small dabs as I was mixing it on a piece of cardboard and then dried it with a hair dryer until I got it right. After I got the desired color I then added the hardener. I am sure you could do the same for VB. I have been very happy with mine.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Caliper paint on a VB-razor.jpg  
Old 3/23/08, 08:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Hi, I have the G2 kit in blue..... it's not a perfect match, but it's relatively close and looks great IMO. I get compliments all the time....

Thats a pretty good match, I don't know that you could do any better than that trying to mix it.
Old 3/23/08, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll be looking into the custom kit soon. Can't hurt to get it close to exact right? But ultimately I'll be happy if it looks as good as Toms...or Robbieg's for that matter. Nice GO match!

Hatchman, I'll send you a reply today.
Old 3/23/08, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Like a few others here, I picked up the Duplicolor kit as an impulse buy. Having issues with chipping as well. Anyone have this problem and switch over to the G2 kit? Would it be difficult to remove what's left of the Duplicolor from the calipers?

Thanks in advance for any help with this...

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper paint on a VB