05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Body Shops

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/06, 06:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it's been a week since I've dropped my CDC Chin Spoiler and my Xenon Side Scoops to the guy who did my stripes and they still have not been painted! What gives??

I called him on Friday thinking that he was going to paint it Friday, as what he lead me on to believe, but nope. And I dropped the parts off last Wednesday.

I called him and his excuse was that 2 of his 4 painters were at an auto-maint. class. But come on, 2 simple parts? This long? I should of just spray painted the parts myself (sarcastic)

The reason I went to this guy was because he did such a great job on my stripes that I wanted him to paint the parts because the chin spoiler would be getting the rest of the stripe look to it and I wanted the same guy who did it to finish it. He was going to charge me $130 for paint, striping and installation.

We have a friend who has been friends with the family for almost 12 years who owns a body shop 5 blocks from my house who was going to paint the parts for a little more than what the guy was charging me, he was going to charge me roughly $160-170.

I wanted to have them painted and put on b4 I went on vacation this weeked, but I don't think thats going to happen, not within a day and a half.

What you guys think, leave the parts at the place they are at right now or take it to the friend of the family guy who may have the stuff done 2morrow? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/23/06, 09:49 AM

THats a tough call. My car has been in the shop for almost a month now for just body work. As soon as it gets finished (hoping for friday or monday) then it is going in for some performance mods. I cant stop thinking about my car. Its making me crazy.
Old 2/23/06, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Body shops are all about money and if your not putting down a ton of cash, they push other work aside. IMO. Luckily I'm dealing with a good shop up in noth jersey, they have my Ledgend spoiler and Roush louvers at the moment and I have been the hold up and not them.

That's a long time for those two pieces. I bet they are not going to touch them, if they know your going on vacation.
Old 2/23/06, 10:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torrence @ February 23, 2006, 11:59 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Body shops are all about money and if your not putting down a ton of cash, they push other work aside. IMO. Luckily I'm dealing with a good shop up in noth jersey, they have my Ledgend spoiler and Roush louvers at the moment and I have been the hold up and not them.

That's a long time for those two pieces. I bet they are not going to touch them, if they know your going on vacation.
[/b][/quote]

Nope, they dont know that and they never will. Luckily they are open till 6 tonight, if they are not prepped, primed or painted by 2nite, I'm pulling them from this guy. I'm a very impatient person. And I've called 3 other body shops and they said to have everything prepped and painted takes about 2 hours. But 10 days?? Come on!
Old 2/23/06, 11:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

10 days is a long time. He may have put other more profitable items ahead of yours as Torrence mentioned. Which is a shame because you are a returning customer. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]

If you're not taking the car with you on vacation then I don't see the harm in leaving the parts with the guy. Check in with him the day before you return and if they are still not done then make arrangements with your family friend so he'd be able to slot you in right when you get back. My .02
Old 2/23/06, 11:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blackhat97 @ February 23, 2006, 1:09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
10 days is a long time. He may have put other more profitable items ahead of yours as Torrence mentioned. Which is a shame because you are a returning customer. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]

If you're not taking the car with you on vacation then I don't see the harm in leaving the parts with the guy. Check in with him the day before you return and if they are still not done then make arrangements with your family friend so he'd be able to slot you in right when you get back. My .02
[/b][/quote]

Technically I am going to a Mustang Meet Friday night with a few of my other Mustang buddies who are not members on here and its suppose to be a good 30-40 Mustangs there. Thats why I was eager to have the parts done. So thats why I was wanting it done b4 the weekend. If I wasnt going to the meet then I would not be complaining about not having them painted and would of been happy to have them done when i came back.
Old 2/23/06, 11:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaverickMLFD371 @ February 23, 2006, 1:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Technically I am going to a Mustang Meet Friday night with a few of my other Mustang buddies who are not members on here and its suppose to be a good 30-40 Mustangs there. Thats why I was eager to have the parts done. So thats why I was wanting it done b4 the weekend. If I wasnt going to the meet then I would not be complaining about not having them painted and would of been happy to have them done when i came back.
[/b][/quote]

Well now that's a different story. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] I fully understand your eagerness. In fact, knowing what I know now, I'd say you have been more than patient with the guy. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/slap.gif[/img] If you can be assured of quality work from one of the other places that quoted you 2 hours then yeah, pull your parts and go to the other guy. I understand about wanting things completed in time for a meet. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/23/06, 11:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I look at it this way, at least you found someone that does good work. Someday I'm going to add painted stripes, and I want them to be perfect. Finding someone that will do a great job is no easy task. I just ordered a CDC chin spoiler and I'm worried about finding a good shop to paint that. So in the end, what's a few extra days (or even weeks) to get the job done perfectly.
Old 2/23/06, 12:47 PM

Well, I just got back from the body shop and I'm not a real happy camper because they said it wasnt gonna be done til next friday. I had to drop off a couple more parts and talk with him about the hood pin placement on my Cervinis eleanor hood. As long as they do a good job I guess I dont care how long it takes but it is a frustrating/anxious wait. Then next friday my car goes in immediately for Stainless Works headers, 4.10s, and a TCI 3000 torque converter.
Old 2/23/06, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[attachmentid=45723][attachmentid=45723]<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phord @ February 23, 2006, 2:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well, I just got back from the body shop and I'm not a real happy camper because they said it wasnt gonna be done til next friday. I had to drop off a couple more parts and talk with him about the hood pin placement on my Cervinis eleanor hood. As long as they do a good job I guess I dont care how long it takes but it is a frustrating/anxious wait. Then next friday my car goes in immediately for Stainless Works headers, 4.10s, and a TCI 3000 torque converter.
[/b][/quote]

If the guy doe's good work it will be worth the wait. My car has been in the body shop for over eight months, But, It will be slick as glass, when finished. Everyscoop is molded on, to look as though it came from the factory that way. my car will be finished next week. Here's some pre-view pics.
Old 2/23/06, 04:09 PM
GT Member

As an owner of a body shop I'll give my .02 on the subject.

Just because they are a couple small pieces doesn't mean it's any easier of a job. The same prep work and painting has to be done exactly the same as any bigger project. The only difference would be organizing the work schedule.....your parts are not the only project in that body shop.....and to be honest probably not the most important. If it is a collision shop, the undriveable collision jobs always come first (those people are out of their car) you can still drive and use your car. It is also difficult to get time to prime and paint the parts in the paintbooth (especially if you have other cars or larger projects tying up the booth) Like some others have said.....you don't rush quality. If you want a good job it's going to take some time.......a good shop is a busy shop. If you can pull up to a shop, go in drop your parts off and have them in 2 hours.....that must mean they are sitting around with nothing else to do!!! (Maybe nobody goes there for work....I guess)

So as an owner of a shop I do take the criticism to heart. We do our best to get work in and out of the shop. Like I say....the parts, cars, projects etc. don't make money sitting here. They make money when they go out the door.
Old 2/23/06, 05:05 PM
Cobra Member

I would think a better practice for this particular body shop would be to SCHEDULE the guy for his paint work.

In other words if they don't have the time to do it right now then they shouldn't accept the job until they do-- period.

I had to wait for over a month to get my body kit installed and painted... BUT my car wasn't sitting in some body shop I drove it until the day it was scheduled and it took them a week to do the work. This is a much better practice I would think than to take a guys car / parts / whatever and just push them aside whenever you get in more "important" work.

Unless this guy told you it was going to take 10 days I would probably have gone with a different shop. AND would never go to this shop again... just my 2 cents anyway.
Old 2/24/06, 06:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Imatk @ February 23, 2006, 7:08 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I would think a better practice for this particular body shop would be to SCHEDULE the guy for his paint work.

In other words if they don't have the time to do it right now then they shouldn't accept the job until they do-- period. [/b][/quote]

Exactly!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Imatk @ February 23, 2006, 7:08 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I had to wait for over a month to get my body kit installed and painted... BUT my car wasn't sitting in some body shop I drove it until the day it was scheduled and it took them a week to do the work. This is a much better practice I would think than to take a guys car / parts / whatever and just push them aside whenever you get in more "important" work.[/b][/quote]

A whole month??? Wow, now you have me thinking that my parts may take that long. But yea unfortionately I called the guy this morning and guess what, still in the boxes!!!! Not Painted!

Unless this guy told you it was going to take 10 days I would probably have gone with a different shop. AND would never go to this shop again... just my 2 cents anyway.
[/b][/quote]

No he just said when I dropped it off Wednesday, that it'll be painted Friday. Then come Tuesday, because Monday was a holiday and they were closed, they're still not painted, then he said they'll be painted by Thursday. Its now Friday and I just called them and they are still not painted and said they would be painted sometime in the middle of next week. Now how do I know within that time that I'm gone on vacation that when I come back, they will be painted??

If this guy really doesnt want my business, just say so, give me my parts back and enjoy the rest of your co without my business. Thats all. You know what, this whole thing has got me worked up that since I have not gotten the parts painted and put on, I think I may cancel my Mustang meet for 2nite.
Old 2/24/06, 10:34 AM
Cobra Member

Well for what is't worth man I feel you but you shouldn't let this guy get to you.

At the end of the day to him it's just busines... unfortunately for you his business practices are less than admirable IMHO but there's an easy solution.

Just go get your parts and tell the guy how you feel. Might make you feel better and might make him change his practices (although I doubt it). OR just go get your parts and go to a shop that will treat you right.

Yeah had to wait a month because the shop was very busy, but I didn't mind. I wanted it done sooner, but I was willing to wait because they were an excellent shop. But again I wasn't without my car for that time and the owner was upfront about everything.
Old 3/6/06, 06:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well guys I'm finally back from my cruise vacation and its been a whole week. Now keep in mind its 3 weeks total now that its been in this shop. It's now 8:30am and I will be giving this guy a call a little bit later this afternoon. If these parts are not painted still, I will be paying him a little visit this afternoon and taking back my parts. I'll let you know how I make out......
Old 3/6/06, 08:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders. The parts are Painted!!!! Finally! Very excited, I'll be dropping the car off 2morrow morning and he should have then put on and the chin spoiler striped by 2morrow night. Seems like its going to be a bright day 2morrow. I'll post pics when I get the car back! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/9/06, 05:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

And they are on!!

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=46352