05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Body Shop

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/05, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I dropped my hood scoop off at the body shop on Friday. I have the satin silver with metalic clearcoat. He said because of the metalic flakes in my paint it will probably will not match/blend in well with the hood unless he puts a light metalic clearcoat over it and the hood. Could this be true or is he just trying to get extra money out of me? I would deeply appreciate your help, thanks.
Old 5/30/05, 09:33 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So if what he is saying is true, wouldn't that mean after spraying your hood it would now not match the quarter panels? I think he is full of
Old 5/30/05, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Metallic paint is very hard to duplicate or match, sounds like they are just trying to blend it in. Have them paint the scoop first, if you don't like it then let them blend it. If the color has any pearl too, then it's nearly impossible to match...
Old 5/30/05, 12:31 PM

He is painting the scoop first and will let me see what I think. I will let you all know.
Old 5/30/05, 12:45 PM
FR500 Member

I have heard this about metallic paints also. If you look at a stock car with metallic paint (like my mineral grey for instance) different parts on the car are slightly different than each other.

Here is what I would do. Have him paint/clear the hood scoop and then see how it looks compared to the hood. If it's a noticeable difference, have the painter blend the hood from the hood scoop out to the fenders. That may actually be what he meant anyway. Like adrenalin said, why make the hood match the scoop if it's not going to match the rest of the car? But the painter should be able to blend the hood from the scoop out and that way, the ends of the hood near the fenders and bumpers will be blended with the rest of the car as well.
Old 5/30/05, 01:39 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're doing the right thing by having him do just the scoop first. And if you notice a difference, hold the scoop near your bumper covers and check the match there. The reason why is that the plastic bumper covers absorb the paint different than the sheet metal, and there will often be a slight difference due to this. It should be very close though. The reason I'm telling you this is because even if he mounts the scoop, then paints the scoop and hood at the same time from the same pint of paint, it might not match perfectly to the trained eye. Good luck.
Old 5/31/05, 06:15 AM

Thanks everyone for your input! I will show you pics when it is all done.