05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Badges? Badges?

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/05, 03:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a V6, and one of the first modifications that I thought would be fun was to put GT badges on it. Why not? I though it would look cool, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Well, I was at the local Ford dealership, and a very nice gentleman doing a dealer trade asked me “how do you like your GT”? I was in a little bit of a hurry, and I didn’t want to take the time to tell him that it really wasn’t a GT, but only a V6. However, with time running out, I just told him “I like it just fine”. After that, I decided that the fender badges were history. I did not like having to lie to him (or anyone else) about it. I pulled them off, and I have painted my rear emblem gloss black. I like the anonymous look better.
--------
Yes, yes, OK, the Wing isn’t very anonymous.
Old 10/23/05, 04:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool car!
Your right, you don't need no stinking badges!
Keep them guessing.
Old 10/23/05, 04:07 PM
Cobra Member

You might consider using the concept pony on the rear badge.

http://www.bobwhitedecals.com/Products/2005/05REO.htm
Old 10/23/05, 04:10 PM
Cobra Member

Maybe you could get the overlay in red with a black pony outline.
Old 10/23/05, 04:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Hi Lewis,
That is a great web site with some super options. I'll check it out.
Thanks, Brian.
Old 10/23/05, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Gearhead@October 23, 2005, 5:10 PM
I have a V6, and one of the first modifications that I thought would be fun was to put GT badges on it. Why not? I though it would look cool, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Well, I was at the local Ford dealership, and a very nice gentleman doing a dealer trade asked me “how do you like your GT”? I was in a little bit of a hurry, and I didn’t want to take the time to tell him that it really wasn’t a GT, but only a V6. However, with time running out, I just told him “I like it just fine”. After that, I decided that the fender badges were history. I did not like having to lie to him (or anyone else) about it. I pulled them off, and I have painted my rear emblem gloss black. I like the anonymous look better.
--------
Yes, yes, OK, the Wing isn’t very anonymous.
sorry for the off topic question. Nice v6/GT by the way.

What is that quote from? A movie? I used to work for a guy that said that when he forgot his security pass. I never asked because I felt that I should have known.

Excuse the ignorance, I'm only 25.
Old 10/23/05, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by tech@October 23, 2005, 3:27 PM
sorry for the off topic question. Nice v6/GT by the way.

What is that quote from? A movie? I used to work for a guy that said that when he forgot his security pass. I never asked because I felt that I should have known.

Excuse the ignorance, I'm only 25.
It is from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Humphrey Bogart (1948):
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0040897/
I still have to see the stinking film myself!
Here is a clip from the movie (audio only):
http://www.darryl.com/badges/fullbadges.wav
Old 10/23/05, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

$24 bucks for a small sticker? Geez. I want to change my GT logo for a pony, and I think you can get the actual emblem for around that price.
Old 10/24/05, 09:22 AM
Cobra Member

Great trivia answer Gearhead!
I didn't know, either.
But I sure enjoy saying it.
Old 10/24/05, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Gearhead@October 23, 2005, 4:35 PM

The line was used in Blazing Saddles also (poking fun of the Treasure of the Sierra Madre of course)
Old 10/24/05, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Gearhead@October 23, 2005, 6:35 PM

That's pretty funny.

Ah yes, Blazing Saddles. I love that movie, however I don't remember that cameo.

"Where' all the white women at?......" that kills me.
Old 10/24/05, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the laugh!!!! And the original source!!!! Great thing to know.
Old 10/24/05, 12:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

They used that line in the "Three Amigio's" too.
Old 10/24/05, 01:20 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I think you just proved why it is not a good idea to put GT badges on a V6. I know some people claim they are not trying to pass thier car off as a GT, but if that is the case, why put them on there. Your car looks pretty good. Are you going to put some sort of body kit on it so the wing looks a little more blended in with the rest of the car?
Old 10/24/05, 03:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@October 24, 2005, 12:23 PM
Well I think you just proved why it is not a good idea to put GT badges on a V6. I know some people claim they are not trying to pass thier car off as a GT, but if that is the case, why put them on there. Your car looks pretty good. Are you going to put some sort of body kit on it so the wing looks a little more blended in with the rest of the car?
I think your comment about GT badges on a V6 are spot-on and capture my sentiments exactly. I also had quite a number of less-than-positive comments from two previous threads regarding the badges, which also helped guide my understanding and subsequent decision to remove the badges.
As far as the 3D Carbon Boy Racer Wing is concerned, I really like the way it looks now with the stock V6 body panels. I have had nothing but positive comments from anyone I have met on the street, at the local drive-in, at work, etc. The Wing follows the rear contour of the trunk from a Top View, and the Winglets align well down the sides of the car. Additionally, the V6 body work tucks very well, which improves my angle of approach and angle of departure, which keeps me from scraping the ground (I am dropped 2” with the Pro-Kit). Another thing that people often ask is if the front fenders are stock, which of course they are. With 255mm wide front tires, the front wheels fill-out the fenders more fully, giving the front fender flairs the character that I think the original designers intended, which is a radical flair.
From a practical standpoint, the Wing now allows me to better know where the aft end of the car is when backing-up. If I keep the Wing at least 1/2 a foot away from the side or rear, I'm in the clear. The Wing also blocks following headlights out of my center rear view mirror, which is a very good thing for my old sensitive eyes.
I think one of the reasons that there have been some negative comments on this forum regarding any true Wing is that Wings have been badly abused on other vehicles, with crazy stuff like:
1.) Bi-wings
2.) Tri-wings
3.) Over the top badging and striping
4.) Associated with other mods that have no practical application, such as exhaust pipes the size of a cannon, overly lowered vehicles with handling identical to a bouncy go-cart, peculiar paint schemes, music that has only a beat an no melody, etc.
Functionally, only a Wing can perform the job that needs to be done, and that is to provide cornering down-force with a minimal drag. A well designed Wing is an upside-down flight surface that will provide a down force to drag in a ratio of 10 to 1, if the Wing is up off the deck in clean air flow. Spoilers, while they look great, have a down force to drag ratio of about 1 to 1. The stock hoop that the Mustang comes with, while called a Spoiler, and looking like a Wing, is really pretty much a cosmetic thing that offers turbulence.
I like the old “form follows function” point of view. The way my car is set-up now; it is without a doubt the best handling car that I have ever driven. With my wheels, springs, and anti-sway bars, coupled with the V6’s close to 50%/50% weight distribution, it is a very fun car to drive.
Old 10/25/05, 06:56 PM
Cobra Member

I think your car looks great without badges. Especially with that wing on it.
Old 10/25/05, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Badgers? Badgers?
We don't need no Stinking Badgers
Badgers? Badgers?
Trinidad Silva playing the character of Raul Hernandez, from UHF (1989)
Old 10/25/05, 11:29 PM
Bullitt Member

You've got to be kidding me.
Old 10/26/05, 08:06 AM
Cobra Member

I know this wasn't the first one time someone said this line. Here's a video to one of my favorite shows when Dr. Johnny Fever says it.
http://www.darryl.com/badges/mov.php?mov=wkrp.mov
Old 10/26/05, 02:21 PM
GT Member

OK I have to ask, are there holes under the GT or V6 badges like on past Mustangs or flat metal? I like the shaved look but have always had to plug holes in the past. The image above leads me to believe there are no holes to weld up and repaint.

Jason

Quick Reply: Badges? Badges?