05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Backup Camera..

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/15, 08:11 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Backup Camera..

Where have you guys put em?

I was thinking about putting it into the faux gas cap where the lock would be but not quite sure how i would do it.. I believe someone has done it here..

Also saw this on Crutchfield but not really a fan.. makes it pretty obvious..
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_074RVCL...PMB.html?tp=83
Old 2/3/15, 07:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Fear
Where have you guys put em?

I was thinking about putting it into the faux gas cap where the lock would be but not quite sure how i would do it.. I believe someone has done it here..

Also saw this on Crutchfield but not really a fan.. makes it pretty obvious..
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_074RVCL...PMB.html?tp=83
Wish I could help.

You probably know already but the factory camera is integrated into the spoiler, is that only on later models?

And the thread I read where someone did this had a GT500, since those don't have a camera option. Maybe that will help you search? I do remember that person installed it in it faux gas cap. If I recall correctly, there were instructions in the thread if you can find it.
Old 2/3/15, 07:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's a link to a write up on a head unit install with backup camera, it's mostly about the head unit, but it does cover the camera install too.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...w-pics-455116/
Old 2/3/15, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got a cheap one from ebay like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-CMOS-Wide-Angle-Car-Rear-View-Reverse-Backup-View-Parking-Camera-New-/121218948132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c39365c24

Then I took the lock out and the camera fits right in the opening perfectly. It was a super easy job. I also ran a switched hot wire to it so I could turn it on while driving instead of it just being powered by the reverse light. If you do this you'll need to install a cheap inline Diode to keep it from sending 12 volts to your backup light and turning that on while driving..... unless of course you want to give the people behind you a heart attack.
Old 2/3/15, 12:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Andy H

Waterproof CMOS Wide Angle Car Rear View Reverse Backup View Parking Camera New | eBay

Then I took the lock out and the camera fits right in the opening perfectly. It was a super easy job. I also ran a switched hot wire to it so I could turn it on while driving instead of it just being powered by the reverse light. If you do this you'll need to install a cheap inline Diode to keep it from sending 12 volts to your backup light and turning that on while driving..... unless of course you want to give the people behind you a heart attack.
breaking necks has the same result as a heart attack right

Thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it
Old 2/3/15, 12:26 PM
GT Member

Waterproof CMOS Wide Angle Car Rear View Reverse Backup View Parking Camera New | eBay

how exactly did u take the lock out? just hollowed out the hole?
Old 2/3/15, 11:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
trunk key hole 😆 fob then works fine . but took it out do not like what my eyes cannot see to trust.
Old 2/4/15, 12:11 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
trunk key hole 😆 fob then works fine . but took it out do not like what my eyes cannot see to trust.
sorry what? confused by what you mean
Old 2/4/15, 12:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
i removed my trunk key & put the camera there. not many could tell. The trunk was still accessable by the key fob.
I don't like cameras so i took it out because i feel if i can see it with my own eyes or judge myself then i dont need to drive.
Old 2/4/15, 08:11 AM

I think it was only a couple bolts holding the lock in, don't remember for sure but I do remember it was really easy.

here is what it looks like with the camera, nobody would know it was there unless i told them.

Old 2/4/15, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I also put mine in the trunk key hole. Just some screws holding it in place. I made a bracket from a thin strip of metal to hold it firmly in place. I also installed a trunk release button in the car in case the fob fails.

Easy and clean looking to put it in the key hole.
Old 2/5/15, 12:23 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
i removed my trunk key & put the camera there. not many could tell. The trunk was still accessable by the key fob.
I don't like cameras so i took it out because i feel if i can see it with my own eyes or judge myself then i dont need to drive.
ah got it! thanks man sorry bout that
Old 2/5/15, 05:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a Pioneer Navigation Receiver model AVIC-8000NEX and have been looking at the Pioneer ND-BC6 camera but it looks like the only place it could be mounted is on either side of the license plate light.

Does anyone have any experience with this camera? Where did you mount it?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Cameras/ND-BC6
Old 9/4/15, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$150 for the camera????? Wow! I got one from Aliexpress for about $10 and it is fine. I tried a transmitting type but found I got too much interference so went with a wired camera. It is a license plate mount similar to the one in the OP's post which is noticeable but I may paint the bracket to match the plate so it is not so noticeable - or perhaps the car color.
I like the key mount idea though, but I also like (but never use) the key lock just in case.
Old 9/4/15, 01:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Briank
$150 for the camera????? Wow! I got one from Aliexpress for about $10 and it is fine. I tried a transmitting type but found I got too much interference so went with a wired camera. It is a license plate mount similar to the one in the OP's post which is noticeable but I may paint the bracket to match the plate so it is not so noticeable - or perhaps the car color.
I like the key mount idea though, but I also like (but never use) the key lock just in case.
I hear you, they are not cheap. Have it mounted now. Friend of mine said it could be converted to the key hole and I just need to see how he mounted his.

Name:  IMG_9599%20Medium_zpshyfiew1o.jpg
Views: 5361
Size:  131.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9607%20Medium_zps9jle3kay.jpg
Views: 5576
Size:  173.6 KB
Old 9/13/15, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a great spot to mount it. I might have to relocate mine.
Old 12/27/15, 01:14 PM
V6 Member

ooohh ooohhh Pics Please. Your picture link is dead.

Did you install it from the front or rear? the one I saw installed it from the inside with a homemade bracket like jim010

Last edited by randyre; 12/27/15 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12/5/16, 06:06 AM

Hi guys
I made it so

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-C...cAAOSw0HVWCgX7