05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Anyone know of a Dark Candy Apple/Redfire brake caliper paint?

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/10, 12:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone know of a Dark Candy Apple/Redfire brake caliper paint?

I would like to paint the calipers of my car, but I don't want to go with the typical bright red. In my opinion, on a darker red car, the bright red calipers just don't look right. I think on any other color it would probably be fine. But on a dark red, the bright red looks like someone didn't bother to attempt to match the colors, although I know that's not necessarily true.

So anywho, does anyone know of a Dark Candy Apple Red or Redfire caliper paint? I've searched online and in the forums and haven't found anything. Heck, I'd even settle for maroon probably.
Old 5/31/10, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,

Actually, G2 offers Redfire, just select it from the dropdown. It's a bit more expensive than the standard colors, but if you want it to match, they have the specific Mustang colors.

http://www.g2usa.com/Merchant2/merch...roduct_Code=G3

Note, I just did the G2 paint this weekend and it's great stuff. Easy application and looks really smooth when finished. Note, I have a black Mustang though, so went with the standard red color. Here's two pics if you're interested:

Old 5/31/10, 03:57 PM
Cobra Member

I don't know how I missed those Mustang-specific colors. I only saw the handfull of standard colors. That Redfire is kinda steep, but I guess it's all I have to chose from if I want the color as close as possible.

By the way, did you remove your calipers or just stick your head under there and do it? It looks good either way.
Old 5/31/10, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

John,

I didn't have to remove the calipers. It was actually easier than I anticipated, but possibly a little more time consuming. Then again, I did two Mustangs in one day and did three coats of paint on each caliper. Here's a couple pics to help.

I did one end of one car and the opposite of the other, so I only had two wheels up at a time. However, I know a lot of guys get the vehicle up on all four wheels and go.

Front (S197)

Rear (SN95)

Taped off the calipers....Front (S197):

Painted (just used the brush that came with the kit). I also prepped them with a steel brush (although my S197 barely needed anything) and used the included brake cleaner before painting.

Rear painted (S197):

I was really impressed with how well (read even, smooth, and glossy) that the paint dried. It really didn't leave any brush strokes or anything.
Old 5/31/10, 05:28 PM

I used the G2 Redfire and it looks awsome! I will will post pics soon..........
Old 5/31/10, 05:52 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for those pics and tips. I just ordered the Redfire paint. Still can't believe how expensive it was, but as long as it looks good (i.e. I don't mess it up), it'll probably be worth it.

Barry, I'm looking forward to your pics.
Old 5/31/10, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm sure it'll look great John. If you have any questions along the way, let me know. I think the instructions say that you have 4-6 hours to use the paint before it starts to harden (after adding the reactor). I found that was plenty of time to add three coats to each of the calipers. I also found that there was plenty of paint in the kit. So, just take your time getting the rotors, pads, etc. taped off and you should be good. I also taped off some of the rubber parts and the brake bleeder connection, but the paint is fairly easy to work with, so even the areas I didn't have taped off, really didn't cause much of a problem.

BTW....I also picked up some Pony Decals that are black. I'll be adding those in the next week or two to add a little extra pop to them. I just wanted to see if I might be able to find a heat resistant clear coat that I could put over the decals after I apply them, to make sure they don't come off later. I'll post some pics after I get them on as well. I think they were only like $15 or so, from Southern Mustang Parts.

Last edited by UMich97; 5/31/10 at 06:49 PM.