05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Any Auto Painters Here?

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/06, 06:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any Auto Painters Here?

I have been wanting rally stripes ever since I got my car BUT the cost has always kept me from pulling the trigger. I took my car in today for some paint work on the CS side scoops and the body shop owner said that I should just go with a single stage painted stripe. No clear coat and that would be the most cost effective route. He also said that it was how the older stripes on the Shelby's were painted and they didn't have clear coat back then. Now this guy has painted some really nice cars locally and that's why I decided to use him on the scoops but I was alittle surprised when he suggested this.

BTW, stripes here in northern California that I have priced are in the $2500+ range. Labor is the big thing since I would want them to basically take my car apart to paint the pieces and sections. Shop rates are usually $70 to $90 per hour!
Old 8/23/06, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are looking at the cost-factor, are'nt vinyl stripes an alternative? I got mine for app. $ 500.00 including material and labor....
Old 8/23/06, 02:47 PM
I lust for a M24

I dunno, but I'm thinking they have to lightly sand the panel to paint the stripes on... the clear is thin enough on these cars and I'd sure think they'd want to put it back on...

...just thinking out loud...
Old 8/23/06, 03:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

but then you have to clear the whole panel and that's where the cost comes into play.
Old 8/23/06, 04:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had both vinyl and paint. They vinyl was ok, but as I've stated in several posts, it peeled, which I contribute to my installer. I saw OKCMustangGT's BSM vinyl stripes last Sunday at a local car show and his looked great. Just my opinion. but.............................if you have the stripes painted, I would have them scuff the eniter hood, trunk, top, and both bumpers, mask, paint stripes, then re clear each entire body part that was scuffed.

If you just want to paint the stripes on and not clear them, you might as well just save even more money and do vinyl. I have seen the new 3M vinyl that BSM is selling and it is a lot better than the vinyl I bought from BSM.

I know thay may have painted the original Shelby stripes w/out clear coating them, but if they had todays painting technology they would probably clear coat over the stripes. But hell the new Shelbys just have vinyl so who knows. I've done both so I felt like I should post, but ultimately you have to do what's right for you. I would still have vinyl had mine not peeled, but things happen for a reason and I am truely glad I had the stripes painted.
Old 8/23/06, 07:58 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
but then you have to clear the whole panel and that's where the cost comes into play.
Yeah, that's kinda my point... so I really don't know if it's possible to be done and have it hold up.
Old 8/24/06, 08:54 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend Liz got painted stripes with out having them cleared over. They look great in her pics:

http://www.badmustangsclub.com/galle...31&userid=1202
Old 8/24/06, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I am sure they look great when they are new. I just wonder how they would hold up over time.
Old 8/24/06, 10:36 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Originally Posted by sts767
I am sure they look great when they are new. I just wonder how they would hold up over time.

not sure.....she just got it done a couple of weeks ago.
Old 8/24/06, 10:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well he wants $1500 just to do the stripes this way and I have been quoted $2500 for the stripes with clearing all the panels.

I think I'm going to give up on stripes. I like the look of the car now and maybe the stripes would be just too much for me. It would really be a bummer to get them done and then not like it.
Old 8/24/06, 03:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Rich-

I did my complete vinyl install for less than $200. Now that counts installing it myself, but I have no regrets.

HOWEVER, for what it's worth, just my opinion here: your car looks awesome the way you have it now. It is a very classy looking Mustang; that's becoming hard to find on this new body style. Most are maybe too plain, or have a real aggressive edge. Just my opinion, but I would leave it like you have it now.
Old 8/24/06, 04:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Classy and factory looking are words that I like when someone talks to me about my car. From a person that has a very nice looking car I take that as high praise. Thanks Tom~
Old 8/24/06, 04:40 PM
Queen Of Nascar

And I just absolutely love your ducktail and center fogs.

I've never had any regrets about my painted stripes at all, but I didn't have to pay $2500 for mine either. That would have definitely been cost prohibitive for me. Come to SC Rich...I'll hook you up with a good painter.
Old 8/24/06, 11:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Well he wants $1500 just to do the stripes this way and I have been quoted $2500 for the stripes with clearing all the panels.

I think I'm going to give up on stripes. I like the look of the car now and maybe the stripes would be just too much for me. It would really be a bummer to get them done and then not like it.
Hey Rich,

I know the owner of Golden Valley Auto Body in Yuba City and told him to expect my car for stripes when it comes in. We didn't talk price but I'll let you know what he is willing to do it for. Maybe we can do a "group buy" on painted stripes!!