05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Another GT500 chin spoiler install

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/07 | 05:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
Mike

Thanks for the description and photos showing in detail how tou modified the piece to fit. Cameout really nice. Soapparently you didnot try to bond the parts back together?

Paul
Thanks.

No, no bonding. The 90* pieces were more of an afterthought, to try seeing if we could get it to work. We had the chin spoiler all mounted up, and then decided to try attaching the 90* pieces. But, the caulking does do a really nice job making it look molded together.

Sorry my modification description wasn't more specific. Everyone has different skills, so I just posted some general/required procedures. I'm hoping that with what I posted, someone can use their own "customization abilities" to determine their own way of making it work...which is what I did with what was posted by a couple of other members previously.
Old 3/4/07 | 07:23 PM
GT Member

Looks great Mike. I like how you did the 90* pieces. I am still comtemplating different ways to fill the gaps on mine.
Old 3/4/07 | 08:24 PM
GTR Member

nice job Mike.You are much more patient than I
Old 3/5/07 | 05:04 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
nice job Mike.You are much more patient than I
Actually, everything went together real nicely. Surprisingly, it was pretty straight forward, with NO issues arising.

The only patience needed was with trying to trim and mount the 90* pieces to look right. Doing that took almost as long as the chin spoiler itself. But, my dad LOVES doing custom work like that, so he was up for it.
Old 3/5/07 | 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

The words caulk and mustang in the same thread make me cringe....

But it looks good!
Old 3/5/07 | 11:24 AM

Looks very professional. I think it was well worth it.
Old 3/5/07 | 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree that customizing to your own taste is the best, but for those of you out there (including me) who don't have the skills or time to spend on fabrication, the cervini and legend splitters do look better when painted body color.
Attached Thumbnails Another GT500 chin spoiler install-mustang-004.jpg   Another GT500 chin spoiler install-mustang-002.jpg  
Old 3/5/07 | 04:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by matko
I agree that customizing to your own taste is the best, but for those of you out there (including me) who don't have the skills or time to spend on fabrication, the cervini and legend splitters do look better when painted body color.
I was looking at all the other ones out there, and figured I'd give it a shot for the $55 and a few hours of work. But, if it didn't work, the Legend or Steeda CF was the next choice. I personally don't like the Cervini's because it has to be painted.
Old 3/5/07 | 04:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Sharky
The words caulk and mustang in the same thread make me cringe....

But it looks good!
Look at the caulking on your countertops in your home. That is how it looks on the chin spoiler. It is very clean and smooth (like your counter tops should be)
Old 3/5/07 | 08:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?...4339_820px.jpg
found out that Cervinis makes one that fits the GT bumper
Old 3/5/07 | 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Look at the caulking on your countertops in your home. That is how it looks on the chin spoiler. It is very clean and smooth (like your counter tops should be)
The caulking on MY countertops looks like a$$...
But that's because I didn't do it myself.
I wish I had the time to DIY a project like that.
Old 3/6/07 | 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

Mike

After you cut the wheel well flair off, how much did your shorten the splitter?

Paul
Old 3/6/07 | 07:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Mike

After you cut the wheel well flair off, how much did your shorten the splitter?

Paul
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I didn't shorten the height at all. In terms of the "depth" from the front to back edge, it is the same as stock as well.

What I did was mount the chin spoiler on the bumper in a place that I thought looked good (which, if you can see in the pic, was just in front of where the factory mounting holes/my interior plugs are; it's where you can see the edge of the sanding). Then, I marked the splitter where the fenderwell started, and sawed it off there.

I hope that answers your question. If not, let me know, and I will try to elaborate further.
Old 3/7/07 | 01:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

For those not patient enough like Mike...Cervini's now has a solution.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...249#post859249
Old 3/7/07 | 04:58 AM
Cobra R Member

The problem with the cervini's is that it MUST be painted. It does NOT come in black like the picture shows.
Old 3/7/07 | 05:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Torrence
Sad part is you spent all that time in modifing that splitter and Cervini's just came out with a GT500 type splitter for the GT's and it looks great.
Originally Posted by matko
Originally Posted by RedDragon777
https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?...4339_820px.jpg
found out that Cervinis makes one that fits the GT bumper
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
For those not patient enough like Mike...Cervini's now has a solution.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...249#post859249
BTW Leo, you are now the fourth person on this thread alone to mention the Cervini's. . And, like I've said, the Cervini's needs to be painted, because it comes in white urethane, and therefore requires "special" painting instructions, as noted in their installation instructions.

If you are going to do that route, you might as well might the Legend chin spoiler, because it looks IDENTICAL to the Cervini's with the exception that it doesn't have the 90* pieces.

Personally, I don't like the Cervini's, Legend, or steeda *as much as* the factory GT500, because they don't have the "cutout" in the front, which gives the factory one a much more aggressive look and less bookshelf-like look (again, JMO).

And, if you have the right tools, you can do the whole thing start to finish in about 3 hours, but have it without the 90* pieces. You could probably do it in less time, as that depends on how nice you want it to look. It's the same with mods that require wiring: you can do a quick job, or you can do it right (which takes considerably longer). Mods that require wiring (ie-satellite radio install, EC mirror, shift light, etc) take a good amount of time assuming that you hide wires, ty-wrap them, and go the whole 9 to make it look factory.

What was nice about the whole thing was that I only spent $55 to see if I even liked the look. So, if it didn't work, I still had a good idea of what the car looked like with a chin spoiler.
Old 3/7/07 | 05:57 PM
GT Member

I agree with Mike concerning the Cervini's splitter. While it does look nice, it is just not for my taste. There are some similarities, but it can not compete on the price and design. The GT500 splitter does not have to be painted, and if it is ever damaged, can be replaced very cheaply.

The lines of the GT500 splitter give it a more aggressive look. The Cervini's appears to be too rounded, where the GT500 more closely follows the lines of the facia.

Installing the GT500 splitter on a factory GT facia is not that difficult and lines up pretty closely. It does require some minor fabrication, but the end result is definitely worth it.
Old 3/7/07 | 06:53 PM
Cobra Member

I looked at your pictures, but other than cutting it off and putting it back on I am not certain what that accomplished if you did not take anything off the cut line. What I thought you did to get rid of the gap that others have, is cut what you call the 90 deg part off, and then cut another 1/4" or so off the splitter (or the 90 deg part ... which from below seems to be what you are saying) so when reunited with the splitter, it mounted completely flush with the wheel well. I was hot implying you shortened the 90 deg part height, only the splitter or the part in the horizontial plane fore to aft. Does that make sense?

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I didn't shorten the height at all. In terms of the "depth" from the front to back edge, it is the same as stock as well.

What I did was mount the chin spoiler on the bumper in a place that I thought looked good (which, if you can see in the pic, was just in front of where the factory mounting holes/my interior plugs are; it's where you can see the edge of the sanding). Then, I marked the splitter where the fenderwell started, and sawed it off there.

I hope that answers your question. If not, let me know, and I will try to elaborate further.
Old 3/7/07 | 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Torrence
Sad part is you spent all that time in modifing that splitter and Cervini's just came out with a GT500 type splitter for the GT's and it looks great.
What a ripoff. $245 shipped when you can get Kevin to drop ship the GT500 spoiler for waaaay less than that.
Old 3/7/07 | 07:23 PM
Cobra R Member

I looked at your pictures, but other than cutting it off and putting it back on I am not certain what that accomplished if you did not take anything off the cut line. What I thought you did to get rid of the gap that others have, is cut what you call the 90 deg part off, and then cut another 1/4" or so off the splitter (or the 90 deg part ... which from below seems to be what you are saying) so when reunited with the splitter, it mounted completely flush with the wheel well. I was hot implying you shortened the 90 deg part height, only the splitter or the part in the horizontial plane fore to aft. Does that make sense?
I know what you're saying. It's hard to get the 90* piece to mount exactly flush with the fenderwell, because the bends are a little different. But, I did heat up the 90* piece a little to try forming it to the fenderwell a little better.

Technically, I did trim some off of the length, because I cut the chin spoiler flush with the fender well, which equated to about 3/4" from the chin spoiler itself (in front of the 90* piece). Also, I didn't just place the two pieces back together. I had to trim the 90* piece in small increments to get it to fit right.

So, I mounted the chin spoiler independent of the 90* piece. With the way I did it, I think mine is mounted in a little further than others. (basically, it doesn't stick out as much as others may)

Also, I did trim the height of the 90* piece as well, so that it sits below the upper screw in the fender well.

Hopefully, this clears up some more details. I will try taking some more pics, to further show it.

Quick Reply: Another GT500 chin spoiler install