05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Aggressive Chin Spolier

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/08, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aggressive Chin Spolier

Ok, so I ordered it from Brenspeed, and I believe I spoke with Seth. I called and asked that I noticed on this website, it has 2 forms: textured black and raw. I said how did I specify that I wanted textured black, he said not to worry because CDC only makes them one way now: black and I can choose to keep it black or paint it. I said fine, because that's what I want anyway, I wanted it to be black, because I was going for a Mach 1 theme with my Mustang.

So I order it, and Friday I receive it and take it out of the package, I examine it and it has some white powdery stuff on it, I put some saliva on it, and it appeared to rub off and it was black so I though it was fine and it was some stuff from the factory. Fast forward to Saturday, after I install it (which I thought was a PITA) I let it sit overnight for all the 3M to fully bond. So today, I was out in town and decided to go through the touch less car wash. I figured the high pressure water and soap would remove the white crap. I look at the spoiler when I come out of the car wash and it looks black. I was so happy. I go to the local Advanced Auto Parts and when I get out of the car I noticed there some white blotches still on it. When I went home and I applied some Armor All Original Protectant Wipes to it an it became black, but after drying again, it turned white. WHAT THE HECK AM I MISSING. DID I RECEIVE A WRONG SPOILER OR AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG??? Please help me. Thanks.

BTW: don't mind the date on these pics, I haven't changed the date on the camera yet. I will do this right now HAHA

Last edited by CrazyGreek89; 6/22/08 at 07:44 PM.
Old 6/22/08, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

My guess is that you have a "raw" spoiler there. When I had my classic chin spoiler from CDC it was black textured and it looked like it was already painted. It was definitely not blotchy like yours. CDC may not be making them anymore, but when was that one produced?? It could've been sitting in a warehouse for a while before you purchased it.
Old 6/22/08, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GTMark052
My guess is that you have a "raw" spoiler there. When I had my classic chin spoiler from CDC it was black textured and it looked like it was already painted. It was definitely not blotchy like yours. CDC may not be making them anymore, but when was that one produced?? It could've been sitting in a warehouse for a while before you purchased it.
OMG. This is not fair. UGH. He said that's all CDC made now, was the blacks ones that you could choose to keep the stock black look or have painted. I am definitely calling them tomorrow and want to find out what's up with that. This is the 2nd order I have placed with Brenspeed and the 2nd time I was disappointed by their service. Granted, I should have waited to install it, and was partly my fault, but this is just ridiculous. Not to mention, I knew there some modifying of the fascia involved, but I didn't think it was that bad. The whole install was crappy in my opinion. At one point, I just threw the directions away and installed it on my own. I followed the "taping" directions to the tea and examined the pictures in the installation documentation throughly and had someone else verify that I was doing it right before I attached it, and when I did a test fit, I realized that the taping was way off. I was out of tape and I called several stores around me and no one had 3M Acrylic Bonding Tape. I found something similar to it at Wal Mart so I bought that and did the rest of the installation with that tape. I still don't like the way it turned out...I couldn't get it completely flush on the sides before the opening of the lower fascia.

How much do you think it would cost to have it painted at a body shop? Problem is I can't take it off because of the installation tape. I wonder if I can just go buy some automotive paint and paint it myself...may be a lot cheaper.

Last edited by CrazyGreek89; 6/22/08 at 07:48 PM.
Old 6/22/08, 08:05 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O.K. First thing is calm down. Brenspeed has outstanding service and I'm sure they will not let you down. Second, if you had to have it painted for some reason, it would be about $100 and they would take care of tape. I'm sure that this will not be necessary though. IMO, I like the painted look anyway even though it costs more,but our Stangs are worth it. And BTW, be ready to be disappointed every now and then when you are putting mods on the stang. One thing I learned about this is, that not every mod is going to be 100% perfect. it will turn out O.K.
Old 6/22/08, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
O.K. First thing is calm down. Brenspeed has outstanding service and I'm sure they will not let you down. Second, if you had to have it painted for some reason, it would be about $100 and they would take care of tape. I'm sure that this will not be necessary though. IMO, I like the painted look anyway even though it costs more,but our Stangs are worth it. And BTW, be ready to be disappointed every now and then when you are putting mods on the stang. One thing I learned about this is, that not every mod is going to be 100% perfect. it will turn out O.K.
I know I am just somewhat disappointed. I don't want my baby looking like crap. I know you understand . Anyway, I will Brenspeed tomorrow, see what they can do for me. If worse comes to worse, I will take it my trusted body shop and have them paint it flat black or at least match the rest of the black that's on the car. Would you guys call it flat black or matte black?

Well I guess I should post some pics of the mods I did this weekend. I have a lot I didn't get to finish because of the ALL DAY THUNDERSTORM SCARE we had in Northeast PA, that we still weren't hit with. Oh Well...enjoy!

^^^ anyone find this revealing insulation weird? it's been like that since i had it

Last edited by CrazyGreek89; 6/22/08 at 08:18 PM.
Old 6/22/08, 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

Not sure if I am feeling that steering wheel cover.
Love the rear window louver though!
Old 6/22/08, 09:06 PM
Cobra Member

CDC's not making these anymore?????

Talk with Benspeed first but if you don't get anywhere I would just buy some SEM bumper black and prep the chin per instructions.
Old 6/22/08, 09:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

well i hate to tell you this, but i think he is right and cdc is only selling these in this raw finish now

that is exactly how mine came, RAW, right out of the mold.

you will have to have it painted, i tried to buff mine and get it smooth and get the mold marks off, but no joy.

either rattle can it flat black, or pay some one to spray it.

sorry dude
Old 6/23/08, 06:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
well i hate to tell you this, but i think he is right and cdc is only selling these in this raw finish now

that is exactly how mine came, RAW, right out of the mold.

you will have to have it painted, i tried to buff mine and get it smooth and get the mold marks off, but no joy.

either rattle can it flat black, or pay some one to spray it.

sorry dude
I figured that..UGH. Oh well...I wouldn't mind spraying it on my own, but would feel a little nervous to do it. HAH. If it's only $100 or so, like someone mentioned before, than I may consider it. Small price to pay for it to be done right.
Old 6/25/08, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok, so i got an estimate at Dr. Ralphs, a very reputable body shop in the Philly area. They said they will do it for $220.
Old 6/25/08, 10:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CrazyGreek89
Ok, so i got an estimate at Dr. Ralphs, a very reputable body shop in the Philly area. They said they will do it for $220.

Considering the painted ones are $50 more I wouldn't pay that much. The bumper paint is very forgiving. I painted my 2001 Jeep fender flares and they looked great when I was done. I think it cost about $30 in materials
Old 6/26/08, 12:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think there is some miss information going on here. I just recieved mine last week. Black, not painted and matches all black accents on our cars. Also, I talked to the guys at CDC and the story is the first (old) ones were not this way. They were what you are refering to as raw and need paint. It took CDC some time to get them to the current status, which is what they wanted from the beginging, ready to install if you don't want to body color match.
I suggest you call CDC and get the straight scoop first hand and then contact Brendspeed with info you get. I'm sure you recieved and old stock spoiler that obviosly needs paint. Not the new and only finish that CDC makes now.
Old 6/26/08, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

So that price is a little steep in my opinion. I just spoke and emailed Seth the pictures. He said he will look at it and talk to CDC.

I am hoping I get some kind of compensation here. Maybe a new spoiler out of the deal??? HAH
Old 6/26/08, 09:38 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by ARBO
I think there is some miss information going on here. I just recieved mine last week. Black, not painted and matches all black accents on our cars. Also, I talked to the guys at CDC and the story is the first (old) ones were not this way. They were what you are refering to as raw and need paint. It took CDC some time to get them to the current status, which is what they wanted from the beginging, ready to install if you don't want to body color match.
I suggest you call CDC and get the straight scoop first hand and then contact Brendspeed with info you get. I'm sure you recieved and old stock spoiler that obviosly needs paint. Not the new and only finish that CDC makes now.
This sounds correct.
Old 6/26/08, 09:45 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyGreek89
So that price is a little steep in my opinion. I just spoke and emailed Seth the pictures. He said he will look at it and talk to CDC.

I am hoping I get some kind of compensation here. Maybe a new spoiler out of the deal??? HAH
Ya, you wouldn't want to paint it black if you don't have to. Afterall, paint will chip whereas raw plastic won't. As for compensation....glad you put the HAH at the end of that sentence
Old 6/26/08, 09:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

so CDC was selling only black ones before, then switched to black and raw, and now they are back to only black ones???

and nobody really knew what was going on? i got mine raw, but expected black. it didnt matter anyway as i wanted to coat it with the same stuff i coated my hood and spoiler with....

shady shady shady
Old 6/26/08, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
so CDC was selling only black ones before, then switched to black and raw, and now they are back to only black ones???

and nobody really knew what was going on? i got mine raw, but expected black. it didnt matter anyway as i wanted to coat it with the same stuff i coated my hood and spoiler with....

shady shady shady
Yeah, I'm a little pissed. I got that same treatment you did. If that's the case Brenspeed is going to get a lot of complaints. Seth had no clue. I hope I can get something out of this. As for having it painted, I rather do it myself and save almost $200, but I don't trust myself and don't want to ruin my paint, in case I accidentally over spray.

Last edited by CrazyGreek89; 6/26/08 at 09:50 AM.
Old 6/26/08, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just remove it and clean off the protectant. You can always get more 2 sided tape for it. Get some plastic adhesion promoter such as Bulldog, etc and apply it to the cleaned plastic. Then go to town with a spray can. The Duplicolor spray cans have a really nice spray nozzle now and spray a very fine mist as compared to the old standard spray and spit nozzles. You'd be surprised at how well it will turn out if you just take your time and do light coats of paint. JMO
Old 6/26/08, 09:47 PM
GT Member

get it professionally painted and make a protective screen for your AC condenser. I'm on my7 second condenser because it was unprotected..

Old 6/27/08, 06:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jizabel
get it professionally painted and make a protective screen for your AC condenser. I'm on my7 second condenser because it was unprotected..

Someone else told me about that condenser as well. Where can one of these be bought? And yes, I think I am going to get it professionally anyway. I rather gave the job done right.

Quick Reply: Aggressive Chin Spolier