05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

2nd set of saleen HID reflectors burning

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/07, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '06 Saleen (made in 4/06) with the HID lights and no problems to date. Maybe Saleen let a few few bad sets of HIDs get out the door? Call them again and ask for another set.

No problem with my Saleen supercharger either. I have 7k miles on my factory supercharged engine.

As for Realdeal's comment that "most of the new Saleens I've seen at dealerships all have had paint defects body panels that didn't fit right, and for that kind of money they ought to a least put the spoilers on straight," I'd like to know at which dealerships (plural?) he has seen these Saleens. I have yet to hear from a fellow Saleen owner about spoilers that were not put on straight. I have heard a handful complain about paint issues, but I think Saleen has taken care of their rides.

I will say Saleen's customer service can be hit or miss. But their cars haul a** and handle like no other Mustang I've owned or driven.
Old 4/25/07, 03:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I spoke to saleen today, they want me to send in pix again. The annoying this is I am going to have to remove my whole b9 front again, and have the body shop swap the headlights, this is going to be another $300. I really don't want to get another defective set, is there any info on the updated reflectors? The person I spoke to knew nothing about it.
Old 4/25/07, 06:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

I didn't realize the haze was a problem. I have a little spot above each light and just figured that was normal. Can you all post some pics of your "defective" sets?
Old 4/25/07, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

You have a defective set. That is the exact problem it will just keep getting worse and worse as you use them more.
Old 4/25/07, 10:16 PM
V6 Member

Here's the link to my original post about my HID's http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=52918 and here's a pic of one of mine from the first set.

Attachment 24933

As for Saleen's quality problems I haven't inspected a lot of them, I've maybe seen 5 or 6 a couple at the local dealership and at the past couple of Houston area new car shows. Out of these most had some body kit piece that was not on staright or paint problem usuallly its in the rear where the rear bumper and body panel meet at the seam behind the rear marker light, but I"ve also seen a lot of stock GT's with the same problem, or the middle part of the rear spoiler is not centered on the trunk or the spoiler pieces are not lined up straight. A buddy of mine had one of the first 05's in this area and he had a problem with the center exhaust melting the rear bumper. Its that you think the Saleen's should have been quality checked better before they go out the door. I'm not downing them I really like the look but In that price range it should be right.
Attached Images  
Old 4/26/07, 07:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Realdeal
Here's the link to my original post about my HID's http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=52918 and here's a pic of one of mine from the first set.

Attachment 24933

As for Saleen's quality problems I haven't inspected a lot of them, I've maybe seen 5 or 6 a couple at the local dealership and at the past couple of Houston area new car shows. Out of these most had some body kit piece that was not on staright or paint problem usuallly its in the rear where the rear bumper and body panel meet at the seam behind the rear marker light, but I"ve also seen a lot of stock GT's with the same problem, or the middle part of the rear spoiler is not centered on the trunk or the spoiler pieces are not lined up straight. A buddy of mine had one of the first 05's in this area and he had a problem with the center exhaust melting the rear bumper. Its that you think the Saleen's should have been quality checked better before they go out the door. I'm not downing them I really like the look but In that price range it should be right.
Yup that's what mine look like. Just not as big of an area yet. I've had them for over a year. Will Saleen do anything for me at this point?
Old 4/26/07, 07:34 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bpmurr
Yup that's what mine look like. Just not as big of an area yet. I've had them for over a year. Will Saleen do anything for me at this point?
If you have to contact anyone, try Carlos Duran out in California.....
I will see if I have his email addy...

Carlos gets things done.
Old 4/26/07, 07:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Burke0011

Carlos gets things done.
Thanks for looking up his email addy. Just PM me and I'll contact him. Now I just need to find that receipt...
Old 4/26/07, 11:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What I don't understand is how these highly touted ultra low voltage, low temp bulbs burn reflective metallic housings up
Old 4/26/07, 11:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Burke0011

Carlos gets things done.
Burke can you PM me his addy as well? I can try again!

I will say that they aren't very enthusiastic about helping anyone after the one year warranty is up.
Old 4/26/07, 02:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by kevinb120
What I don't understand is how these highly touted ultra low voltage, low temp bulbs burn reflective metallic housings up
I'm guessing it's the intensity of the focused light. I send an email to Saleen about my set it will be interesting to see what they say.
Old 4/26/07, 03:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

But normal merc/lincoln products all use plastic housings with simillar bulbs and they have no issues with it at all.
Old 4/26/07, 03:16 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't the stock 05 headlights have problem with some parts getting discolored due to the heat???

And as far as the units being lower wattage and heat, that doesn't mean NO heat... I would imagine if the potential was there for damage due to heat, it would simply take a little longer with these is all

Heat build up is heat build up - it would just be a question of time
Old 4/26/07, 04:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

The 05's have some issues with the paint bubbling in the black painted areas, not the reflector itself. I would expect the Saleen housings to maybe show a little wear after 6 or 7 years, not one. There are plenty of older navigators/LS with no issues whatsoever.
Old 4/28/07, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mvon919

I feel sorry for your mom and dad about you.

i feel sorry for your mom, after me and her kill this bottle of patron 2 night! lol
Old 4/28/07, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

WOW it does appear we have a lot of unhappy saleen customers here!!!
Old 4/28/07, 10:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Didn't hear back anything from Saleen yet. I'm going to follow up again next week.
Old 5/4/07, 11:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

*Update

I still had not received any response from Carlos at Saleen to my email. I called today and talked to what sounded like a young guy in the parts department. I gave him my Saleen order number. I had purchased the set on 1/10/06 however it took about a month for them to ship out. He told me I was out of the 12/12 warranty. I said from my research it looks like this is an issue that is a defect in the quality of the product and something should be done, these things weren't cheap regardless of the 12/12 crap. He told me he couldn't do anything for me other then have his manager call. Of course the manager is out until Monday. I'll let you all know what happens from there. Has anyone got anywhere from Saleen on this issue?
Old 5/4/07, 11:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmurr
*Update

Has anyone got anywhere from Saleen on this issue?
NO. Learn to love the burns.
Old 5/4/07, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Saleen sucks. They keep lying about sending me a missing K&N filter that was misssing from the 475 HP upgrade kit. Just dont want to deal with lying a*&%les anymore. I got one from JEGS.
PS: Saleen will never get another order of anykind from me again...EVER
They show their true colors AFTER the sale, not before.

Quick Reply: 2nd set of saleen HID reflectors burning