05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

2nd set of saleen HID reflectors burning

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/07, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd set of saleen HID reflectors burning

my first set of saleen headlights had a problem where the top of the reflector above the bulb got all burned up and kinda turned blue and hazy. well the set they sent me as a warranty replacement is doing it again. i doubt there going to warranty them again. i guess i will just leave them alone. ill try calling saleen tho. im really glad i dont have an s281 or saleen blower, i mean if they cant make headlights that last, what buisness do they have making cars of supercharges? saleen stuff is a joke.
Old 4/24/07, 07:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs down

Don't even get me started on the crappy Saleen service.

They wouldn't even warranty my lights ONCE. And I went down to their facility and wasted my whole DAY so they could "investigate the problem".

What a crock of SSST. They gave me the runaround about replacing the lights.

Good luck getting a second set. I'm pretty much DONE with Saleen after wasting $1299 on a pair of lights that burned up within a year.
Old 4/24/07, 07:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks like I'll wait for the true HID upgrade made by folks who know lights: Sylvania/OEM.
Old 4/24/07, 07:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Good luck..... the only problem with Saleen service is that it is- NONEXISTANT!
Old 4/24/07, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

well the saleen ballasts are sylvania, hopefully the ford ones are not the same, ill cop a set once they come out. saleen is really a joke tho, i feel sorry for errbody who bought one of their blowers or cars lol. have fun when it dies at 40k lol.
Old 4/24/07, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by official_style
well the saleen ballasts are sylvania, hopefully the ford ones are not the same, ill cop a set once they come out. saleen is really a joke tho, i feel sorry for errbody who bought one of their blowers or cars lol. have fun when it dies at 40k lol.

I feel sorry for your mom and dad about you.
Old 4/24/07, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

i would not put a blower on my car made by a company who cannot make headlights that do not burn up with use, and a short shifter that is just a cheap metal block. enjoy lol.
Old 4/24/07, 10:18 PM
Cobra R Member

i would not put a blower on my car made by a company who cannot make headlights that do not burn up with use, and a short shifter that is just a cheap metal block. enjoy lol.
Actually, for what it's worth (and I mean cost of shifter, not a FWIW), the saleen short throw "adapter" is quite a nice piece. You can't beat it for the price. It's simple and serves it's purpose. Obviously it's no replacement shifter (ie-MGW, steeda, etc), but it's also no-where near that price range either.
Old 4/24/07, 10:22 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(A) I have the Saleen HiDs and have had NO problems with them whatsoever

(B) as for slamming their series VI blower because of a headlight problem?
It is just as good the the Ford Racing Whipple and ask JDM Engineering how 'crappy' the Series VI might be.....
Old 4/24/07, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
(A) I have the Saleen HiDs and have had NO problems with them whatsoever

(B) as for slamming their series VI blower because of a headlight problem?
It is just as good the the Ford Racing Whipple and ask JDM Engineering how 'crappy' the Series VI might be.....
the headlights work fine, never had a problem there. how many hours are on yours? i bet if you have had them for a year, and you go look up close to them, the top of the reflector above the bulb is blueish and hazy. this is my 2nd set, these were supposed to be the "revised" ones. if the cannot r&d headlights to not burn up, how much long term r&d do you think went into any of their other products? plus, have you dealt with their customer service? it is a joke. good luck if you ever need a part or anything lol.
Old 4/24/07, 10:37 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the headlights work fine, never had a problem there. how many hours are on yours? i bet if you have had them for a year, and you go look up close to them, the top of the reflector above the bulb is blueish and hazy. this is my 2nd set, these were supposed to be the "revised" ones. if the cannot r&d headlights to not burn up, how much long term r&d do you think went into any of their other products? plus, have you dealt with their customer service? it is a joke. good luck if you ever need a part or anything lol.
(A) I never said ANYTHING about superior customer service from them
(no way, man)

(B) Check Mod Fords and any other site to see how many satisfied folks running the Series VI blower - and for a WHILE now. Its a great unit, plain and simple. Just cause you had probs with their headlights, don't slag such a great blower.
Old 4/24/07, 11:24 PM
Bullitt Member

i have had my headlights for about a year and a half. no problem at all. no for their customer service, yea its bad. i asked them about the headlights for the new f150s and the tonneau cover for the s197 verts and they said they would be out in about 3 weeks.......... that was 4 months ago.
Old 4/25/07, 01:06 AM
V6 Member

Yea I just noticed that my second set are starting to get the haze on the reflector but its not as bad as the first set. As far as the customer service, they treated me pretty good when I contacted them about the problem but maybe it was because I was one of the first. They sent me to my local Saleen dealership and had them order and install the second set under warranty even though I had installed the first set myself. I've had them over a year so Im not even going to bother to ask about a third pair. I bet when the OEMs do come out that they will be the same as the Saleen's. My OEM foglights did the same thing and it was starting on my stock headlamps as well. The reflectors are just cheap plastic with a chrome coating on the inside. What they need to do is put a projector lens in the same headlight bucket and try to keep the same look. I agree on the quality issue most of the new Saleens I've seen at dealerships all have had paint defects body panels that didn't fit right, and for that kind of money they ought to a least put the spoilers on straight. I can't speak for the blowers and other parts.
Old 4/25/07, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Saleen customer service is not very good, but it's getting better.

Saleen parts are superior in design and they do serve their purpose. Reading your posts, you don't seems to know a) how things work, b) how parts are made and c) what is business in general.

You said, that Saleen HIDs are made by Sylvania. No, Saleen uses another 3rd party HID reflectors in OEM Sylvania housing. I have e-mail from Saleen stating that HIDs are currently on-hold due some part issue. I assume it might be your problem.

Blah blah blah...

btw, I'm not friend not relative to Steve Saleen. Or anyone working with Saleen. I just feel you need to do your homework, before you start bashing company that does excellent parts with superb performance and style Saleen is no GMS.
Old 4/25/07, 09:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Saleen obviously didn't do enough testing if they're selling $1000+ units with faulty cheap made in China reflectors.
Old 4/25/07, 10:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mvon919

Saleen parts are superior in design and they do serve their purpose. Reading your posts, you don't seems to know a) how things work, b) how parts are made and c) what is business in general.
I can't speak for the blower so I'll leave that part alone.

However, I'm one of the early purchasers of the HID lights, I paid full freight at $1299 + tax + shipping, roughly around $1400 total.

For $1400 I expect, no, I DEMAND that my lights last longer than one year without burning, hazing, or other damage as a result of a quality defect. And if there IS a quality defect I expect the company to own up and replace their part. (If I modded my lights and burned them then I don't expect Saleen to do anything, but I haven't and let them see for themselves that I did nothing)

I spoke to their rep who convinced me to go to Saleen's Irvine facility in order to "investigate the problem" and they would replace my headlights for my trouble.

When I took a day off work and arrived there, the guy I had spoken to on the phone ("Craig Parker" in case anyone is interested) had taken a powder and no one knew anything, I ended up cooling my heels for almost two hours in the waiting area, when the techs finally looked at my car they sent some PR flack out who told me that they would "further investigate" and "let me know in two weeks whether or not they would replace the units". WTF?!? For THIS I took a day off work?!? I never heard from them again and they won't take my calls.

Maybe $1400 isn't a lot to them but it is to me! I am beyond angry at their lies, shoddy product, and abysmal service.

I don't need to know how things work at Saleen but I do recognize crappy service after the sale when I see it.
Old 4/25/07, 10:32 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Weird, I must be lucky because

a) nothing but greatness from the HIDs - bought them Christmas of 05, installed Jan of 06

b) I've had really great customer service from them - had a bad grounding pin in the wiring harness (my fault for plugging it in badly) and they emailed me back several times throughout the process. They were set to send me new parts but I offered to check a few things first. I think the guy was Andrew that I was emailing.

Old 4/25/07, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mvon919

You said, that Saleen HIDs are made by Sylvania. No, Saleen uses another 3rd party HID reflectors in OEM Sylvania housing. I have e-mail from Saleen stating that HIDs are currently on-hold due some part issue. I assume it might be your problem.

Blah blah blah...

btw, I'm not friend not relative to Steve Saleen. Or anyone working with Saleen. I just feel you need to do your homework, before you start bashing company that does excellent parts with superb performance and style Saleen is no GMS.
i actually do have a good understanding of how things work, this is my 4th car with hids. maybe you can a) not read, because i said the ballasts were made by sylvania, i did not say the whole housing was. if they make stuff with such good performance, why do they burn up when used? that doesnt seem too superb to me chief.
Old 4/25/07, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
I can't speak for the blower so I'll leave that part alone.

However, I'm one of the early purchasers of the HID lights, I paid full freight at $1299 + tax + shipping, roughly around $1400 total.

For $1400 I expect, no, I DEMAND that my lights last longer than one year without burning, hazing, or other damage as a result of a quality defect. And if there IS a quality defect I expect the company to own up and replace their part. (If I modded my lights and burned them then I don't expect Saleen to do anything, but I haven't and let them see for themselves that I did nothing)

I spoke to their rep who convinced me to go to Saleen's Irvine facility in order to "investigate the problem" and they would replace my headlights for my trouble.

When I took a day off work and arrived there, the guy I had spoken to on the phone ("Craig Parker" in case anyone is interested) had taken a powder and no one knew anything, I ended up cooling my heels for almost two hours in the waiting area, when the techs finally looked at my car they sent some PR flack out who told me that they would "further investigate" and "let me know in two weeks whether or not they would replace the units". WTF?!? For THIS I took a day off work?!? I never heard from them again and they won't take my calls.

Maybe $1400 isn't a lot to them but it is to me! I am beyond angry at their lies, shoddy product, and abysmal service.

I don't need to know how things work at Saleen but I do recognize crappy service after the sale when I see it.
i paid the same price, got them when they first came out. when i first recieved them they forgot all wiring and hardware. took me hours and hours on the phone to get them to send it to me. they sent me a free hat to make up for it. like i wanna advertise for them lol
Old 4/25/07, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

i actually do have a good understanding of how things work, this is my 4th car with hids. maybe you can a) not read, because i said the ballasts were made by sylvania, i did not say the whole housing was. if they make stuff with such good performance, why do they burn up when used? that doesnt seem too superb to me chief.
it was some other post you said Saleen HIDs are made by Sylvania.... http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ghlight=Saleen

I have e-mail from Saleen that they're solving issues with some part issues with HIDs. I suspect it might be the reflector manufacturer, so you might be correct on that.

For Saleen blowers, I've never heard or had any probs with them.

Quick Reply: 2nd set of saleen HID reflectors burning