05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

10" Stripe Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/08, 11:52 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10" Stripe Install Questions

So I finally got the ***** to try to put my 10" racing stripes with a 2" gap on. I've been hesitant but I have vacation time so what the hell. I will start Weds. morning cause I know it will take hours and hours and probably two days. I know the basics: make sure my car is very clean, rub with alcohol after wash, spray the car and stripes with the soap/water solution, keep them very wet to move around into position, squeegee the stripe down. Now if I want a two inch gap do I use one and a half inch tape and kind of guesstimate a half inch from both sides? What kind of tape did everyone use? Oh yeah how do I work around the washer nozzles and can they be removed easily? Any and all help or links will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 5/20/08, 10:00 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Washer nozzles can be removed easily, but its been a while and I've forgot. I did find a thread on how to do it though. I used the 1.5" blue painters tape and tried to keep a 1/4" gap between the tape and the stripe. Be very, very careful aligning the tape to make sure it looks down the middle from all angles because if the tape isn't straight the strip won't be either. I started with the hood, then the roof, and then the trunk. As mentioned by others the front bumper is pain, but I was trying to work around a license plate bracket that had been riveted on, if you have no bracket it might be a little easier.

USE THE SOAP, WATER, and ALCOHOL solution to keep the car drenched and the back of the stripe, try to get the stripe in place on the first try without trying to slide it around, the solution will allow you to pickup and redo. Large bubbles already under the stripe and near the center will take more time to get rid of so try to lay it with as few as possible. My stripes had protective paper on them what bubbles were left under the stripe I could see and especially feel. Just work them to the edge. Try to get them all out before it dries, its easiest now. Then peel the paper and begin working on the remaining bubbles you missed. After I had finished I let it sit and the next day I did have to remove some small bubbles on the hood. This was the first piece I tried and I definitely got better as I went.

I would say start on the hood, go to the roof, then the trunk, this will give you the experience to work on the harder pieces the bumper and spoiler if you have one. If I ever have to do it again it will be much easier, its just getting over that first one. My best advise is to use the solution, alot, it'll always dry and its cheap and easy to make, its almost like idiot prevention.

Follow the directions on cleaning, I think it says hand wash in 1 week and no wax for a month.
Old 5/20/08, 03:27 PM
GT Member

So I went out and bought 2" blue painters tape. I'm guessing that will be okay, just stay very close to the tape. I figured it would be easier than getting a smaller width tape like 1 and a half inch tape and measure about a fourth of an inch out on both sides to make it 2 inches. Is that okay? Also how did everyone measure the center of the car on the hood and roof? Did you measure from the sides of the car to the center or just follow the center line of the car by eye and lay tape down?
Old 5/20/08, 03:55 PM
Post *****

I am a builder so I put some of the blue tape on my tape measure to protect the car and then measured across the hood, found the middle and then moved over to one edge of the tape be it 1 1/2" or 2" tape. I would recomend the 1 1/2" tape just because you can eyeball the 1/4" on either side and you won't be crowding the tape with the stripe but thats hindsight now. I used a wax pencil and marked the hood at several points making sure to get it absolutely perfect at the top and bottom of the hood. Then using the blue tape I started at the top of the hood and attached it up against my mark and wrapped some under the hood. I then pulled the tape out enough to do the whole hood in one pass but not letting it touch the hood yet. I then eyeballed the tape in one motion down onto the hood.
Old 5/20/08, 04:36 PM
Post *****

I got interrupted but my post above pretty well expresses the full extent of my knowledge. I think pulling the tape taught and then pulling it down in one motion is the best result for the hood. Check then to see if you hit your marks and if you didn't pull it up and do it again. The roof was easy to tape other than access being a little harder than the hood. For the trunk the fake gas cap and the sat. antenna will help as guides. Good luck. Hope I helped.
Old 5/20/08, 04:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I started with the back of the car to set a standard around the license plate, once I got my first gap set I just kept spacing it the same. I spotted a piece of tape at the back part and the front part of the space being laid out. Once you get started you will see that it’s not so hard to do. Keep it nice and wet until you have it where you want it. Pop up the washer nozzles before starting on the hood.
Old 5/21/08, 05:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two things I learned from my install experience:

1. If your stripes have a paper backing that has to be peeled off... Don't get it wet. If you do, let it dry before trying to peel it off.

2. During the cleaning / prep process, pull the grill up where it meets the bumper. You will be sliding the stripes under the grill and there is a lot of road dirt / sand that gets up under the grill. Pull the grill up as best you can and wash / blow it out well. ANY dirt or crud that gets under a stripe will show up.
Old 5/21/08, 05:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with GrnT, start at the back. Its easier to set the spacing as the stripes are cut out for the brake light. The back bumper is cake compared to the front. Get a hair dryer, this will help with the curves of the bumper and where the stripes wrap around the hood and trunk. TAKE YOUR TIME, STAY OUT OF THE SUNLIGHT AND KEEP THE CAR COOL. This will let the mixture stay longer without evaporating. Me and rrobello did mine in his garage. It was both of our first time doing an install. We even put 1/4 pins inside and out. If you plan on doing pinstripes let me know and I will give some hints on getting those straight as well.

Last edited by ETNOATS; 5/21/08 at 05:48 AM.
Old 5/21/08, 12:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
some tips.. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...postcount=1324
Old 5/21/08, 04:16 PM
V6 Member

Good article this month in Mustang Monthly on how to apply stripes on S197s.