05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

05 Emblems?

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/05, 04:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok IMHO, a poser is taking a V-6 and redoing it to look like a GT (emblem and all...I mean adding the fog lights, duel exhaust...the whole nine yards) or in 07, someone making a GT 500. you cannot be a poser if the car you are working with is not really in production. Like someone putting a M5 emblem on their BMW.

I did mine like a GT 350 of 1966/67. Since the body does not pass exactly for a 66 or 67...its not posing. The Shelby clones they are building from the 65, 66, 67 etc fastback bodies and calling them shelbys are clones and or posers.

The Cobra deal started with the mustang II's, and probably to avoid a law suit, Ford called all the high performance mustangs..."cobra's"...

As of 2005, no more cobra's....congrats to the owner of a 04 cobra, hold on to that one....last of a line.

That is why I put the 67 shelby emblems on mine. They were not called Cobra mustangs back in the day....but Shelby mustangs....cause he modded them. Now we have Rouse, Saleen, Steeda, Foose.....God Knows who else. Well, I have a Ryland.

Let us agree to disagree. If you badge your 05 or 06 mustang with a snake, think of why. Shoot put what you want. With my upgrade, I am alteast in the running in HP with the "Cobra's" of the 2000's. So hopefully I wont be embarrassed, unless I run into the few S/C Cobras out there.

When I am asked that they did not know there was a Shelby out this year, I say nope....but if they had, this is what it would have looked like.
Old 11/20/05, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I had no idea the issue would generate so much interest. Actually, my first choice would have been no fender emblem at all. I like a clean look, but when I saw those GT300 stripes in white, I just had to have them for my Sonic blue car. What a classic combination! A GT with 300 hp. It even meant something, while the original GT 350 and GT 500 actually did not. My problem was the GT and GT300 so close together. It was redundant. I would have just removed the extra GT, but it left holes, so I had to cover it up with something. I could chose from the pony emblem, some classic script, that modern 'stang thing, or the snake. The snake seemed to fit the overall theme the best, but now I do have one in every 500 people make some comment about my car being a fake. I can live with that. Most people know better, and I correct the others when they comment on the "new Cobra Mustang". Yes, it does fool a few, but come on, other than the snake, what will my car have in common with the real thing? Actually, nothing, as the real one has a bigger snake!
I parked next to an '03 Sonic blue real Cobra at a car show awhile back, and the guy was very complimentary. I even asked permission to park my "fake Cobra" next to his real one. He said that in many ways my car was better than previous SVT products (I'm not sure about that one) and even invited me to join his SVT owners club, (SVTOA). He said that I'd give many members a good run, and no one would really care that I stuck the snake on myself. So I'm keeping them.
Old 11/20/05, 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Amen. I said it before and i'll say it again. ITS YOUR CAR. DO WHAT YOU WANT AND TO heck WITH WHAT anyone thinks. Do you think I care what anyone thinks when i put a ROUSH spoiler on the back. NO I DONT. And no i dont care if you think its a ROUSH or not. Its my car not yours.... I Like it.... If paying 45K for a SHELBY gives you a certin status get a life!!!! And any auto appreasier can simply put the VIN number in his palm pilot and tell if its a Cobra or not.... Sillyness....

PS. backafter20 I just looked at your album and your car is outstanding....
Old 11/20/05, 06:42 PM
Cobra Member

I have yet to understand why if there is no Cobra model for the 05-06 then how is one being "fake"? I comprehend the argument, that "you are trying to make your car something it is not." But when and if one modifies the performance and the asethetics, why can't one place a Cobra badge on their car? IMO
Old 11/20/05, 08:36 PM
Cobra Member

I know all to well what a hot topic this can be...As the first member here or anywhere for that matter to begin this transformation, I took ALOT of heat over it. I began my project in October of 04, my Pony was one of the first off the line (744 to be exact). When I started it was simple enough, turn my 05 into a 68 GT 500 (my dream car) and race the pee out of it. This was well before Ford announced what their new Cobra was going to be... :bang: If I had known that I probably would have done her up as a GT 350, but oh well at this point I (and many others) feel she deserves her GT 500 badging. Make no mistake about it, when Fords GT 500 comes out My Pony WILL give them a run for their money. To sum it all up, if you change badging you probably better be able to back it up...
Old 11/20/05, 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Jeff. I need to take Vegas's advice and get working on my performance, though. :drive:
Old 11/21/05, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@November 20, 2005, 11:39 PM
I know all to well what a hot topic this can be...As the first member here or anywhere for that matter to begin this transformation, I took ALOT of heat over it. I began my project in October of 04, my Pony was one of the first off the line (744 to be exact). When I started it was simple enough, turn my 05 into a 68 GT 500 (my dream car) and race the pee out of it. This was well before Ford announced what their new Cobra was going to be... :bang: If I had known that I probably would have done her up as a GT 350, but oh well at this point I (and many others) feel she deserves her GT 500 badging. Make no mistake about it, when Fords GT 500 comes out My Pony WILL give them a run for their money. To sum it all up, if you change badging you probably better be able to back it up...
Vegasjay. You GT is one of the best looking blacks on this site. Congrats... Put an SC on and you are right it will probably out perform a Cobra (Shelby). PS the hireman pony looks great.
From SN-001

PS do you have a post with pics I would like to see the guages etc.....
Old 11/21/05, 09:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by SRQ05GT@November 21, 2005, 6:46 PM
Vegasjay. You GT is one of the best looking blacks on this site. Congrats... Put an SC on and you are right it will probably out perform a Cobra (Shelby). PS the hireman pony looks great.
From SN-001

PS do you have a post with pics I would like to see the guages etc.....
Thanks Jeff, The Saleen S/C is going on this winter...

I really like the Nexus series gauges, check them out on Autometers website...
Old 11/21/05, 10:15 PM

FWIW, as of right now, there will not be an S197 "Cobra". The car many refer to as the "2007 Cobra" will actually be called the Mustang Shelby GT500. The word Cobra has been discontinued by SVT and will not appear on the car (even though snake badging will... go figure). So, since an S197 Cobra won't exist at all, how can someone be accused of cloning, posing, or whatever something that doesn't exist.

http://thegt500source.com/2005/articles/sh...raout05nov.html

And on a side-note, it is interesting how often I hear some uninformed person ask me, "Is that one of the new Mach 1's?" I usually explain that I added the shaker myself, blah, blah, blah... but sometimes I just say "yea, sure is", and walk away. hahaha
Old 11/22/05, 05:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by AFBLUE@October 7, 2005, 9:15 PM
Now this is a real cobra! No really, its a real cobra. It's no any ordinary Cobra. It's a KING Cobra.

If Ford can put a cobra emblem on a mustang II with 122hp, and call it a cobra, then I really don't have a problem if someone put a cobra emblem on a mustang with 300HP.

JMO.

Now if I go and buy a GT500 Cobra, and see any Cobra emblems on non GT500's then it will bother me
Where can I get one of those wicked kewl hood decals like the one in the posted pic. That would look so beechin' on my '06.....
Old 11/30/05, 08:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some very interesting posts on the Cobra emblems. I'm having the fake center gas cap covered by a new black decal that has the silver words Shelby on the left of a Cobra and GT on the right centered. The art work will then also be reduced to put on some smooth 17" center caps on my GT Bullit Wheels.

On my CDC shaker scoop I added a set of chrome Cobra Jet emblems on each side like the 69. I'm going after the retro look. I have custom silver stripes made, but am now considering having them removed and redone with G.T. 350 cut out so the paint shows through.

Just my thoughts........