05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

05 Emblems?

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/05, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you bought it...you are allowed to express your creativity however you so desire...my opinion is just that...that being said, you could put a bently emblem on the hood if you really wanted too, would people talk, sure they would. when my car was bone stock people complained! (more like asked when i was gonna start adding stuff)...LOL...at the end of the day what matters is what you are happy with.
Old 10/23/05, 10:53 AM
V6 Member

If its wrong to take a stock mustang, mod it, and then rebadge it as something else - then someone needs to call Unique Performance and tell them to stop chopping up those 67 fastbacks and changing them into eleanors. Or is it ok because Carrol Shelby is involved? Must be given the price there getting.
Old 10/23/05, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I AGREE!!

We all need to personalize our cars to make them our own. However, I also have a 2003 BMW 540i. I see way too many 540's and 530's badged as an M5. That's just wrong. Like that really fools anyone.
Old 10/24/05, 10:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I started this post I didn't mean to offend anyone but if an owner of the last production Cobra (2004) or any other for that matter could please give me some insight into why it is wrong to place a Cobra badge on a 2005, I would be very appreciative?

Thanks
Old 10/24/05, 01:28 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by PIKE2244@October 24, 2005, 10:28 AM
When I started this post I didn't mean to offend anyone but if an owner of the last production Cobra (2004) or any other for that matter could please give me some insight into why it is wrong to place a Cobra badge on a 2005, I would be very appreciative?

Thanks
Simply put, your car is not a cobra. Do the badges looks cool, ofcourse they do, but by putting them on the car it gives the perception that you are trying to trick people into thinking your car is a cobra. No different than someone taking a v6, and putting on all the exterior parts to make it look like a GT. Do I have a problem with that, not really, but in most cases the owner of the car is trying to get people to think it is a GT, or in the case of the snakes, a cobra. Normally it doesn't sit to well with someone that has the real thing.

I had a v6 pull up to me a week ago, however, at first I thought it was a GT. It was done up like a GT, badges and all, but I could tell by the sound it was a v6. I kindly said to the driver "I like your v6". He gave me a dirty look and stomped on it. I passed him and at the next light he said "At least mine looks like yours and I saved a grand". Hmmm, makes me wonder if that was a smart move. Obviously he wasn't too happy when I pointed out that I knew it wasn't a GT.
Old 10/24/05, 02:21 PM
Cobra Member

I understand your point and I will go as far as to say that I agree with you, but when there is not a Cobra platform with which one can disguise there GT as then your explaination seems to lose some of its validity. IMO.
Old 10/24/05, 03:27 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by PIKE2244@October 24, 2005, 2:24 PM
I understand your point and I will go as far as to say that I agree with you, but when there is not a Cobra platform with which one can disguise there GT as then your explaination seems to lose some of its validity. IMO.
So you have not heard of the GT500 then huh.
Old 10/24/05, 03:36 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Or, more pointedly, we KNOW there is no 05/06 Cobra. However, a vast majority of people, including some who like Mustangs, don't. And in a year, when there ARE GT500 Cobra's driving around ...

In some cases (not all), its done to elevate the status of the car/driver to something they aren't. Either a GT posing as a Cobra, or a six as a GT. That's why it bothers some people.
Old 10/24/05, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Hum. Well I'll chime in with my opinion, I resisted for awhile, but what the heck. Some will agree and some won't. As the phrases go, that's what makes the world go around..., different strokes for different folks, etc.

Yes, it's a free country and we're allowed to express outselves, our taste, our individuality, and so on, freely (as long as we don't break laws, harm others, etc). Is everyone going to like your style/taste, No , no big deal, you may not like theirs either.

With that out of the way, you could paint pink poke-a-dots all over the car, you paid for it or your making payments on it. If you like a particular mod, then by all means, wear it out. (HA - Hopefully its in good taste and respectful of the Mustang legend).

However, being the old school Mustang "purist" that I am, I gotta draw the line somewhere. May I first say, be proud of what you have and let it stand on it's own for what it really is, whether its a V6, GT, Cobra or a Yugo. Mod your car towards making it the best you can - within your style/taste - for whichever model it really is.

Labeling a car with stickers, emblems, badges - identifying it other than what it Truly Is - it just plain wrong. It reeks of words like: Fake, Imposter, Liar, Fraud, Sham, etc. There's nothing genuine or authentic about it. Same thing as those who wear fake Rolex watches and fake diamonds, their trying to impress someone with something of much less value/quality.

For all the excuses we hear/read like: I'm just paying homage/respect to the original, there's not a 05/06 Cobra, and all the others, I call BS . After all the excuses/reasons and you get down to the real truth, (admitted or not), it's really to make the "unknowing" think you have something that you really don't. It's misleading and deceiving them and yes it's offensive to the people who paid for the real thing.

Agree or not, the Cobra emblem and many others, are symbols for legendary vehicles and others from the factory with special characteristics which are licensed, blessed, OK'd, etc by the trademark owner. They should be respected and not just stuck on anything with 4 wheels.

One other thing, for the "...if people can put Shelby stripes on their car, why can't I put a Shelby Cobra emblem on..." folks. Although many refer to them as Shelby stripes, their not, their LeMans stripes, originally used on racing vehicles, which are valid on any make/model vehicle.

Also, if you really want "some insight into why it is wrong to place a Cobra badge on a 2005 ", I'm sure you could post your question on any Cobra Mustang forum and find out much more.
Old 10/24/05, 05:21 PM
GT Member

So let me see if I get this right. If I have a 2005 Mustang and lets say a 2003 Cobra, then it would be ok for me to put a Cobra badge on my 05 since I do in fact own a Cobra?

OKAY OKAY before I get flamed I am just kidding!

I say to each their own. I am looking for new badges for my car but I don't intend to put Snakes on it. I just want something different. Any suggestions?
Old 10/24/05, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by This one's mine@October 24, 2005, 5:24 PM
...I am looking for new badges for my car but I don't intend to put Snakes on it. I just want something different. Any suggestions?
Post #3 at this Topic about the concept pony label is pretty good.
Old 10/24/05, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

try this.

[attachmentid=36960][attachmentid=36961]
Old 10/24/05, 08:54 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Well said Craig.
Old 10/25/05, 10:16 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by This one's mine@October 24, 2005, 5:24 PM
I say to each their own. I am looking for new badges for my car but I don't intend to put Snakes on it. I just want something different. Any suggestions?

you could try to convince people your 05 is a 69 Mach I by badging it that way.
Old 10/25/05, 10:33 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@October 8, 2005, 10:30 AM
I like the cobra emblem... just 'cause it looks cool.
I've got no problem w/ snakes on a car, I think it'd be different if someone actually put the words COBRA on the car. -then you're being an imposter.

My .02

i agree....the only thing different is it i were to put a supercharger in my car i might consider the cobra idea...like u know make ur own cobra
Old 10/25/05, 11:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Oh darn. I really like the Shelby / Cobra / Retro look on the 05. Now that opens me to being called a poser (or worse) if I add any Shelby or Cobra stuff. As long as I don't try to pass it off or sell it as anything other than a GT, who is the victim? The guy who doesn't know a Mustang from a Kia?

Besides, you can find clones of the 60's Shelbys now. Some are very well done. The real ones are so hideously expensive that few can afford them. Even if you have the cash for the real thing, would you drive it much?

And I believe the production is set at 7500 for the next Shelby, so you can bet there will be clones as soon as the bolt-on goodies are available. Some may go as far as swapping engines for the 5.4 when it is available... There will be plenty of debate.

I have seen a few rather horrible things done to some Mustangs on this and other sites (IMO). I just close the page and move on. No sense posting negative comments. Seems that people asking for opinions are simply seeking approval and validating their efforts. Nothing wrong with that.

*Sarcasm on*

What about the people going for the Mach 1 / Boss theme? Better put a stop to that or someone might be fooled.

That scoop better be functional, son. 'Cause if it aint...

It has a Saleen hood, therefore it MUST be a Saleen, right? Better call the poser police.

Oh, and make sure you tell the guy who has $50,000 in his AC Cobra replica that it is not a REAL Cobra. I am sure he will appreciate that and put you on his Christmas card list.

Ok, one more - the "wood" floor in my kitchen looks like real wood but it is not REAL wood. Will the madness never end?

*Sarcasm off*

In post #1 all PIKE2244 asked was, "Has anyone placed the Cobra snake on the front quarter panel? If so will you post some pics and let me know where I can find them?"

He didn't ask if it was right or wrong.
Old 10/25/05, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

First off, I have known probably just as long as most on this webstie and have followed the transformation of the upcoming 07 Cobra. But I guess I should have clarified my sentiment in regards to a current body styled cobra: I.E. an 05 - 06 / not generally just an S197 body type.

I appreciate your opinions (John / JJ / Craig) and I don't want to aggrevate those who think that no matter what I am going to place the badges on my car and to be honest I am considering what you guys have to say rather than brushing it off. I admit that I have experienced first hand what you guys are talking about; considering I owned a BMW M3 (E36) prior to my 05 GT and it seemed that everybody and there brother would badge their 3 series with an M badge all the time. Even though I could distinguish a fake from the real thing it didn't take away from the work and labor that went into creating a beautiful machine.

I believe even more so with the 05 GT considering again that there is no present 05 - 06 Cobra platform that as long as you represent the tradition of the "Cobra" platform in both performance and style one is not "FAKING" it, or trying to be something they are not. But representing Cobra on a unique level.

One more comment IMO anybody who is willing to take the time, whether at a show or in a parking lot, to stop and look is most often doing so in admiration and it is at this point that I feel seperates those who are AKA faking it and those who are realistic about what there car is. At this point one can try and lie about what their car is or they can be honest and say "My car is an 05 GT, but I built it and put the Cobra badges on because I am trying to represent what I believe an 05 Cobra would look and drive like."
Old 11/20/05, 12:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll chime in here. The 05 Mustang (especially the GT) has lots of styling cues from the early Shelby Mustangs. I have always loved the 65-66-67-68 Shelby's and when I saw the 05 I was hooked and had to get one.

I have already added a ducktail spoiler, hood scoop and GT300 rocker stripes to give it more of the retro Shelby look and I am going to add Shelby stripes in the near future. I will probably add the snake to the fender because it also gives it more of the retro look and it is a tribute to the early Shelby models not the late model Cobra. I don't think that adding the coiled snake on the fender of a GT makes you a poser, it just represents part of the retro look! JMO~
Old 11/20/05, 12:32 PM
Cobra Member

Part of the challenge that most Mustang owners face is the determination of what makes a "poser". I know that some people might accuse me since I put a GT-styled front grill (namely fog lights) on my V-6. Is that posing? Not hardly!!

What if a GT owner removes the GT badges and replaces them with V-6 pony badges? Do the badges make the car? No again... How about dual exhausts on a V-6? IMO still not posing.

So what exactly is posing? In my mind it ranks up there with the definition of RICE... and I've yet to find anyone who can provide a clear, concise, and detailed definition of rice that more than a handful of people can agree on.
Old 11/20/05, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm getting rid of my Cobra golf driver. I feel so fake.

Quick Reply: 05 Emblems?