Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

Welcome to the Lake Show...

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/12, 10:51 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Change. The theme of this young season so far for the LA Lakers. The Lakers get the blowout win tonight over the Golden State Warriors, as the franchise announced a coaching change was needed earlier in the day. Head Coach Mike Brown was relieved of his duties due to the Lakers 1-4 record. The team responded by playing freely amidst chants of "We want Phil" from the Staples Center crowd. Laker fans would love to see the 11-time NBA champion (as a head coach) once again reunite with the purple and gold. They'll just have to wait for the time being, but never say never...

Notables:

The Good:
-Energy was there from the beginning. It was to be expected from the firing earlier today. Teams usually play loose in such scenarios. Hopefully the Lakers can sustain it. Good effort from everyone tonight
-Bench play was excellent tonight. Huge contribution from second year PG Darius Morris.
-The Black Mamba set the tone early and often tonight

The Bad:
-Metta World Peace was at one point 0-10. Then he hit 3 shots in a row including an And-1. As usual he flexed and kissed his arms for the crowd.
-Dwight had a quiet night offensively, although he didn't even play in the 4th due to the blowout
-Was a little ugly offensively at times, but the Lakers are still trying to decide what offensive system to run and Nash is still hurt.

There Gary I watched the game!
Old 11/9/12, 10:55 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva

No but we have a LONG history of arguing with each other over BBall stuff.
The refs were right in Game 6
Old 11/9/12, 11:09 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
The refs were right in Game 6
Agreed!

I know what you're starting Gary you slick bastard!
Old 11/10/12, 10:43 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11/10/12, 11:35 AM
MOTM Committee Member

you bastard Zoran!!
Old 11/10/12, 12:58 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Lakers should build **** Bavetta's statue at the Staples Center.
Old 11/10/12, 01:06 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Question: What was the most disturbing subplot of the playoffs?
Answer: The officiating, also the most disturbing subplot of the past four playoffs. If you examine the last four NBA playoff campaigns, during every situation where the league definitively "needed" one of the two teams involved to win -- either to A) change the momentum of a series so it didn't end prematurely, B) keep an attractive, big-market team alive in a series, or C) advance an attractive, big-market team to another round -- the officiating appeared to be slanted towards the team that needed that game. I use the phrase "appeared to be," because reviewing an official's performance is purely subjective. Maybe I'm dead-wrong.
These were just the games that jump out in my mind (again, I could be wrong):

1999, Knicks-Pacers, Game 3 ... LJ sinks a game-winning four-pointer (called a continuation foul by referee Jess Kersey even though LJ was fouled a full second before he released the ball).
1999, Knicks-Pacers, Game 6 ... Knicks last chance to close out Indy before the series shifts back to Indiana for Game 7 ... they get every call.
1999, Spurs-Knicks, Game 3 ... down 2-0, the Knicks get every call in their first home game and win their only game of the series.
2000, Knicks-Heat, Game 7 ... Knicks advance to the conference finals ... falling out of bounds, Latrell Sprewell awarded a timeout by referee Bennett Salvatore with 2.1 seconds left even though none of the Knicks called for one ... Sprewell admits after the game that he hadn't called a timeout ... the Miami players chase the referees off the court after the game, yelling that they had been robbed ... after the game, Jamal Mashburn tells reporters, "They had three officials in their pocket" and Tim Hardaway refers to referee **** Bavetta as "Knick Bavetta."
2000, Lakers-Blazers, Game 7 ... LA shoots 21 more free throws and rallies back from a 17-point deficit in the final seven minutes ... Shaq plays an illegal defense down the stretch, undaunted ... Rasheed Wallace absolutely gets manhandled down the stretch, yet doesn't get a single call ... up by four with 25 seconds left, Shaq body-blocks Steve Smith out of bounds and the refs don't make the call (the most egregious non-call in recent memory).
2002, Celtics-Nets, Game 4 ... Celts up 2-1 ... the Nets are inexplicably allowed to push and shove Kenny Anderson and Pierce while they dribble the ball ... a number of head-scratchers go against Boston, including three offensive charges down the stretch ... four different "bull-(bleep)" chants during the game.
2002, Lakers-Kings, Game 6 ... LA needs a win to stay alive ... from an officiating standpoint, the most one-sided game of the past decade ... at least six dubious calls against the Kings in the fourth quarter alone ... LA averaged 22 free throws a game during the first five games of the series, then attempted 27 freebies in the fourth quarter alone of Game 6 ... rumors that David Stern wanted to pull a Vince McMahon and declare himself "The special guest referee" for this game prove unfounded.
(By the way, I would feel remiss if I didn't share this information: **** Bavetta was assigned to every one of the above games.)

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/...simmons/020606
Old 11/10/12, 03:17 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
Question: What was the most disturbing subplot of the playoffs?
Answer: The officiating, also the most disturbing subplot of the past four playoffs. If you examine the last four NBA playoff campaigns, during every situation where the league definitively "needed" one of the two teams involved to win -- either to A) change the momentum of a series so it didn't end prematurely, B) keep an attractive, big-market team alive in a series, or C) advance an attractive, big-market team to another round -- the officiating appeared to be slanted towards the team that needed that game. I use the phrase "appeared to be," because reviewing an official's performance is purely subjective. Maybe I'm dead-wrong.
These were just the games that jump out in my mind (again, I could be wrong):

1999, Knicks-Pacers, Game 3 ... LJ sinks a game-winning four-pointer (called a continuation foul by referee Jess Kersey even though LJ was fouled a full second before he released the ball).
1999, Knicks-Pacers, Game 6 ... Knicks last chance to close out Indy before the series shifts back to Indiana for Game 7 ... they get every call.
1999, Spurs-Knicks, Game 3 ... down 2-0, the Knicks get every call in their first home game and win their only game of the series.
2000, Knicks-Heat, Game 7 ... Knicks advance to the conference finals ... falling out of bounds, Latrell Sprewell awarded a timeout by referee Bennett Salvatore with 2.1 seconds left even though none of the Knicks called for one ... Sprewell admits after the game that he hadn't called a timeout ... the Miami players chase the referees off the court after the game, yelling that they had been robbed ... after the game, Jamal Mashburn tells reporters, "They had three officials in their pocket" and Tim Hardaway refers to referee **** Bavetta as "Knick Bavetta."
2000, Lakers-Blazers, Game 7 ... LA shoots 21 more free throws and rallies back from a 17-point deficit in the final seven minutes ... Shaq plays an illegal defense down the stretch, undaunted ... Rasheed Wallace absolutely gets manhandled down the stretch, yet doesn't get a single call ... up by four with 25 seconds left, Shaq body-blocks Steve Smith out of bounds and the refs don't make the call (the most egregious non-call in recent memory).
2002, Celtics-Nets, Game 4 ... Celts up 2-1 ... the Nets are inexplicably allowed to push and shove Kenny Anderson and Pierce while they dribble the ball ... a number of head-scratchers go against Boston, including three offensive charges down the stretch ... four different "bull-(bleep)" chants during the game.
2002, Lakers-Kings, Game 6 ... LA needs a win to stay alive ... from an officiating standpoint, the most one-sided game of the past decade ... at least six dubious calls against the Kings in the fourth quarter alone ... LA averaged 22 free throws a game during the first five games of the series, then attempted 27 freebies in the fourth quarter alone of Game 6 ... rumors that David Stern wanted to pull a Vince McMahon and declare himself "The special guest referee" for this game prove unfounded.
(By the way, I would feel remiss if I didn't share this information: **** Bavetta was assigned to every one of the above games.)

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/...simmons/020606
And there you have it.

C'mon Zoran, a Bill Simmons article?

Last edited by stangfoeva; 11/10/12 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11/10/12, 04:15 PM
Post *****

Old 11/10/12, 04:22 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I hate you Gary
Old 11/10/12, 11:10 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

And there you have it.

C'mon Zoran, a Bill Simmons article?

There were plenty more people who will tell you the same thing ...

Its fun to watch Lakers struggle like this. It won't bring back Kings' championship, but there is still a satisfaction watching Shaq struggle when he got old and no longer had referees help or when Bryant keeps getting angry every time Lakers lose (that look after a loss against the Jazz was priceless) ...

Name:  lakerskings.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  11.2 KB

Last edited by Zastava_101; 11/10/12 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11/11/12, 02:03 AM
MOTM Committee Member

When will Kings fans stop whining about that series? The fact of the matter is the Sacramento Kings LOST. They weren't good enough to win. And they choked away Game 7 on their home floor. Watching Doug Christie take a crucial 3 in the end of the 4th early in the shot clock and hit nothing but back board was priceless!

The truth is everyone thinks the refs screwed them when they lose. I didn't like the officiating in the '04 & '08 Finals against Detroit and Boston, but do you see me on here complaining about it all the time? Move on.

You can post a million quotes from self-admitted "Laker hating" "journalists" or youtube clips edited to fit their agenda and it won't matter. It won't change my mind. I saw the games, and I've looked at the stats. For every questionable call you put up in the Lakers' favor I could put one up in the King's favor, but it's moot. Lakers won 4-3. Bottom line.

If your view is representative of the King's fans & franchise then it is no wonder the Kings have been irrelevant since then.

And of course you enjoy seeing the Lakers struggle right now. Is that supposed to annoy me? Join the club.

Just makes it all the more sweeter in the end. We'll see who's enjoying it then.

16 and counting...
Old 11/11/12, 07:02 AM
Post *****

Old 11/11/12, 08:27 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

When will Kings fans stop whining about that series?
Sure we will - when **** Bavetta and David Stern end up like Tim Donaghy for fixing games.
Old 11/11/12, 09:57 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Another blowout win for the Lakers tonight as they defeat the Sacramento Kings 103-89. The Lakers have been playing a lot looser since the firing of Mike Brown, and generally seem to be having fun on the court. They went inside often to Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol with the Kings missing two key bigs. Kings forward, and their best player, DeMarcus Cousins was suspended from the game for an altercation with San Antonio Spurs announcer Sean Elliot. With no long term head coach the team played "pick-up" basketball. It's worked against two relatively young teams (Warriors and Kings), but the Lakers next opponent is the Spurs who are always well prepared. If they continue to bring this energy and even greater focus, they should be just fine.

Notables:

The Good:
-Again another night of good effort. Standouts here are the usual suspects: Dwight Howard, Jordan Hill, and Kobe Bryant. The effort led to a ton of second chance points and limiting the Kings to many one-and-done possessions.
-There were some miscues, but the team in general seems to be getting more comfortable with each other.
-Quality mins from PGs Darius Morris and Chris Duhon. If they can play like that when the Lakers are on the road, look out league.
-Another win with Steve Nash on the sidelines

The Bad:
-When the Lakers got up big they tried some risky plays for style points. Didn't truly hurt them, but it's not a habit you want to create. Keep it all business and you never have to worry about comebacks.
-This goes in line with the first point, but there were still too many turnovers

Did you see the lob to Metta tonight? Wow! LOL.

So good news tonight for Lakers fans. Perhaps more will come Monday in the form of a championship coach who holds 11 rings...
Old 11/11/12, 09:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another blowout win for the Lakers tonight as they defeat the Sacramento Kings 103-89. The Lakers have been playing a lot looser since the firing of Mike Brown, and generally seem to be having fun on the court. They went inside often to Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol with the Kings missing two key bigs. Kings forward, and their best player, DeMarcus Cousins was suspended from the game for an altercation with San Antonio Spurs announcer Sean Elliot. With no long term head coach the team played "pick-up" basketball. It's worked against two relatively young teams (Warriors and Kings), but the Lakers next opponent is the Spurs who are always well prepared. If they continue to bring this energy and even greater focus, they should be just fine.

Notables:

The Good:
-Again another night of good effort. Standouts here are the usual suspects: Dwight Howard, Jordan Hill, and Kobe Bryant. The effort led to a ton of second chance points and limiting the Kings to many one-and-done possessions.
-There were some miscues, but the team in general seems to be getting more comfortable with each other.
-Quality mins from PGs Darius Morris and Chris Duhon. If they can play like that when the Lakers are on the road, look out league.
-Another win with Steve Nash on the sidelines

The Bad:
-When the Lakers got up big they tried some risky plays for style points. Didn't truly hurt them, but it's not a habit you want to create. Keep it all business and you never have to worry about comebacks.
-This goes in line with the first point, but there were still too many turnovers

Did you see the lob to Metta tonight? Wow! LOL.

So good news tonight for Lakers fans. Perhaps more will come Monday in the form of a championship coach who holds 11 rings...
Well, you have to be excited about Phil?
Old 11/11/12, 10:12 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Well, you have to be excited about Phil?
Yessir! I'm kind of afraid to get my hopes up at this point. But I really want Phil back.
Old 11/12/12, 12:32 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I guess no PJax. In a shocking move the Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni as their next head coach!
Old 11/12/12, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess no PJax. In a shocking move the Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni as their next head coach!
It's probably because old man Jackson hates road games. Lol
Old 11/12/12, 01:04 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
It's probably because old man Jackson hates road games. Lol
Could be. There has got to be some bad blood between Jim Buss and PJax I think. Oh well, I'm gonna give Coach D'Antoni a chance. Will be interesting to see what offensive system he puts in and what defensive schemes they play

Quick Reply: Welcome to the Lake Show...