Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

Week 4 roundup...

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/06, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Week 4 roundup...

Looks like the biggest "suprise" of the week, at least in my eyes, was the crushing defeat that Chicago laid on Seattle...but really, could you expect anything less with Alexander out of the lineup? I know alot of the so called "experts" said that Alexander shouldn't make that much of a difference and I think to some degree they are correct. But if you take the best player off of any team, it's going to have a dramatic effect on you. The Bears said..."Oh look, no league MVP, guess we don't have to worry about run defense as much..."

The other game that I thought wouldn't turn out the way it did was the Pats/Bengals game. I watched the first half and it was as exciting of a game as you could as for...but NE still has that touch of putting teams away.

The 9ers look like they blew the preverbial wad against the Eagles last week, getting trounced by the Chiefs 41-0. All you can say is "ouch". Look at some of these numbers: Alex Smith: 13-25 92 yards....Frank Gore 14 carries for 65 yards. Ouch...

The Eagles showed in the first half how good their offense is....and how it can't finish things off without one Brian Westbrook in the backfield. 2 fumbles inside the 5 yard line, it should have been 21-9 at the half. Both an overexcited McNabb and with Buckhalter getting thrust into the spotlight after 2 YEARS off the field showed in the first half. McNabb was throwing the ball so hard on the first series that it was literally uncatchable by the receivers. Donovan seemed to be wanting to make a statement this game, something like "T.O. was wrong about Brett Favre and I'm gonna remind the nation what I'm capable of." Once things settled down for the Eagles offense in the second half, it was game over for the Packers.

Fun fact for the day: Did you know that T.O.'s middle name is Eldorado?

Key games for week 5:

Baltimore at Denver - I think the ride for the Ravens ends on Monday night. The Broncos are a great all around team and I think they have all the tools to beat the Ravens. It'll be a tight one though.

Dallas at Philadelphia - First off, these teams just don't like each other. Expect 3 step drops from Bledsoe to negate Philadelphia's front four and put pressure on their depleted secondary to make plays. Philadelphia SHOULD own the line of scrimmage in this game.

Washington at NY Giants - BIG divisional game for both teams, but the Giants need a win here or they are pretty much done, as they arguably may have the toughest schedule in the league. The last thing that the Giants defense needs is another offense putting up big points on them early, so I would expect lots and lots of blitzing.

Fun game for the week:

Tennessee at Indianapolis - should be a fun game for Manning...the number 2 offense against the number 19 pass defense. If you like the air assualt like I do, this should be a fun one.

My picks for the week:
Miami at New England - Pats.
Tampa at New Orleans - Saints
Washington at NY Giants - Washington
Detroit at Minnesota - Vikings
Cleveland at Carolina - Panthers
Buffalo at Chicago - Da Bears
St. Louis at Green Bay - Rams
Tennessee at Indianapolis - Colts
NY Jets at Jacksonville - Jets
Oakland at San Francisco - 49ers
Kansas City at Arizona - Chiefs
Dallas at Philadelphia - If the Eagles have Westbrook, the Eagles, otherwise Dallas.
Pittsburgh at San Diego - Chargers
Baltimore at Denver - Broncos
Old 10/4/06, 09:28 AM
GT Member

You gotta be kidding. You think Alexander would have made up 1/2 of the 31 point deficit they sufferred. Seatle supposedly has that high flying pass attack that never got off the ground either. The Bears were the #2 seed in the NFC last year with absolutely no QB. With Grossman, the # 5 ranked QB in the NFL, THEY ARE A WHOLE DIFFERENT TEAM. Don't get me wrong, i'm not ordering Super Bowl tickets yet and Groosman hasn't made it through a season unscathed, but its time to stand up and take notice of the best team in the NFC. They've been bad for so long, nobody wants to give them any respect.
Old 10/4/06, 12:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hang on a sec...I never said that the Bears were bad, I said I was suprised how badly they beat the Seahawks. The Bears are a solid team, their defense has been good for years, but even you have to admit, Seattle was limited in it's options on offense with what they could do.

And Alexander could have made a big difference in the score, not only in putting points on the board, but by keeping the Bears offense off the field by chewing up the clock.
Old 10/4/06, 01:45 PM
GT Member

I'll buy a "little difference" but not even 1/2 of the 31 point defficit. You could be generous and call him a 14 point difference maker, but the Bears still took it to em' like a college team in all facets of the game. I understand your point of view, it just seems like no one gives the Bears the respect they deserve. Almost like... they beat the Seahawks because...thier undefeated because...
I see your picking the Skins at NY. Thats a tough one.
Good luck in your pool.
Old 10/4/06, 04:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, with the Giants game, they need to show everyone that they can a.) actually stop someone from scoring and b.) put some points on the board other than in the 4th quarter. Until then, I'll pick the 'Skins.

Hey, I'll say that as of right now, the Bears are the best team in the NFC, hands down. It'll stay that way until someone from the NFC beats them. Like I said, their defense has been really good for the last few years, it's the offense that is a little suprising.
Old 10/4/06, 07:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PaulF
Well, with the Giants game, they need to show everyone that they can a.) actually stop someone from scoring and b.) put some points on the board other than in the 4th quarter. Until then, I'll pick the 'Skins.

Hey, I'll say that as of right now, the Bears are the best team in the NFC, hands down. It'll stay that way until someone from the NFC beats them. Like I said, their defense has been really good for the last few years, it's the offense that is a little suprising.
I agree. I must be the only guy in VA that hates the Skins, but I never bet with my heart. That Bears offense is **** surprising. I do have to admit, if i hadnt watched any of the game and someone told me on Mon. that the score was 37-6, i would have thought the bears took a preety bad whooping.
Old 10/8/06, 05:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

mastermach....OMG...those Bears are unreal!

They have to be the best team in football right now.
Old 10/8/06, 06:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PaulF
mastermach....OMG...those Bears are unreal!

They have to be the best team in football right now.
I do believe you are right. If they continue at this pace, i'll be in Chi-town for the playoffs in January again. What a great sports city.