Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

NBA lockout

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/11, 05:42 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NBA lockout

Well its great to see that the players are playing because they love the game, not for the $$$.

NEW YORK -- Commissioner David Stern gave NBA players an offer and a deadline: Accept a chance to earn up to 51 percent of basketball-related income by Wednesday or get ready for a deal that's a whole lot worse.
He wouldn't call it an ultimatum, but it didn't sit well with the union.
"The players will not be intimidated," attorney Jeffrey Kessler said early Sunday after eight hours of negotiations stretched late into the night. "They want to play, they want a season, but they are not going to sacrifice the future of all NBA players under these types of threats of intimidation. It's not happening on Derek Fisher's watch; it's not happening on Billy Hunter's watch; it's not happening on the watch of this executive committee."
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/71...able-wednesday
Old 11/6/11, 06:13 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I say F them and blow up the league. Then they all can see what they are really worth.
Old 11/6/11, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bucketball sucks
Old 11/6/11, 06:25 PM
GT Member

They complain about ticket sales in lower markets.They say it's because lower markets can't afford high paid talent.Maybe they should lower the price of tickets.
Old 11/6/11, 08:23 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FAP_Zastava_Ikarbus
Well its great to see that the players are playing because they love the game, not for the $$$.
yes, because all the money the owners will save from lowering player salaries will benefit us fans??

Riiiiiggghhhhtttt.

Either way the fans are screwed.

So I'd rather see the players get a bigger piece of the pie.
Old 11/6/11, 08:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
No, maybe they should take the hint and *get out of the lower markets*. As in, there's not enough 'upper echelon' cities. A reduced number of teams would enhance the league as the consolidated talent would naturally migrate to the remaning teams, and therefore make the game better.

Cleveland comes to mind. That city can't afford to support LeBron and his dream of a championship. So he moved. Cleveland isn't going to BE a champion in the NBA... until and unless there is a loss of, oh, 4 teams.

Golden State Warriors.
Washington Wizards nee Bullets

Gimme two more. Perhaps Cleveland and Houston. Houston's a better baseball team than basketball anyway. The freakin' 4 in a row WNBA champs aren't here anymore, for cripes sake. WTF?! But we can handle the Dynamo, you bet!

Now, with that laughable argument outta the way, let's go to the real meat of it:

50%?!? Really?! The owners are going to *SPLIT* the net income with the work?!

That's... amazing. Honestly. Truly. I daresay, no other league even comes close. I daresay, no *business* comes close, that isn't family owned and operated... say, a convenience store or restauraunt for example.

Wish I could get that deal. I'd be retired by now.

Owners have a *ton* more invested in the game. The players, sure, but 50% worth? Right. Not buyin' it. But whatevers, I lost interest a while back, due to this stupidness: Michael Jordan.

That's right. The second best player the game ever saw. The man who commanded $30 million+ for his 3.5 comeback seasons with the Bulls. The man who is now an owner... and says "the owners can't afford the demands of the players".

Whoa, homes, you WERE a player... and got paid a TON. And now, you say you can't afford to help those who were in your position?! Nice. Love it. Welcome to the Owner's Club.

What's even more hypocritical than that, though, is the fact that even though the Bulls paid him $30M+ per, he had Nike and many others paying him too. The players get deals the owners don't.

But even if you're the 11th man on the team, what you get paid is *well more than anyone on average in the United States* sees in 3 years, or more. Maybe 5... Maybe even 10.

Matt Maloney comes to mind. That dude got *seriously* paid to... be retired. I mean, the Rockets paid him to play somewhere else, then paid him to sit on his butt... all because they were hard up for a Guard, and couldn't dare let him go. So they signed him up to a 6 year stupid money contract, he started being really sucky, they traded him, and then he hung 'em up... and they still had 2 years to go on that contract.

So I'm really tired of the player's side of it. Crybabies. I got NFL, I got motorcycle, I got car, I got Baseball, I got a whole lotta other stuff to do besides watch you primas run around and shoot a ball into a basket.

Owners should *totally* call the season, and then bring in everyone who is *not* part of the old NBA players association, and make a new league. I mean, just like Reagan and the PATCO deal. You were part of the old NBA? You ain't part of the new one.

/Sounds like I care more than I don't, but really, I get all riled up when billionaires fight millionaires when us poor schmucks are just gettin' by. Screw. Them. All.
//Won't be goin' to any games, watching any games.
Old 11/6/11, 08:43 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by houtex
No, maybe they should take the hint and *get out of the lower markets*. As in, there's not enough 'upper echelon' cities. A reduced number of teams would enhance the league as the consolidated talent would naturally migrate to the remaning teams, and therefore make the game better.

Cleveland comes to mind. That city can't afford to support LeBron and his dream of a championship. So he moved. Cleveland isn't going to BE a champion in the NBA... until and unless there is a loss of, oh, 4 teams.

Golden State Warriors.
Washington Wizards nee Bullets

Gimme two more. Perhaps Cleveland and Houston. Houston's a better baseball team than basketball anyway. The freakin' 4 in a row WNBA champs aren't here anymore, for cripes sake. WTF?! But we can handle the Dynamo, you bet!

Now, with that laughable argument outta the way, let's go to the real meat of it:

50%?!? Really?! The owners are going to *SPLIT* the net income with the work?!

That's... amazing. Honestly. Truly. I daresay, no other league even comes close. I daresay, no *business* comes close, that isn't family owned and operated... say, a convenience store or restauraunt for example.

Wish I could get that deal. I'd be retired by now.

Owners have a *ton* more invested in the game. The players, sure, but 50% worth? Right. Not buyin' it. But whatevers, I lost interest a while back, due to this stupidness: Michael Jordan.

That's right. The second best player the game ever saw. The man who commanded $30 million+ for his 3.5 comeback seasons with the Bulls. The man who is now an owner... and says "the owners can't afford the demands of the players".

Whoa, homes, you WERE a player... and got paid a TON. And now, you say you can't afford to help those who were in your position?! Nice. Love it. Welcome to the Owner's Club.

What's even more hypocritical than that, though, is the fact that even though the Bulls paid him $30M+ per, he had Nike and many others paying him too. The players get deals the owners don't.

But even if you're the 11th man on the team, what you get paid is *well more than anyone on average in the United States* sees in 3 years, or more. Maybe 5... Maybe even 10.

Matt Maloney comes to mind. That dude got *seriously* paid to... be retired. I mean, the Rockets paid him to play somewhere else, then paid him to sit on his butt... all because they were hard up for a Guard, and couldn't dare let him go. So they signed him up to a 6 year stupid money contract, he started being really sucky, they traded him, and then he hung 'em up... and they still had 2 years to go on that contract.

So I'm really tired of the player's side of it. Crybabies. I got NFL, I got motorcycle, I got car, I got Baseball, I got a whole lotta other stuff to do besides watch you primas run around and shoot a ball into a basket.

Owners should *totally* call the season, and then bring in everyone who is *not* part of the old NBA players association, and make a new league. I mean, just like Reagan and the PATCO deal. You were part of the old NBA? You ain't part of the new one.

/Sounds like I care more than I don't, but really, I get all riled up when billionaires fight millionaires when us poor schmucks are just gettin' by. Screw. Them. All.
//Won't be goin' to any games, watching any games.
I agree with most of your post.

In today's economy the league just can't sustain that many teams and have them all profitable every year. Not possible.

But just to clarify the proposed BRI split of 50-50 is not a straight up split of all profits. It is only Basketball Related Income (BRI). For example money made from TV deals does not count toward this and goes straight into the owner's pockets. And there are tons more issues being argued than just the BRI. There's hard cap, luxury tax, mid level exception, amnesty, etc. etc. It's anything but simple

A great example of this is my fav team, Lakers, new TV deal. It's worth $150 million /yr. That's enough to cover all player salaries on the team and then some. Every thing else they make from ticket sales, jerseys, etc is all profit.

Of course the Lakers are an extreme example of success, but I use that an example that the 50/50 you're hearing is not truly a 50/50
Old 11/6/11, 08:45 PM
Cobra Member

There's still an NBA???

Why?
Old 11/6/11, 08:56 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Shelby08
There's still an NBA???

Why?
at the moment there isn't!

Old 11/6/11, 08:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
at the moment there isn't!

didn't they do this last year????

maybe we'll get lucky and they'll stay gone this time
Old 11/6/11, 09:02 PM
MOTM Committee Member

didn't they do this last year????

maybe we'll get lucky and they'll stay gone this time
no that was the nfl.

They got their owners/players to agree at the last minute before they missed any games

In the nba's case they've already missed a month of pre-season/training camp and currently a week's worth of regular season games
Old 11/6/11, 09:13 PM
Post *****

My solution is this...

1. Owners hire scabs to replace players. Kind of like the Replacements movie. see how many tickets sell with no talent.
2. Players form their own league. See how hard it is to run a league and how much money they have to spend out of their own pockets.
3. After the ensuing train wrecks everyone gets back together and plays nice for 5 more years till it all starts over again.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 11/6/11 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11/6/11, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There's always the WNBA...oh wait
Old 11/6/11, 09:27 PM
Cobra Member

no that was the nfl.

They got their owners/players to agree at the last minute before they missed any games

In the nba's case they've already missed a month of pre-season/training camp and currently a week's worth of regular season games
Ohhh right another group of disgruntled employees that play a game for a living only to make $5,528,893.98 per year after taxes....I tell you we don't treat our workers right in this country.
Old 11/6/11, 09:29 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I'll take the NCAA over pro sports every day of the week, twice on Sundays, and three times during March madness.
Old 11/6/11, 09:31 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
My solution is this...

1. Owners hire scabs to replace players. Kind of like the Replacements movie. see how many tickets sell with no talent.
2. Players form their own league. See how hard it is to run a league and how much money they have to spend out of their own pockets.
3. After the ensuing train wrecks everyone gets back together and plays nice for 5 more years till it all starts over again.
Now that would be funny LOL

Ohhh right another group of disgruntled employees that play a game for a living only to make $5,528,893.98 per year after taxes....I tell you we don't treat our workers right in this country.
Someone on a sports website had an interesting comment. They said something like it's not that pro athletes get paid too much. It's more that the rest of us don't get paid enough for what we do

Last edited by stangfoeva; 11/6/11 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11/6/11, 09:31 PM
Post *****

Basketball sucks anyway. It's a foul or traveling on every play whether it's called or not.

You can make a case that in football there is holding on every play and I would listen. But it still beats basketball like a red headed step child.
Old 11/6/11, 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Basketball sucks anyway. It's a foul or traveling on every play whether it's called or not.

You can make a case that in football there is holding on every play and I would listen. But it still beats basketball like a red headed step child.
Basketball on any level completely sucks. Baseballs my game but I'll watch some overweight overpaid goons beat the shot out of each other.
Old 11/6/11, 09:42 PM
MOTM Committee Member

the only time i can stomach baseball is when it's a crucial game in the playoffs. If I wanna watch some overweight guy lick his fingertips and spit all over the place ill watch re-runs of roseanne
Old 11/6/11, 09:43 PM
Cobra Member

the only time i can stomach baseball is when it's a crucial game in the playoffs. If I wanna watch some overweight guy lick his fingertips and spit all over the place ill watch re-runs of roseanne
You forgot excessively grab his crotch.

Quick Reply: NBA lockout