Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

Chargers

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/06, 09:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chargers

Awesome 23-13 victory last night over Steelers!! Great performance by S.D.

Sound the CHARGE!!
Old 10/9/06, 09:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by wildstanglx90
Awesome 23-13 victory last night over Steelers!! Great performance by S.D.

Sound the CHARGE!!
The Steelers better get on track soon or will be looking a a high draft pick next year
Old 10/16/06, 12:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I prefer college football the Chargers are my favorite pro team. They really took it to SF today. LT had a great day and that Rivers kid did too.

I was more than a little concerned when they let Drew Brees go and I'm glad he and the Saints are doing well. But this year the Chargers are looking very strong. Playoffs for sure. After that, who knows?
Old 10/17/06, 02:48 PM
GT Member

Call me old school, but I always cringe when I here someone refer to Ladanian Tomlinson as LT. Lawrence Taylor was phoenominal and LT will always be his acronym. No offense intended to Tomlinson or the Chargers.
Old 10/18/06, 02:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have to agree with you John...though I don't cringe, I always think of Taylor when I hear that. It was just easier for everyone to call Tomlinson 'LT', too lazy to say his real name I guess lol.
Old 11/20/06, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

WoooooHoooooo

Last night was a good game against denver. I'm glad to see (LT) tomlinson get his name up in the record books for last night!
maybe we can go all the way this year. hope they embarass the raiders again next week.
Old 11/20/06, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by firestang
Last night was a good game against denver. I'm glad to see (LT) tomlinson get his name up in the record books for last night!
maybe we can go all the way this year. hope they embarass the raiders again next week.
28 TDs in a season is history this year too, as LT is on pace to destroy that. Poor Shaun Alexander gets to keep his record for one year
150+ & 3TDs vs Raiders (My prediction)
Old 11/20/06, 01:11 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats to a great comeback win and to LT.
I'm not much of a Marty Schottenheimer fan, but a win against his long time nemisis, Denver, is always a great thing. I hate Denver.
However, Marty will get ya wins in the regular season, but when it comes down to the games that really count (i.e. playoffs), he's always been known to be a choker. In other words, he's always a coach who "can't win in the playoffs", a la Tony Dungy (Bucanneers, Colts). See Cleveland, Kansas City Chiefs, and Washington Redskins.
Hopefully this will be the year, but they can't think past Oakland since Oakland's got nothing to lose, except for maybe the #1 overall draft pick.
Good luck!
Old 11/21/06, 03:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

WHOOOOOO!

OMG When I wasn't jumping up and down I was on the edge of my couch sunday night. What a game. Tomlinson is phenominal, love him or hate him you cannot deny that! He makes it look so easy. Rivers is on his game too (when he's throwing lol) and looking amazing for his 1st year as starter, only 3 (i think) interceptions so far all year! I knew it'd be a tough game, what a comeback...again! lol Olshansky ****ed me off at the end there, no excuse for that behavior.
I know what you mean JT about 'choking' in the playoffs, that's what I'm affraid of. All charger fans can do is hope that don't happen.
Old 11/22/06, 06:26 PM
Cobra Member

What worries me about the Chargers is their defense. Soon they'll have their two starters back and Merriman is a one man wrecking crew. Come to think of it, so is Tomlinson. Great on the field and a class act off it. Rivers has been playing way beyond my wildest expectations and his consistency has been superb.

Playoffs? No question. I think Marty has loosened up since earlier in the season. It looks like it. How far can the Chargers go? Who knows. It's why they play the game. Go Chargers!
Old 11/23/06, 05:24 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scottie1113
What worries me about the Chargers is their defense. Soon they'll have their two starters back and Merriman is a one man wrecking crew. Come to think of it, so is Tomlinson. Great on the field and a class act off it. Rivers has been playing way beyond my wildest expectations and his consistency has been superb.

Playoffs? No question. I think Marty has loosened up since earlier in the season. It looks like it. How far can the Chargers go? Who knows. It's why they play the game. Go Chargers!
I'd like to see a new team make a run to the Superbowl and the Chargers look good.
With their defense playing the way they are, and getting some starters back, they may peak at the right time.
Yeah, Indi has the best record in the league, so what. They may have had an undefeated record, up until their loss to Dallas, but things have finally caught up to them. Most of their games where close and they had to come from behind to win so now they've peak too early and going down hill.
I hate Peyton Manning and so I'm sure he'll choke in the playoffs, like he always does. Teams just have to look at the game film from that Dallas loss and they know what his weaknesses are, the 3-4 defense, a la Steelers.
Hopefully things will fall in place for the Chargers.
Old 11/26/06, 08:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Raiders 14 CHARGERS 21! Chalk up 3 more TD's for Tomlinson, 2 rushing and 1 pass to Gates . Off to Buffalo...
Old 11/26/06, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Really Bad call from the ref. Raiders should have won.
Old 11/26/06, 09:21 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Im in SD and I completely agree 100%, the refs gift wrapped that one for the Chargers and botched the call BIG time. Worse call Ive ever seen, and it didnt make any sense either.

BTW they also F'd my 49ers this morning with overturning that fumble (which was a fumble) and taking back the TD, they shouldve won by 3 instead of losing by 4.

I think the NFL really needs to take a look at the refs and fix the problem, way too many horrible calls that are obviously wrong and thats after getting to review them from 4-5 different angles and pause and rewind and frame by frame it, no excuse at all!!!
Old 11/26/06, 10:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rrobello
Im in SD and I completely agree 100%, the refs gift wrapped that one for the Chargers and botched the call BIG time. Worse call Ive ever seen, and it didnt make any sense either.

BTW they also F'd my 49ers this morning with overturning that fumble (which was a fumble) and taking back the TD, they shouldve won by 3 instead of losing by 4.

I think the NFL really needs to take a look at the refs and fix the problem, way too many horrible calls that are obviously wrong and thats after getting to review them from 4-5 different angles and pause and rewind and frame by frame it, no excuse at all!!!
At least someones honest. Victory antics, in your face celebration or early celebration became a forward pass. WHAT?
Old 11/26/06, 11:14 PM

well first the ref is from SD, and makes a lot of bad calls

second he misquoted/interpretted the rule he was siting; supposedly the rule he was siting is that you can not legally fumble the ball foward to your own team to advance the ball, he called it a illegal incomplete foward pass, saying that if it were to have bounced backwards it wouldve been legal

third as I understand this rule that was sited, it is illegal to advance the ball by fumbling it foward and your own team recovering it, as this rule has gone into effect before, but if recovered by the oposing team the penalty against the team committing the offense stands but so does the turn over, and then the recovering team is obviously given the opportunity to decline the penalty, which they shouldve been able to do anyways in this case and decline the penalty that the Chargers were being penalized as result of recovering the turnover. And is this rule not reviewable?

and just to avoid the possible debate over the initial comment by the ref of it being an illegal incomplete pass (being beyond the line of scrimage), if that were indeed the ruling then the penalty would be 5 yrds and loss of down, which being the 4th down on that play it would then turn the ball over on loss of downs since the penalty would negate the fact that they made a first down.
Old 11/27/06, 08:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

I agree that the call was bad, it should've been Raider ball and Jackson should've learned from his mistake.... BUT, I don't agree that the Raiders "should've" won. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the Raiders here at all, but this incident was still fairly early in the 4th with just under 12 mins left, still plenty of time for SD to work with. Yes it would've hurt SD but I don't think this call was the absolute game winner for them. If it happened late with very little time left in the game, then I'd agree Raiders should've won.
Old 11/27/06, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by wildstanglx90
I agree that the call was bad, it should've been Raider ball and Jackson should've learned from his mistake.... BUT, I don't agree that the Raiders "should've" won. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the Raiders here at all, but this incident was still fairly early in the 4th with just under 12 mins left, still plenty of time for SD to work with. Yes it would've hurt SD but I don't think this call was the absolute game winner for them. If it happened late with very little time left in the game, then I'd agree Raiders should've won.
well lets see, as a result the Chargers maintained the ball and scored a game tieing TD, thats 7 points that wouldve been gone, so Oakland wouldve gotten the ball up 14-7 and the way the game had been going wouldve most likely at least chewed up 5-6 minutes (as the chargers did in reverse since the call went their way) possibly scoring another TD (hypothetical score so we wont count it) but lets say the best happened for SD and they got the ball back with less then 5 minutes to play, theyd work the ball back down the field eating up more time and lets say they score a TD, this one wouldve only tied the game instead of won it and either ran out the game clock putting it in OT or more than likely gave the ball back to Oakland with just under 2 minutes or at least a minute to play. They couldve very likely have in either of these 2 possesions (2 the Chargers 1) scored at least 3 points and won the game, but we will never know because the refs SCREWED it up big time. The Chargers get lucky, because this very likely saved their season. If they wouldve lost this game, one that shouldve been a run away, they would be 8-3 and have Denver, and KC to deal with again and Seattle (who is getting better again), leaving the only giveme being the final game against zona, thus most likely making their hopes of taking the division and possibly the playoffs slim, once again destroying a great season. They again have a breath of life and I know this sounds wierd for a team that is 9-2, but hear me out, they have been playing like crap against some god aweful teams as of late, yes they have been pulling together some miracle comebacks in the 4th quarter, but this cant keep happening, and they were doing it against teams that they shouldve trounced to begin with and not have trailed, so no real big feat there. Not to mention that KC is on a roll and getting better with every game, going into KC will most likely be a loss, Seattle at the end of the season needed to keep their playoff hopes alive and having their players back for a couple of weeks should be back at the top of their game and be a very difficult team to play. Denver if they do fix their team, which they probably will, will be tough as usual, even with a crappy team they are always challenging and will step it up towards the end of the season as they always do to keep their playoff hopes alive. Being that these 3 of the 5 remaining teams have proven over and over again in the past that they are up to the challenge and start excell when they need to at the end of the season and the Chargers...well, have always just done the opposite. So the playoffs are definately not a certainty yet for the Chargers, and they got lucky that they didnt lose this game and thus making their chances very slim. That all said they, NEED to win against Buffallo this week to have a chance, if not it is very possible to see yet another year that the Chargers ****** defeat from the jaws of victory.
Old 11/27/06, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rrobello
well lets see, as a result the Chargers maintained the ball and scored a game tieing TD, thats 7 points that wouldve been gone, so Oakland wouldve gotten the ball up 14-7 and the way the game had been going wouldve most likely at least chewed up 5-6 minutes (as the chargers did in reverse since the call went their way) possibly scoring another TD (hypothetical score so we wont count it) but lets say the best happened for SD and they got the ball back with less then 5 minutes to play, theyd work the ball back down the field eating up more time and lets say they score a TD, this one wouldve only tied the game instead of won it and either ran out the game clock putting it in OT or more than likely gave the ball back to Oakland with just under 2 minutes or at least a minute to play. They couldve very likely have in either of these 2 possesions (2 the Chargers 1) scored at least 3 points and won the game, but we will never know because the refs SCREWED it up big time. The Chargers get lucky, because this very likely saved their season. If they wouldve lost this game, one that shouldve been a run away, they would be 8-3 and have Denver, and KC to deal with again and Seattle (who is getting better again), leaving the only giveme being the final game against zona, thus most likely making their hopes of taking the division and possibly the playoffs slim, once again destroying a great season. They again have a breath of life and I know this sounds wierd for a team that is 9-2, but hear me out, they have been playing like crap against some god aweful teams as of late, yes they have been pulling together some miracle comebacks in the 4th quarter, but this cant keep happening, and they were doing it against teams that they shouldve trounced to begin with and not have trailed, so no real big feat there. Not to mention that KC is on a roll and getting better with every game, going into KC will most likely be a loss, Seattle at the end of the season needed to keep their playoff hopes alive and having their players back for a couple of weeks should be back at the top of their game and be a very difficult team to play. Denver if they do fix their team, which they probably will, will be tough as usual, even with a crappy team they are always challenging and will step it up towards the end of the season as they always do to keep their playoff hopes alive. Being that these 3 of the 5 remaining teams have proven over and over again in the past that they are up to the challenge and start excell when they need to at the end of the season and the Chargers...well, have always just done the opposite. So the playoffs are definately not a certainty yet for the Chargers, and they got lucky that they didnt lose this game and thus making their chances very slim. That all said they, NEED to win against Buffallo this week to have a chance, if not it is very possible to see yet another year that the Chargers ****** defeat from the jaws of victory.
Good analysis!! Not a raider fan but i recall the raiders was in the scoring position during that mess. It would have been hard for the chargers to catch up at that point if raiders scores. Raiders would have been pump and will do anything to stop the chargers but who knows ? All I know the call was at a critical point and raiders should have had the ball. The receiver was a putz. LOL
Old 11/27/06, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by st06vert
Good analysis!! Not a raider fan but i recall the raiders was in the scoring position during that mess. It would have been hard for the chargers to catch up at that point if raiders scores. Raiders would have been pump and will do anything to stop the chargers but who knows ? All I know the call was at a critical point and raiders should have had the ball. The receiver was a putz. LOL
yes if I were the Chargers there would be some serious reprocussions for his mistake, at the very least some hazing from the team. Here is the ****ty thing, even thought they will obviously take the win, heck a wins a win, they are acting like it was the right call, when everyone with half a brain and knows anything about football knows it was a bad call. They should just say "hey, yeah we dont like winning like that but its in the past and nothing can change it so well take it" or something of the sort instead of being pompus and arogant about a victory that was bogus and in a game that they played like crap.

Just like that victory not too long ago against Cinci (49-41), I would never be proud about that victory. Again yes you won and you take it, but to be proud and gloat the way they did about that game was ridiculous. If I was the coach Id be yelling at my players for playing like **** all game and allowing the other team to score so many fricken points, especially a team like Cinci who they shouldve just walked all over.

Quick Reply: Chargers